Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PANIC panic panic!!!

PANIC panic panic!!!

Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Default PANIC panic panic!!!

We have just been asked for police checks and medicals!!! oh my god...is it just me or is it just getting more real and scary!!! I guess its the nerves of giving up my settled job to go to Australia with no job lined up!!!! :scared: Its finally dawning on my partner and shes now refused to do a medical!! Great! Shes perfectly fit and healthy yet hates Doctors! Has anybody thats done the medical found it invasive? And what checks do they do?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:18 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PANIC panic panic!!!

Congratulations!!

The meds are not invasive at all. The most invasive bit for a female is having your tummy felt (although I've heard that occasionally they do a breast check).

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Speargun
We have just been asked for police checks and medicals!!! oh my god...is it just me or is it just getting more real and scary!!! I guess its the nerves of giving up my settled job to go to Australia with no job lined up!!!! :scared: Its finally dawning on my partner and shes now refused to do a medical!! Great! Shes perfectly fit and healthy yet hates Doctors! Has anybody thats done the medical found it invasive? And what checks do they do?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:24 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, the medicals are very very very hyped up on this website. If your healthy, there should be absolutely nothing to worry about. You have a urine sample, your blood pressure checked, you do an eye test, you have your height measured, you have your xrays, they knock your knee with a stick to check your reflex [mine did not flinch, but I still passed] erm, I can't remember what else. But it was nothing compared to another country's medicals we had to go through for immigration purposes.

Last edited by C&R; Dec 19th 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by C&R
To be honest, the medicals are very very very hyped up on this website. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. You have a urine sample, your blood pressure checked, you do an eye test, you have your height measured, you have your xrays, they knock your knee with a stick to check your reflex [mine did not flinch, but I still passed] erm, I can't remember what else. But it was nothing compared to another country's medicals we had to go through for immigration purposes.

Thanks Guys...your comments are really appreciated and incredibly reassuring!! AND ILL MAKE SURE SHE READS THEM! She panics a fair bit...and to be honest Im a tad scared too!! I guess we are both a bit stunned that things have started moving so fast!! We wernt expecting to hear till February time!!! Oh and shes pregnant!! Not the best timing in the World so the baby isnt due till April so looking at previous posts she'll need to delay her medical till then. But I suppose I can still get mine done now?? Will sling a prawn on the barbie for her for when she finally arrives!!! lol
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Congratulations.

Good luck for the medicals.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by C&R
To be honest, the medicals are very very very hyped up on this website. If your healthy, there should be absolutely nothing to worry about. You have a urine sample, your blood pressure checked, you do an eye test, you have your height measured, you have your xrays, they knock your knee with a stick to check your reflex [mine did not flinch, but I still passed] erm, I can't remember what else. But it was nothing compared to another country's medicals we had to go through for immigration purposes.

They al take blood for sugar glucose levels and an HIV test and check your chest in the usual way with the stethoscope. The form you fill in is pretty extensive with every visit to hospital or A&E you have ever done...

good luck, it really is easy and non invasive and should only take 40 minutes so nothing to be scared of and becasue you are paying for it the staff are generally very helpful and organised

Cheers
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Guys...your comments are really appreciated and incredibly reassuring!! AND ILL MAKE SURE SHE READS THEM! She panics a fair bit...and to be honest Im a tad scared too!! I guess we are both a bit stunned that things have started moving so fast!! We wernt expecting to hear till February time!!! Oh and shes pregnant!! Not the best timing in the World so the baby isnt due till April so looking at previous posts she'll need to delay her medical till then. But I suppose I can still get mine done now?? Will sling a prawn on the barbie for her for when she finally arrives!!! lol

Hi,
I think pregnancy will prohibit her having the xray...and congratulations

Cheers

Chris
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:21 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Speargun]Thanks Guys...your comments are really appreciated We wernt expecting to hear till February time!!! Oh and shes pregnant!!

congratulations
just out of interest, have there been any real problems with the application because your partner become pregnant? I read that she may have to delay her exrays until the birth but has there been anything else?
thanks and good luck bec and egg
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:32 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't like Doctors and she's pregnant?......Oh dear

Jan
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
She doesn't like Doctors and she's pregnant?......Oh dear

Jan
Congratulations on baby and CO!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

The requirements and tests at a medical must have changed enormously within the last five years or so.
I had a chest xray, the doctor looked in my mouth at my teeth - I think? and that was it really. So easy, so simple. Why have things changed so much or was my doctor having a good day?
No fiddling around and wasting time, in and out. All done.

Oh and I was weighed by the nurse

Job done.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

"She doesn't like Doctors and she's pregnant?......Oh dear

Jan "

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
The requirements and tests at a medical must have changed enormously within the last five years or so.
I had a chest xray, the doctor looked in my mouth at my teeth - I think? and that was it really. So easy, so simple. Why have things changed so much or was my doctor having a good day?
No fiddling around and wasting time, in and out. All done.

Oh and I was weighed by the nurse

Job done.
Thanks for the good luck messages - have heard that this "little hiccup" will delay us by about 6months! I think the doctor will be seeing a fair bit of her!! And at the soonest opportunity following the birth I'll be driving her in to get her checkup done!!! Wish the medicals would be this easy!! I think it must be a lot more stringent now and depend what sort of visa you are after ...my brother has just got a 457...and had a chest x ray ....while his partner didnt have to have any checks whatsoever!!!! typical I picked the difficult one!!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations fellow 138er

Ann
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont panic! if you aint been in the can for over a year or have a major health problem ure fine.

Dave
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mindblower
Dont panic! if you aint been in the can for over a year or have a major health problem ure fine.

Dave

Although Ive put on two stone in two years....beauty of having a one year old daughter!! and never ever getting time for the gym!!! Furthest I exercise is the walk to the car!!! AND THEY HAVENT CAUGHT ME YET..SO JUST NEED TO KEEP HIDING IN THIS LITTLE BOX FOR A LITTLE LONGER !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.