Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

MrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really nice
Default Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Me and my OH are validating our Visa's in September and he is planning on staying in Oz, setting up home there while I come back to the UK to sell the house.

He currently suffers Panic Attacks and he see's the GP on a regular basis, we were wondering if he chose to stay and I come back how do we get him registered with a GP in Oz? How long does this take?

Also they dont have the NHS like they do here, so do we just need to have Health Insurance?

We would appreciate any help on this

Thanx Shell
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Originally Posted by MrNotts
Also they dont have the NHS like they do here, so do we just need to have Health Insurance?
Australia does have a national health service. It's called Medicare. You can take private health insurance if you want to, but it's not necessary.

Your husband should be able to register at the local medical centre. This will probably take about 15 minutes over the counter.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

MrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really niceMrNotts is just really nice
Default Re: Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Thank you
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Panic Attacks - GPs in OZ

Originally Posted by MrNotts

We would appreciate any help on this

Thanx Shell
It will be worth your while checking up on the system here. Some Doctors are free, some will cost, and the availability of the free ones will vary on your location.

Bulk Billing Doctors: You don't pay anything, as Medicare pays the Doctor directly, at a previously agreed rate, normally less than the doctors normal fee.
Non Bulk Billing Doctors: You pay the doctors fee, and then claim some back from Medicare.

Bulk billing figures for GP attendances in the December quarter 2008 varied between:
84.5% New South Wales and 50.6% Australian Capital Territory

You can go to any Doctor that you wish to, and be treated under Medicare. This can be very useful if your normal doctor is busy, and you need an immediate visit, as you just call round the local surgeries, till you find one that says come in right away.