Wikiposts

Painter or Tiler question

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

markaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Painter or Tiler question

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi, hope you can help with this. Hubby worked as a tiler in

the UK for a while and wants to carry on tiling or painting in Aus. However we have been told that to work as a tiler or painter here you must have completed a very long apprenticeship, which he doesn't fancy doing.

We were then told by someone who runs his own handyman business that he does mowing, painting, etc. anyway, and has had no training at all!

Can you work for another tiler (if you have no qualifications) or is it something that is not allowed at all? Also can you do small jobs if you have your own business?

Anyone know?

I need a wine.
If your going to be painting in WA you will need to be registered with the painters registration board www.prb.org.au builders do sometimes take on brush hands not qualified painters, but are becoming reluctant as the prb come inspecting and they can get fined, as well as the painter, I think the fine can be up to 10,000 dollars, mind you not heard of anyone getting that bigger fine. the prb is there for a reason though I have had to put right many jobs for people who said they had got a painter in.

Just be aware and good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt.2006
No wonder there is a shortage of tradespeople. What is the point of the TRA assessment if you have to go through another long process in order to get work when you arrive. My friend told me that her brother has worked in Perth as a postman for years (even though in England he was a qualified electrician). I could never see why he would do that until now!

Do you know of any companies that take tilers on (or do you just have to take any work you can find until the time comes to be assessed?

Thanks for all the info by the way. I have learnt more from you than all the official websites put together!
You could look in the Courier Mail if your in and around Brisbane there's a comprehensive job guide in the business supplement. Also try the local CentreLink office and register with CHR or one of the other job search places.
Best way to get a start though is to visit sites and ask the tilers, I've always found that it's far easier to walk into a place and ask for a job outright than apply for loads in the paper. If your there on-site and they need someone you'll get a tryout far easier than sitting and writing a letter. I've never shown my qualifications to anyone other than the TRA and the DET.
You'll need a blue card here in QLD to get onto any site, costs around a hundred bucks and lasts until they decide to bring out a different coloured card bloody red tape you just have to get used to it
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You could look in the Courier Mail if your in and around Brisbane there's a comprehensive job guide in the business supplement. Also try the local CentreLink office and register with CHR or one of the other job search places.
Best way to get a start though is to visit sites and ask the tilers, I've always found that it's far easier to walk into a place and ask for a job outright than apply for loads in the paper. If your there on-site and they need someone you'll get a tryout far easier than sitting and writing a letter. I've never shown my qualifications to anyone other than the TRA and the DET.
You'll need a blue card here in QLD to get onto any site, costs around a hundred bucks and lasts until they decide to bring out a different coloured card bloody red tape you just have to get used to it
is the blue card is the cpr / first aider card?
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
is the blue card is the cpr / first aider card?
No the blue card is like the CITB basic health and safety test it's a half day course at a local TAFE or a training agency like Cadet training. Really easy and basic commonsense. The CPR first aider is the one that sparkies have to complete as well as their blue card. Again it's an easy course.

http://www.masterbuilders.asn.au/tng_course_1.cfm

You'll have to note that this is not to be confused with the other blue card that you need to work with children that one is also a blue card same coulour blue but a completely different course. Confused So are most of the bloody people here.
"Can I do my blue card please?"
"Certainly sir which blue card would you like to do?"
"Oh is there more than one shade? Could I have a sky blue one to match my lunchbox?
Titter "No sir we have a blue card for child care and another bluecard for working on-site in the construction industry. Which one would you like?"
"Oh I'll just have the bluest one thanks, or would I need both if I take on an apprentice?"

Last edited by cresta57; Feb 3rd 2006 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
No the blue card is like the CITB basic health and safety test it's a half day course at a local TAFE or a training agency like Cadet training. Really easy and basic commonsense. The CPR first aider is the one that sparkies have to complete as well as their blue card. Again it's an easy course.

http://www.masterbuilders.asn.au/tng_course_1.cfm
thanks for the info mate

just done the cscs version here to renew my JIB sparkies card
along with the cpr medic first aider course
and health and safty managemnet course

the way its going paperwork wise i`ll never get time to put any cables in