Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paddling pool, will i be able to use it if i get one

Paddling pool, will i be able to use it if i get one

Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default Paddling pool, will i be able to use it if i get one

Hi, i have seen a big paddling pool for sale at big w and am interested in buying one now during the winter while they are cheap, but what i want to know is, will i be able to use it in when summer comes along, what with the water usage issues, i dont want to waste my money if i cant.

I am in melbourne and this pool states that it is 4.75m in diameter and holds just under 10,000 litres which seemed a lot to me when i read it,
It comes with a filter system which i guess means you dont have to change the water to often, i presume even less if you keep it covered.

Does anyone know what the score is with these, i mean people with pools have to fill them but perhaps this is different,

Any advice welcome, cheers, ross........
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paddling pool, will i be able to use it if i get one

Originally Posted by rosscog
Hi, i have seen a big paddling pool for sale at big w and am interested in buying one now during the winter while they are cheap, but what i want to know is, will i be able to use it in when summer comes along, what with the water usage issues, i dont want to waste my money if i cant.

I am in melbourne and this pool states that it is 4.75m in diameter and holds just under 10,000 litres which seemed a lot to me when i read it,
It comes with a filter system which i guess means you dont have to change the water to often, i presume even less if you keep it covered.

Does anyone know what the score is with these, i mean people with pools have to fill them but perhaps this is different,

Sorry I don't know, but would love to as we have a big 'pool' we brought with us. Been wondering if we would be allowed to fill it!!

Interested to see replies

Mrs J
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:51 am
ABCDiamond

Currently many council areas required you to obtain approval from the council to fill or refill a swimming pool or spa.
It is down to each local council.

Also.... will you require a pool fence ? The rules vary, but the Yarra Council require one for anything capable of containing a depth of water exceeding 300mm and which is principally used for swimming, wading or paddling, including a bathing or wading pool or spa.

Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Currently many council areas required you to obtain approval from the council to fill or refill a swimming pool or spa.

Also.... will you require a pool fence ? The rules vary, but the Yarra Council require one for anything capable of containing a depth of water exceeding 300mm and which is principally used for swimming, wading or paddling, including a bathing or wading pool or spa.
Goodness, hadn't thought of the pool fencing issue. Good point.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:54 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Don't know much about the water restrictions aspect, but we've had to return a 15ft wading pool back, coz in Queensland - you have to have a pool fence for any outdoor pool on residential land that has a depth of 450mm or more and has a volume of 2,000 litres and has a filter.

We bought a 15ft rigid sided pool with a filter, from Target for $199, thought it was a real bargain, only to find out that we would need a pool fence, so we had to take it back!!

I'd check the pool fence legislation for your area out before you buy one too.

Shell
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

To reitterate ABC, your main concern should not be water consumption but safety.

You would probably be required to erect a pool fence around it. A pain in the arse for you but not to the child who happens upon your pool and cannot swim.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:06 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

If the pool is braceless and there is nothing for a toddler to climb up on to access the pool then if it is 1.2meters and over you dont need a pool fence.......I got this info from the council, cos when they started going on about the teeny amount of water that u needed a fence round I sed ok yeah safety issues but ffs the way u r goin I need a fence round my bloody mop bucket.............and what about the huge Pacific Ocean 2 mins down the road they gonna fence that off too.........
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by biggy
If the pool is braceless and there is nothing for a toddler to climb up on to access the pool then if it is 1.2meters and over you dont need a pool fence.......I got this info from the council, cos when they started going on about the teeny amount of water that u needed a fence round I sed ok yeah safety issues but ffs the way u r goin I need a fence round my bloody mop bucket.............and what about the huge Pacific Ocean 2 mins down the road they gonna fence that off too.........
Just for reference, which Council ? As they all issue different guidleines/rules

Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:20 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for reference, which Council ? As they all issue different guidleines/rules

Livingstoneshire Council....and yeah u r right u need to check cos they r all diff sorry
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:25 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

HI Ross
Dont know about the safety issues etc as im still in the UK but we have one of these pools you do not need to change the water but you do need to add chlorine to the water and test is regularly oherwise the water will go manky and you will need to change it which for us takes almost a day to fill (we have a 15ft one) so wouldnt want to do that too often!

Kris
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:27 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi ABC,

Are you sure the different Councils have different rules??

I went today to Pine Rivers Council regarding the 15ft wading pool we bought from Target and was given the 'Queensland Local Government & Planning Guidelines for the interpretation of swimming pool fencing requirements' which obviously covers the whole of Qld not just Pine Rivers.

This booklet states word for word:

'The legislation applies only to outdoor swimming pools on residential land, and generally requires that fencing enclose such pools to inhibit unsupervised access of young children to the swimming pool.

A portable wading pool that is capable of being filled with water to a depth of no more than 450mm, has no filtration system, does not need to be fenced, not does an indoor pool completely enclosed by walls of the building.'

So any pool this size or more will need a pool fence of a certain height with self closing gates etc etc etc.

Shell
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi ABC,

Are you sure the different Councils have different rules??

I went today to Pine Rivers Council regarding the 15ft wading pool we bought from Target and was given the 'Queensland Local Government & Planning Guidelines for the interpretation of swimming pool fencing requirements' which obviously covers the whole of Qld not just Pine Rivers.

This booklet states word for word:

'The legislation applies only to outdoor swimming pools on residential land, and generally requires that fencing enclose such pools to inhibit unsupervised access of young children to the swimming pool.

A portable wading pool that is capable of being filled with water to a depth of no more than 450mm, has no filtration system, does not need to be fenced, not does an indoor pool completely enclosed by walls of the building.'

So any pool this size or more will need a pool fence of a certain height with self closing gates etc etc etc.

Shell
The booklet you have, and also at: http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/pu...nes.pdf#page=6 does seem to indicate that QLD has a standard policy.

However, it actually says at the beginning, top line page 2, "For more specific information about pool fencing requirements, contact your local council"

Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:47 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

The booklet you have, and also at: http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/pu...nes.pdf#page=6 does seem to indicate that QLD has a standard policy.

However, it actually says at the beginning, top line page 2, "For more specific information about pool fencing requirements, contact your local council"

Hmmm, I'm confused now,the Pine Rivers Council lady didn't say there were any individual Council requirements - she said all we would need to know was in that booklet

The wading pool we bought was much bigger than the size - depth, litres held and it had a filter - so I don't think any slight differences in local council requirements will make any difference though
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies,

So what you all seem to be saying is the issue of the fencing is bigger than the issue about being able to fill it.

This is basically a glorified paddling pool and in my experience the water in them gets manky pretty quickly.

Has anyone any experience with this type of pool and if so does the filter actually work, someone said about the chlorine, does that work, and can you buy covers for them,

Thanks, ross..
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks for the replies,

So what you all seem to be saying is the issue of the fencing is bigger than the issue about being able to fill it.

This is basically a glorified paddling pool and in my experience the water in them gets manky pretty quickly.

Has anyone any experience with this type of pool and if so does the filter actually work, someone said about the chlorine, does that work, and can you buy covers for them,

Thanks, ross..
I've considered getting one before, but never did. It's difficult trying to decide between a $199 one or a $30,000 fixed one !!

However, you can get covers for most of that type, that are sold in KMart and Target etc. But you should check with the shop, that your specific model does have the cover available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.