Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Packing our container - am I allowed to pack teabags etc in?

Packing our container - am I allowed to pack teabags etc in?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Packing our container - am I allowed to pack teabags etc in?

Hi everyone

We are in the middle of packing , and have got everything sorted that we think ought to be sorted (Jeyes fluid all the outdoor stuff within an inch of its life, no "proper wood", everything bubble wrapped etc etc) however;

I want to take a good few packets of PG Tips and other food (but not fresh food of course!).., maybe some jars of Branson, some tins that are old favourites with the kids, etc etc..

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to "ship in" quantities of my favourites everytime I run out whilst living over there, but I thought it would help settle me and the famuly in whilst everything is very new! LOL!

My OH says that I would have to take it in hand luggage (or backpack) which I can't do as we are doing a mega trip and visiting lots of countries on the way to Oz..

So... am I able to pack a box with my favourites non perishable food items in and chuck it into our container to be shipped with our furniture??

Ta

Yours confused in Essex (easily done)
Em x
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of
Default Re: Packing our container - am I allowed to pack teabags etc in?

Sure your not going to a desert location in Afghanistan,,,

Makes me laugh when I read these threads.

Let me guess, Aus doesnt have tea, or anything else, come to that point.

Cars run on water, and houses, well you will have to wait to believe it.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:07 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission

whatever happend to that old saying 'if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all'
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I've been on and off this thread for years and I must admit my latest return has definitely seen a change in increased smart arses and negative comments... think i might try another forum!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

i second that, some ppl can be so rude. it was a valid question that i bet just about everyone wants to know the answer to!!!!
on a mission shouldn't have answered if it makes her / him mad !!!ann
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:22 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that you can get Tetley tea bags in Australia and they're every bit as good as they are here! So you won't have to take them

Ketchup is a bit 'thin' and they've never heard of HP it's BBQ or nothing!

I believe that you can get marmite there if you look hard enough, although we saw none while out there on our reckie! I didn't see Heinz beans either, but I didn't look for 'em!

I think that you can take non perishable food in your container, but you can verify that with the shipping company!

(Personally the thing I want to take with me is Good champagne! You know the stuff that comes from the Champagne region of France!)

Good luck with your move and don't worry about the other posts Jelously is an ugly thing!

Ali x
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:32 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
The good news is that you can get Tetley tea bags in Australia and they're every bit as good as they are here! So you won't have to take them

Ketchup is a bit 'thin' and they've never heard of HP it's BBQ or nothing!

I believe that you can get marmite there if you look hard enough, although we saw none while out there on our reckie! I didn't see Heinz beans either, but I didn't look for 'em!

I think that you can take non perishable food in your container, but you can verify that with the shipping company!

(Personally the thing I want to take with me is Good champagne! You know the stuff that comes from the Champagne region of France!)

Good luck with your move and don't worry about the other posts Jelously is an ugly thing!

Ali x
You would have to declare alcohol and then would be liable for Tax.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

This is hardly contributing towards answering the question is it?

Don't join a thread if you can't add something valuable!!!!

Anyway,
i gather you are self packing??? if so why don't you give crown or some company a call and ask them what the deal is with it?

There's nothing wrong with taking a few bits that you think you'll miss while your shipping is there?.
I have read though, that it's not worth taking any type of alcohol. It ends up costing more than it's worth.

if you are self packing we'd be really interested in your experience with it we've been looking into it for a while as we don't think we can quite justify the cost of a full container for mega money!!

Sam
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Just for the sake of trying to give a semi useful reply....

I believe that they would probably have a rummage through if you put it in your container. Maybe ship it seperately? Sure if you did a search on here something owuld come up.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Bet you can't guess how many fingers I am holding up????

Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone else!!!! Double thanks for sticking up for me too! LOL!

Looks like I can pack a few non perishable foodies.. it all helps with costs and settling down.. yay!

OH has just told me off for rising to the dimwit! ooops! He says that they are best ignored.. he's probably right!

Em x
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Thanks everyone else!!!! Double thanks for sticking up for me too! LOL!

Looks like I can pack a few non perishable foodies.. it all helps with costs and settling down.. yay!

OH has just told me off for rising to the dimwit! ooops! He says that they are best ignored.. he's probably right!

Em x
yes, ignore the trolls !

we took some canned/wrapped food items in our container but didn't declare them-if you declare, then AQIS will take a VERY close look at the contents of your container.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
yes, ignore the trolls !

we took some canned/wrapped food items in our container but didn't declare them-if you declare, then AQIS will take a VERY close look at the contents of your container.
Really?! Ah... well, might just give it a miss then.. dont want to give customs any reasons for taking too much interest in our container and thus holding up our stuff..

We've also been told by our friends (who live in Perth) to buy all our white goods here too.. and considering we have a rather huge container to fill, we might as well make use of it!

Thanks...

Em x
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Really?! Ah... well, might just give it a miss then.. dont want to give customs any reasons for taking too much interest in our container and thus holding up our stuff..

We've also been told by our friends (who live in Perth) to buy all our white goods here too.. and considering we have a rather huge container to fill, we might as well make use of it!

Thanks...

Em x
You can bring food as long as its not fruit, veg, dairy products or meat. All the items you've mentioned above are fine.
Declaring them is a sensible idea as they may fine you for NOT declaring if they find them.
Declaring stuff does not affect the likelihood of AQIS checking your container.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I request that certain posters on this thread to go away and read the rules.

If the only posts you intend to make are snide nasty ones then you are not wanted on this forum and I suggest you leave now before you find yourself banned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.