P85 Tax Form?

Old May 22nd 2005, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question P85 Tax Form?

Hi All

I have just sorted out all my tax issues for 204-2005 (self assessment etc.) and have been told about a P85 form that i shoud fill in. can any one fill me in on this matter and how important it is to sort this one out before i go back to Aus in August.

All input will be greatfully recieved on this one has any thing to do with the inland revenue I find as clear as muddy water (it seems to be the nature of the beast where the tax office is concerned).

Many Thanks

Signman Glen
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:59 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: P85 Tax Form?

Originally Posted by Signman Glen
Hi All

I have just sorted out all my tax issues for 204-2005 (self assessment etc.) and have been told about a P85 form that i shoud fill in. can any one fill me in on this matter and how important it is to sort this one out before i go back to Aus in August.

All input will be greatfully recieved on this one has any thing to do with the inland revenue I find as clear as muddy water (it seems to be the nature of the beast where the tax office is concerned).

Many Thanks

Signman Glen

I have one in front of me now....it's basically a form which formally notifes the IR that you are departing the country (and not returning during the current tax year to work). This then allows them to pay back tax which you have paid during the current tax year.
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:17 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for a wait before you get any money back.

I completed Form85 in December 2004, in February the Inland Revenue sent another form for completion which was forwarded to me in OZ. It had to be sent to the Autralian Tax Office for them to confirm that I had an Oz Tax File Number (TFN) who then returned it to me for onward transmission to the UK.

I telephoned the UK Inland Revenue last week to find out why I still hadn't had my tax overpayment refunded to be told that they had logged the documentation as being received at the beginning of April and that it normally took 6-8 weeks from then to be dealt with!! So allow around 6 months from start to finish!

Maybe others have been luckier?
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Be prepared for a wait before you get any money back.

I completed Form85 in December 2004, in February the Inland Revenue sent another form for completion which was forwarded to me in OZ. It had to be sent to the Autralian Tax Office for them to confirm that I had an Oz Tax File Number (TFN) who then returned it to me for onward transmission to the UK.

I telephoned the UK Inland Revenue last week to find out why I still hadn't had my tax overpayment refunded to be told that they had logged the documentation as being received at the beginning of April and that it normally took 6-8 weeks from then to be dealt with!! So allow around 6 months from start to finish!

Maybe others have been luckier?
I didn't have to supply a TFN - and haven't heard of anyone else being asked for one either?
My form went in mid October as soon as I finished work, had the money in my account by mid November. Wonder why yours took so long?
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:49 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

I think they wanted me to stay as a good example of a civilised being, and continue to fund the UK - and wanted to make it difficult for me financially

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I didn't have to supply a TFN - and haven't heard of anyone else being asked for one either?
My form went in mid October as soon as I finished work, had the money in my account by mid November. Wonder why yours took so long?