Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzie views of Poms

Ozzie views of Poms

Old May 21st 2004, 3:48 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Question Ozzie views of Poms

For all of you living in Oz or who have spent a lot of time there here is a question...

What do the Australians think of us Pom's??
Especially those that emigrate there?
Old May 21st 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzie views of Poms

Originally posted by cagandchris
For all of you living in Oz or who have spent a lot of time there here is a question...

I've lived here for over 24 years and have never, ever had the feeling that I've been treated any differently from anyone else because I'm English.

When you're new you might get the odd joke made about sporting prowess or showering frequency - but it's always done in fun, never nasty. I think most Australian's would view English migrants (as long as there's no whingeing to be heard) as people who've seen the light!
Old May 21st 2004, 11:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Some think we whinge a bit but generally being a pom is not an issue. I find the accent helps in job hunting but others here have had a different experience.
Old May 22nd 2004, 4:23 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

We don't really care, to be honest. The English are fairly common in Australia. I've never really seen an issue made of someone being from the UK yet that I've met personally.

Just be yourself.

Oh, and we're Aussies, not Ozzies. That's an ostrich or a rock dinosaur.
Old May 22nd 2004, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

There are plenty of Brits around so you are not a novelty unless you go and live somewhere isolated. Most of the Aussies descent from the Uk anyway, they all seem to have relies from there.

We have been welcomed completely by Aussies, they don't hold anything against us and are the friendliest bunch I know. This goes for the kids as well!
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Im getting a bit tired of the double take peeps do when I open my mouth when Im out and about but Im in nz anyway. The people here though generally are very welcoming so I think if you are nice to the aussies they will be nice back
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the English kids get any stick when they start at new schools out there,not that my boy should be worried, he has just won the English National Schoolboys Boxing Title .He has just got his new boxing shorts for when he starts boxing out there,sorted club out already.On his shorts waistband he has embroided,English and Proud.Should make his boxing bouts in OZ a bit lively i think.
Old May 22nd 2004, 7:03 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ'ers we met and lived amongst were universally very friendly and positive to the thought of more Brits coming out to live in Dunedin.
Old May 22nd 2004, 7:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
NZ'ers we met and lived amongst were universally very friendly and positive to the thought of more Brits coming out to live in Dunedin.

Might consider a move there one day or maybe sample the north island, I know all areas will be very different from one another
Old May 22nd 2004, 8:49 am
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Oh, and we're Aussies, not Ozzies. That's an ostrich or a rock dinosaur.
whoops! sorry!
Old May 22nd 2004, 9:22 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

whoops! sorry!
Hehehe, no problem, it's a minor irritation to a few of us, 'tis all.
Old May 22nd 2004, 9:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Hehehe, no problem, it's a minor irritation to a few of us, 'tis all.
I've always wondered about this.
I call Australia Oz.
Australians Aussies (usually)

Thing is, some Dutch people call Australia 'Ozzie' (or Aussie).
I 'told someone off'(?!) for that once, and they said: no, the Aussies call there own country 'Aussie' too.....
And they had experienced this in the Eastern states.
And I grew up in WA, where we never called Australia 'Aussie', but 'Oz'.

Um, still with me?
Can anybody clarify?
Old May 22nd 2004, 9:55 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
I've always wondered about this.
I call Australia Oz.
Australians Aussies (usually)

Thing is, some Dutch people call Australia 'Ozzie' (or Aussie).
I 'told someone off'(?!) for that once, and they said: no, the Aussies call there own country 'Aussie' too.....
And they had experienced this in the Eastern states.
And I grew up in WA, where we never called Australia 'Aussie', but 'Oz'.

Um, still with me?
Can anybody clarify?
Well simone dont get upset if you get called a ,"clog wog" aussie term of endearment for dutch people ............ MM
Old May 22nd 2004, 10:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
Well simone dont get upset if you get called a ,"clog wog" aussie term of endearment for dutch people ............ MM
Never had that in my previous 9 years
And if I was called something it was either Dutchy or goldfish(don't ask) or dim sim....

I think it helps that I have an Aussie passport and accent to match!

Now, are you going to answer my question?
Old May 22nd 2004, 10:10 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Never had that in my previous 9 years
And if I was called something it was either Dutchy or goldfish(don't ask) or dim sim....

I think it helps that I have an Aussie passport and accent to match!

Now, are you going to answer my question?
ME thinks your accent ,to an aussie may have changed, slightly so unless you are taking lessons ,i dont think it will be long before some one picks it up , i have been here 41yrs and still some person will say , are you english?? [mainly elderly country aussies] i say no i,m naturalised. .............mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.