Reload this Page >

Ozone Layer Missing above Oz

Ozone Layer Missing above Oz

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Ozone Layer Missing above Oz

Hi everyone

We've heard quite a few reports recently on the radio and today the Environmental Protection Agency were speaking in central Perth saying that there's a whopping big hole in the ozone above Oz. Anyone know where it is? I have a nice suntan but they're saying that more land in Oz will rapidly become inhabitable, and the weather patterns according to the locals we've spoken to are changing - Perth's already becoming a lot more humid.
Please bear this in mind when you arrive and house hunt. I would suggest if the retic is working but you have burn marks in the lawn, when your neighbours have lush green grass plus the house seems amazingly cheap beware!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:01 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ozone Layer Missing above Oz

we went to the melbourne grand prix the year before last. it was rainy and miserable and we all had to wear raincoats to stay dry. the day was overcast and thick rain clouds.

the strange thing was we came away with the worst sunburn i had ever had. both me and the wife were bright red and we were living in brisbane at the time so were well used to the sun.

we came away thinking the ozone problem is a lot worse than we had first thought. apparently the hole moves around so one day will be worse than others.

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi everyone

We've heard quite a few reports recently on the radio and today the Environmental Protection Agency were speaking in central Perth saying that there's a whopping big hole in the ozone above Oz. Anyone know where it is? I have a nice suntan but they're saying that more land in Oz will rapidly become inhabitable, and the weather patterns according to the locals we've spoken to are changing - Perth's already becoming a lot more humid.
Please bear this in mind when you arrive and house hunt. I would suggest if the retic is working but you have burn marks in the lawn, when your neighbours have lush green grass plus the house seems amazingly cheap beware!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:10 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozone Layer Missing above Oz

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi everyone

We've heard quite a few reports recently on the radio and today the Environmental Protection Agency were speaking in central Perth saying that there's a whopping big hole in the ozone above Oz.
Well, that's been known for years and years!
I learnt that at school.
That's why there's much more danger of getting skin cancer in Oz, and everyone had to slip slap slop.

And yes, it's getting bigger.

Good thing it's getting more attention though!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, you mean you have to take more than a raincoat, a can of spray paint and to practise your tag Good news about large areas rapidly becoming more inhabitable though.

Seriously though it is a big problem which has been known about for yonks and it is important that everyone takes the appropriate action. As dugongs said it isn't just when the sun is out that you have to worry about it. Of course the hole in the ozone layer was first detected above Antartica so Melbourne is closer to this than most places (with apologies to Tasmania).

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:27 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I was under the impression that the ozone hole was shrinking a few years back, and it was!

But it is back - try this link and click on the mpeg movie http://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/