Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz tax on lump sum payments

Oz tax on lump sum payments

Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz tax on lump sum payments

Grateful for any advice on the Oz tax implications on lump sum payments from previous employment. I am moving to Brisbane as a Skilled Independent Migrant around the middle of November.

I currently work for the military and will receive a lump sum payment in February 2004 after working with them for 23 years. This lump sum payment is tax free in the UK, according to UK tax laws. I am unsure if this lump sum payment will be deemed as income and liable to tax, at 47%, in Oz. I have written to the ATO but do not expect to hear from them for a couple of weeks.

Please reply if you have specific knowledge or experience of a similar nature.

Steve
Old Jul 25th 2003, 11:19 am
The Tooth Fairy

Default Re: Oz tax on lump sum payments

Originally posted by cookies
Grateful for any advice on the Oz tax implications on lump sum payments from previous employment. I am moving to Brisbane as a Skilled Independent Migrant around the middle of November.

I currently work for the military and will receive a lump sum payment in February 2004 after working with them for 23 years. This lump sum payment is tax free in the UK, according to UK tax laws. I am unsure if this lump sum payment will be deemed as income and liable to tax, at 47%, in Oz. I have written to the ATO but do not expect to hear from them for a couple of weeks.

Please reply if you have specific knowledge or experience of a similar nature.

Steve
Not income, taxed in UK not in Aus. Income derived from investment added to Aus income and taxed. Put in super fund, income taxed at 15%.