Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz supermarkets!

Oz supermarkets!

Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz supermarkets!

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Bread choice - much better in the UK. Cereals - wholewheat cereals not Kelloggs and the like - much better choice. Seafood ditto. .
Yoghurts, flours, bottled waters, (Jesus how sad am I, thinking of product lines where there is a better range in the UK...!).
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think there is less choice.

But does it bother you, that's the issue. And does it make life unbearable...
It bothers me when I'm having an "Australia is crap" day.

Put it this way, UK supermarkets are a delight after being abroad - just wandering down those beer aisles for 20 minutes - but I'd never want to move back to the Uk just for Tescos.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yoghurts, flours, bottled waters, (Jesus how sad am I, thinking of product lines where there is a better range in the UK...!).
I agree, the yoghurts are sooo much better in the UK. I detest them here. Can't see the water thing as we fitted a water filter in the kitchen and now have decent water on tap.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Can't see the water thing as we fitted a water filter in the kitchen and now have decent water on tap.
So do we and to me, in this particular case, water is water is water but I do remember about half an aisle in sainsbury's being taken up by different waters!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Just as important - climate - don't see many banana plantations in the Yorkshire Dales.....
How about wheat? Beef? Pork? All are imported to the UK on a large scale. Or is that a climate issue too?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Doh! Those Californian oranges I bought in Oz must have come from where? And the Kiwi fruit, Sherlock?
Australia's level of importation of food goods is but a drop in the ocean compared to the volumes flown to the UK on a daily basis to satisfy the little Englanders in the Waitrose checkout queue.

I'd explain it, but somehow I suspect someone of your intellect would be better served by some pretty pictures ... so here you go.

These maps distort the geography to neatly illustrate who the big importers of goods are. Here's dairy products, cereral, meat, groceries, veg and fish. See how big Engerland is and how small Australia is? All those aeroplanes flying backwards and forwards in the name of the demanding little British shopper. At least there's a high turnover in people to keep the shop tills ringing - life expectancy isn't what it could be either.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:17 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I hate myself for joining in on a thread about supermarkets but couldn't resist....

There really are a few rose-tinted specs here.

Supermarkets should not be an important factor in migration but to pretend that the Aussie ones are anything on a par to the UK ones (or better because they are 'different') is just plain wrong IMO.

Organic produce - hardly any in supermarkets here and still expensive if it does occur. In the UK, price difference is relatively small and they have an excellent range.

Range of products here - poor. Prices on many, many things - I hesitate to say all things - higher.

Foods with colourings and artifical additives - many here. In the UK getting less and less and seem to be only in cheapo brands if at all.

Been here two and a half years and I thought supermarkets and food shopping generally was crap when I first arrived. And I still think it's crap now. Having lived through the 80s and most of the 90s in the UK, I never thought the day would come when I would sing the praises of UK supermarkets.
I dissagre with all the above and I too am in Perth! Where I shop there is a massive range of organics...

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Totally agree, anyone who says there is a larger choice here is living in dream land, there may be a wider choice of shops to shop in but they all sell the same small range.
Coles and Woolies own a large proportion of the retail space, they just don't call all of their shops Woolies or Coles.
Don't get me wrong, I love living here and don't plan on going back to the UK but the shops are shite.

Remember a few years ago when the UK was a 'rip off' society? Well it's alive and well here and hopefully sooner or later we will stop being ripped off and the consumer will see through the greedy retailers.
I find the choice here LARGER, and I am not in dream land

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
To be fair, noone ever really says they are as good, they just like what they find and are not too effected by them, or have adjusted. There is a massive difference, some supermarkets here do seem better than others and it depends on area too.

I find it sad when the 'rose tinted' or ''delusional'' comments are wheeled out - the only people that say these are the ones who miss it the most - alot of other people have adjusted or am not truly bothered.

For the record, my experience is that I never bought any of all this variety in UK supermarkets. In fact I was distracted by all the fluff and only wanted to zero in on all the staples.

Now I have more money I would probably appreciate if I lived in the UK and had the variety on tap, and now might even enjoy and celebrate it, but as I don't, I don't miss it. I'd rather have more variety in housing stock, lifestyle etc.
I find them good.

Surely I am not the only one who thinks this?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi

No mate, you're not

You must have the same glasses as me
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

I find them good.

Mate, I do too - but apparently we're deluding ourselves. Life, apparently, would be perfect if Waitrose came to Oz in order charge gullible aussies 20 quid for a packet of pasta.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:21 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
No mate, you're not

You must have the same glasses as me
Originally Posted by Hutch
Mate, I do too - but apparently we're deluding ourselves. Life, apparently, would be perfect if Waitrose came to Oz in order charge gullible aussies 20 quid for a packet of pasta.
Good.... now where did I put my rose tinted specs..
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd rather be deluded than always finding something to moan about
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dissagre with all the above and I too am in Perth! Where I shop there is a massive range of organics...

I find the choice here LARGER, and I am not in dream land

I find them good.

We are talking about supermarkets here not speciality shops - which supermarket has a massive range of organic products?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are talking about supermarkets here not speciality shops - which supermarket has a massive range of organic products?

My local woolies and Foodland have more organic than not, but then I'm not in WA.

I grow my own anyhow, I find organic in supermarkets overpriced.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well as ever, it looks as though consensus is impossible to reach - the true believers will always see Australia's turds as smelling of roses and the true knockers will never be convinced that Australia is better than the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Well as ever, it looks as though consensus is impossible to reach - the true believers will always see Australia's turds as smelling of roses and the true knockers will never be convinced that Australia is better than the UK.
Fair enough - but I don't see it as better or worse, just different. Maybe that's the core of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.