Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ spiders immigrating

OZ spiders immigrating

Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:07 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default OZ spiders immigrating

With all the posts about people's fears of spiders in OZ l was wondering if OZ spiders such as the red back or funnel web accidently immigrated to the Uk in a shipping container or something would they breed in the Uk or would it be too cold for them and they would die off. l was reading in the NZ forum about how the OZ whitetail spider was introduced there from OZ.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Sep 13th 2006 at 10:10 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:54 am
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all
Default Re: OZ spiders immigrating

It seems there is quite a large colony of Redbacks living in Belgium and The Netherlands already. They seem quite happy and have adapted to the cold and wet weather very well. Kind of funny hey, lets ship them all over so we can relax here without the nasties. What do you think the chances of a Tigersnake would be in a London park?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:49 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freckles
It seems there is quite a large colony of Redbacks living in Belgium and The Netherlands already. They seem quite happy and have adapted to the cold and wet weather very well. Kind of funny hey, lets ship them all over so we can relax here without the nasties. What do you think the chances of a Tigersnake would be in a London park?
Yes read that in the news too, a bit of Australia in our backyard

Miranda
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum

Miranda
There are Wallabies in the peak district....they have been there for years.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:35 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Also on an island in the centre of Loch Lomond (scotland). I thought my 9 yr old was winding me up and getting a bit to Oz giddy when he came back from a canoeing trip in the hols and told me he'd seen them....I checked on the net and he was right had to apologise to him for being disbelieving
Andrea
xx
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:42 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum

Miranda
We have serpo around the corner (which is a reptile house) and they are having to move because so many snakes and other reptiles are being discarded by their owners, and are being found in the wild. As Miranda says, we have had a few reports of redbacks in Holland, and a Bird eating spider was found in a car which was stilla live after being shipped, stripped, painted and put back together again last week.

I'm actually emigrating to get away from all the creepy crawlies.

Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about those specific ones, but on GMTV the other morning there was a report on about how big the spiders are getting here :scared: something about the warmer weather and more flies for them to get fat on :scared:
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:00 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

It is migrating you are scrared of not spiders!

Spiders are all over and have been for years, just the fact that a couple of spider bites have killed people years ago scares you from moving?

So the odd one migrating is not an issue they have been around for years - it is called suvival of the species whether they catch a boat or plane.

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/recluse.html

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef631.htm

http://spiders.ucr.edu/

The talk on the US site is not about the spiders is it?

In the UK the bite of an adder can kill you - and at one time I did worry about moving from Ireland to England and you would have laughed at me!

Cheers from a complete spider/snake/creepy anything phobic living in Aus person

Last edited by Sandra; Sep 14th 2006 at 5:03 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:02 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Don't know about those specific ones, but on GMTV the other morning there was a report on about how big the spiders are getting here :scared: something about the warmer weather and more flies for them to get fat on :scared:
Our garden if full of these fellas.

Not exactly a huntsman, but a good size for european spiders , and when I walk down the garden to the garage and keep walking through the spiders webs in the dark it puts you off the buggers.

Attached Thumbnails OZ spiders immigrating-spider.jpg  
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Our garden if full of these fellas.

Not exactly a huntsman, but a good size for european spiders , and when I walk down the garden to the garage and keep walking through the spiders webs in the dark it puts you off the buggers.

Yes we have lots of the brown stripey ones in our garden. We have lots of decking and they like the wood
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:08 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Sandra
It is migrating you are scrared of not spiders!

Spiders are all over and have been for years, just the fact that a couple of spider bites have killed people years ago scares you from moving?

So the odd one migrating is not an issue they have been around for years - it is called suvival of the species whether they catch a boat or plane.

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/recluse.html

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef631.htm

http://spiders.ucr.edu/

The talk on the US site is not about the spiders is it?

In the UK the bite of an adder can kill you - and at one time I did worry about moving from Ireland to England and you would have laughed at me!

Cheers from a complete spider/snake/creepy anything phobic living in Aus person
I've got no worries about creepy crawlies at all. My father used to work in the banana ripening cellars in London 45 years ago, and he used to come home with all sorts of exotic creepy crawlies. I used to have a tree frog as a pet 30 years ago

I even had a pet python at one time. (The reason I "left" home )

gimme a few spiders & snakes instead of the bloody moles and mice that infest my garden and garage
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

And in Devon.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

We've got green parrots in the local park in South East London. I thought my son was on the booze when he claimed to have seen them in the snow last Christmas, but then they screeched. Please don't send me any spiders.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 5:49 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
I'm actually emigrating to get away from all the creepy crawlies.

Mhhhhhhh, bit curious as where you think you
will be safe from those creepy crawlies
Old Sep 15th 2006, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Mhhhhhhh, bit curious as where you think you
will be safe from those creepy crawlies

Antarctica

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.