Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Speed Cameras

Oz Speed Cameras

Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future
Question Oz Speed Cameras

How many of these in Oz ? Specifically the Gold Coast. Do you have as many as UK ????

Cheers for any info

Lee
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
How many of these in Oz ? Specifically the Gold Coast. Do you have as many as UK ????

Cheers for any info

Lee
While I couldn't say how many there are, I can confirm through personal experience that there are enough to affect how fast you drive almost whereever you are, along with the fact that they may be fixed, temporary, in view or hidden, and that the fines are horrendous.....and can be doubled on long ("holiday") weekends or when the government feels like it.

In Australia, they were first introduced in Victoria nearly 20 years ago.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

kaka1964 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
While I couldn't say how many there are, I can confirm through personal experience that there are enough to affect how fast you drive almost whereever you are, along with the fact that they may be fixed, temporary, in view or hidden, and that the fines are horrendous.....and can be doubled on long ("holiday") weekends or when the government feels like it.

In Australia, they were first introduced in Victoria nearly 20 years ago.

They are on quite a lot of junctions at the lights.
I didnt take any pictures of my hire-car when i was out there....but the kind men in QLD police sent me nice photo of it at night. They charged me $130 for the picture tho.

BC
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:50 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

How many of these in Oz ?
Lots

Specifically the Gold Coast.
Not sure of the exact number

Do you have as many as UK ????
At a guess the same amount if not more. What I will say though is that the tolerance levels are a lot tougher in Oz (than compared to the UK when I lived there about 5 years ago).

Cheers for any info

Lee

No probs
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:07 am
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kaka1964
They are on quite a lot of junctions at the lights.
I didnt take any pictures of my hire-car when i was out there....but the kind men in QLD police sent me nice photo of it at night. They charged me $130 for the picture tho.

BC
Ouch! :scared:
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

There are lots over here in Perth. Usually hidden behind a tree or a bush.

Funny thing is though, on the news every night they give you a long list of where the cameras will be the next day!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:12 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any info

Lee
Theres lots of the buggers here! Apparently if you see three signs in a row then theres definitely a camera about to flash! They also have those 'speed guns' for when they're really bored!

I find it really hard to keep an eye on my speed too because the speed limit changes every 50 feet! Its chronic - 100kph, then 80kph, then 60kph, then 40kph, then school zone 25kph! - then back up to 100kph - all in a very short space! My heads fried by the time I get home!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:34 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

just to forewarn you guys, we were in the country for two weeks on an english licence (not had time to change over for obvious reasons) and got caught speeding by an officer with a gun

$700 dollar fine and 6 month suspension!!!

ouch that has really hurt us, seeing as now my husband cant even look for work let alone get there!

we tried to appeal but because it was on an english licence there is no jurisdiction to overturn the ban! bloody typical, but to add insult to injury, if we had changed our licence over to an aussie one (which by the way the tell you to DO NOTHING until the suspension notice comes through) then we would have been able to appeal - at this moment in time it is in the hands of an MP so fingers crossed!!
beware out there,
lastly, i have found if you stick to the speed limit here, you find yourself with some irate truck driver up your a**e!!! therefore you cant win!! thats my only gripe about the place so far, otherwise loving it still!!
good luck
vb2
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vb2
, thats not good.

Thanks for all the info so far. I think I might invest in a detector when I make it to Oz
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:20 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Cheers for any info

Lee
Hi Lee,

I think that Queensland have very few fixed speed cameras, and that nearly all of them are mobile ones - either handheld from a cop or set up in the back of one of the police toyota landcruisers you see parked on the side of the freeways. They are pretty sneaky about hiding those vehicles, so you often don't see them until the last minute. A lot of radio stations tell you where they are located, though, from a day to day basis. In terms of numbers - far, far fewer than the UK - especially in Queensland.

Other states do it differently - NSW for example seems to have mainly fixed cameras and they have to advertise the fact that they are there, so you have plenty of warning from signs. I don't think you get the 'fake' signs over here like you do in the UK, where there isn't actually a camera!

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:31 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Know how you feel VB2. Had only been here roughly a month. My partner got a $350 fine - he got caught by a copper with a speed gun and then me a couple of weeks later $250 fine - caught also by a copper with a gun hiding behind a bush!

I tended to speed a bit in England and was on the road loads with my job but only got 2 fines in around 10 years.

If you speed here, you WILL get caught eventually. There are patrol vehicles everywhere. We are ultra careful now and simply don't speed. Can't afford the fines.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:49 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
just to forewarn you guys, we were in the country for two weeks on an english licence (not had time to change over for obvious reasons) and got caught speeding by an officer with a gun

ouch that has really hurt us, seeing as now my husband cant even look for work let alone get there!

we tried to appeal but because it was on an english licence there is no jurisdiction to overturn the ban! bloody typical, but to add insult to injury, if we had changed our licence over to an aussie one (which by the way the tell you to DO NOTHING until the suspension notice comes through) then we would have been able to appeal - at this moment in time it is in the hands of an MP so fingers crossed!!
beware out there,
lastly, i have found if you stick to the speed limit here, you find yourself with some irate truck driver up your a**e!!! therefore you cant win!! thats my only gripe about the place so far, otherwise loving it still!!
good luck
vb2
You must really have been going at a big speed over the limit to get that.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vb2

beware out there,
good luck
vb2
How fast were you going? must have been quite bit over for that sort of fine and suspension! I didn't realise that they could suspend a UK licence since they don't give points!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Originally Posted by vb2

beware out there,
good luck
vb2
You must have been moving bloody fast to cop a fine of that size and a 6 month suspension! :scared:

What speed were you doing?
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vb2

beware out there,
good luck
vb2
Please do tell, What speed were you doing to cop that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.