Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ: Report on Migrate 2002

View Poll Results: Was Migrate 2002 useful to those who have already applied?
Yes
30.00%
No
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

OZ: Report on Migrate 2002

Old Mar 15th 2002, 5:37 pm
ndaltonb

Default OZ: Report on Migrate 2002

Hi gang.

I'll try to keep this concise.

1. Overall impression: Great for those just started, but for those who have applied and sorted out finance, almost a waste of time. Stands are migration agents, packers and finance people. No-one representing things you need when you get off the plane; renting; real estate; headhunters etc.

2. Q&A with AHC: Very disappointing as it wasn't with the AHC. Was run by Concept Australia who were excellent, just they were not the AHC.

Comments from AHC stand
- IT: All applications are in process.
Don't get your hopes up, this means all the IT applicant files are open, not that the backlog is cleared

- Nurses: Yes they are being prioritised on instruction from Minister for Immigration.

- Rest of us: Just have to wait

- Extension to medicals and police checks.: These are ALL decided on a case by case basis. Strongly depends on whether your report is an "A" or a "B".
an "A" means there are no medical problems and so there is a good chance you get an extension
a "B" means that there is a concern or query. In which case, if you medical report is 6 months old, it is likely that the medical people will want another one, in case anything has changed.

Medicals seem to be decided on COST (to the state) and CONTAGION (to the population).

Police check: as this doesn't cost much and doesn't take much time, it's sensible to update it (see below)

Point made by the AHC rep on the stand is that if your medical check is 11 months old when you get your visa, you only get 1 month to get to Aus to get the visa validated. Same for police check.

comments from the Q&A session
- the 20 months is the Average time. Some are worse, some are better. Gut feel from the presenter is that this could could worse before getting better.
- AHC is 3 months behind in the mail.
- it could tkae 2 years to clear out all the skilled application, i.e. the trickiest could take another 24 months.
- don't expect the time to drop on July 1st

Hope this helps and sorry it isn't all good news. Look forward to hearing other peoples views on Migrate 2002.

Nigel db

Old Mar 15th 2002, 6:59 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OZ: Report on Migrate 2002

Does that mean as a diabetic and being B if I don't get my visa before the end of June(had my medical on the 23rd of december) I have to have another one? will the rest of my family also have to have another?
Old Mar 15th 2002, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi nigel,
thanks for the info, as I've posted before on this subject my impression of the show last year co-incides with yours of this years. Its ok if you want to find out the absolute basics but no real use to those already applied. Unless your hobby is collecting a rainforests-worth of removals brochures I find it hard to get as worked up about this show as some obviously do.

cheers
Old Mar 15th 2002, 9:28 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Col,

I'm not a doctor nor DIMA staff. Although I doubt that diabetes is considered costly.

Suggest you get an opinion from your migration agent, but remeber, it will only be an opinion. DIMA have the final say

By the way, how do you know you are a B? Does the doctor tell you. As you can guess, I havn't had my medical yet.

Nigel db

Originally posted by col
Does that mean as a diabetic and being B if I don't get my visa before the end of June(had my medical on the 23rd of december) I have to have another one? will the rest of my family also have to have another?

Old Mar 16th 2002, 2:41 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes when he did the medical he told me that he would have to put me down as be (Significant history) Thanks for the reply cheers

Col
Old Mar 17th 2002, 4:02 am
Just Joined

r_guruge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much for the info.

>>Point made by the AHC rep on the stand is that if your medical check is 11 months old when you get your visa, you only get 1 month to get to Aus to get the visa validated. Same for police check.<<

I'd like to ask a question. Is the above rule strictly observed ?

It looks like everybody who gets PR has less than the stipulated "one year" period to get to Aus to get the Visa validated as his medical/police reports have been aged by several moths by the time he receives the PR.

Am I correct, Nigel ?

Thanks and regards
Ranga
Old Mar 17th 2002, 10:30 am
ndaltonb

Hi Ranga,

I don't think you have a full year to get your visa validated. It seems to be a period of time from your medical and police checks.

Need a professional to get the answer for this one.

Nigel db

Originally posted by r_guruge
less than the stipulated "one year" period to get to Aus to get the Visa validated

Old Mar 17th 2002, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

kiran rowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Agree with Nigel DB. The exhibition was very disappointing. I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know already from the Internet - have learned more from this site in particular - and came away with a carrier bag full of reading material. I ended up leaving my name and address with three removals firms to get free estimates and two financial agents. With one of the latter I queued for about 15 minutes to speak to a financial adviser but he was so I busy I arranged for him to ring me at home next week. I was hoping for more info on buying and renting property, job prospects for non-IT people, do's and don'ts once in Australia, the lifestyle, culture, etc

Kiran
Old Mar 18th 2002, 2:10 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

For putting this together - useful information for one who did not go! I have spent a few wasted afternoons with my mother at these events - she is moving to Spain. Loads of paper I agree 'Bones'.

Slightly off topic but concerned with the items sold at these events - I am spending a morning with a financial advisor in a week or so, so will report back my personal comments after the actual day. In the meantime for those who are nearly ready and need some of the 'other advice' I am still scrabbling for, most of the finance/other services people advertise in Australia News and are willing to chat on the phone initially. I personally am in desperate need of financial advice, having various pensions and such like policies dropped/disregarded along the work path to pick up. As I said let you know, but thanks again ndaltonb
Old Mar 18th 2002, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We too came away from the show a little disappointed. We already have our visas, so found the show much more helpful last year when we were just getting started. We would have liked to see more recruitment agencies, real estate reps and any other information relating to settling down once you've arrived. We did notice a few empty booths too and wondered if there were as many stands as there were last year.

The seminar where Alex and Jane spoke, as returning migrants, was very interesting. When we came away from the Q&A seminar (mentioned above) we felt incredibly relieved that we do have our visas, it does seem to be looking bleak for those already waiting, for those attending who haven't yet applied, they must have gone away wondering if it was worth bothering. We also attended a general seminar covering emigration to all countries, it appears that Canada is a big favourite at the moment, and as to the USA - well it appears no-one wants to go there! The US stands must have been incredibly quiet this year.
Old Mar 18th 2002, 2:11 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Jacqui & Nigel,

Firstly Nigel, many thanks for asking the questions we all would like answers to. I think we all have just to sit and wait like we have been for so long now and see what happens regarding medicals etc when they finally issue our visas. I hope they give us the option of having our medicals done again if it looks a better deal than moving to Oz in a short amount of time.

Jacqui, I would be very interested to hear what Alex and Jane had to say. I saw them on the video that outbound Newspapers produced about them migrating. Are they back for good and what went wrong?

Many thanks for all your info

Susan
Old Mar 18th 2002, 9:36 pm
Ian And Deb

"heading downunder 2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Jacqui & Nigel,
    >
    > Jacqui, I would be very interested to hear what Alex and Jane had to say. I saw
    > them on the video that outbound Newspapers produced about them migrating. Are they
    > back for good and what went wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks for all your info
    >
    > Susan

Susan,

the presentation by Alex & Jane was extremely informative. They spoke about the
importance of deciding where you want to reside should you be successful. The fact
that it's not what you know but who you know when job hunting and some of the
ridicules of Oz life like having to have a contact telephone number when applying to
have a telephone phone connected ????

They started life in Adelaide and ended up in Taz and are now back in the UK
having stayed in Oz long enough to become citizens. They returned due to family
health problems but did invest in Taz property and are planning to return within
the next 5 years.

I am sure that I have forgotten something but that pretty much sums it up.

Ian.

Old Mar 19th 2002, 7:53 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Many thanks for that Ian, at least they didn't come back because it hadn't worked out for them. The information about the contact phone number is the kind of info we need.

Thanks again,

Susan
Old Mar 19th 2002, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Alex and Jane also showed us just how first impressions can be misleading. I'm sure the way they dress didn't help them in Oz - they were unable to get jobs, despite Jane having a degree. They actually came across as very nice people, teetotal biker vegetarians I think they said! But they had remarks made about their style from neighbours who thought they were getting the couple from hell moving in, they look like they could be druggies/troublemakers I guess, just because of the punky hair, pierced nose, weird clothes etc. They found it difficult making friends and although they felt alone out there, they were determined to stick it out and get citizenship after two years. While they are back in the UK, Jane is studying further, and as said above, they hope to return to Taz in a few years time.