Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Oz really great for kids?

Is Oz really great for kids?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

morganfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is Oz really great for kids?

Hi there, this is my first post so please be nice to me. Have a real dilemma. OH has an interview in the next few weeks in Wollongong. I have been wanting to live in Oz since a trip to relatives over 15 years ago and have had the Oz dream in my head since then. Is it really just a case of the grass being greener etc. Anyway have two children to think about now aged 11 (starting upper school sept) and a 9 year old (who will start at a private school in sept due to her falling behind). Both arent doing brilliantly at school and would benefit from re-doing a year again. Would it be a better life over in Oz for them, is there as much pressure at school as in the UK. Any views on the life to be expected for them would be greatly appreciated. Are we better off in the UK. Pros and cons appreciated.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Oz really great for kids?

Dont realy know much about schools, but welcome to the site.
Lee & Jade
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, any teachers out there with 'inside knowledge' and comparisons with the uk / oz system. Any parents out there that can rate the oz system.

Thanks All information greatly appreciated.

Angela
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Is Oz really great for kids?

hi, i was looking at threads for schooling too and levels and this pdf was on one. this is our year 4 (so our 8/9year olds) homework level at this particular school.
take a look
hope its of some use
kath x
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG.pdf (487.7 KB, 205 views)
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future

sorry also , incase you dont know, ozzies dont start school till a year later so in effect they would be going to redo a year with more enjoyment and less structure (my ever growing opinion from reading pros and cons of others on here)
kathx

ps. i hope that i have attached the correct upload.( and it works) i can do what i know on computers but get completely confused,press buttons and keep my fingers crossed that it works if i dont
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Don't have kids ourselves but did notice when we were in Brisbane a few weeks ago that kids over there seem a bit younger compared to their British counterparts. When we were over there we were told that the first two years of primary school is centred more round playing/ developing social skills. Hope this helps...

Debbie
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old, they liked their school in Scotlland, but they LOVE their school here, their marks have improved greatly...especially my daughter who struggles in Maths. Everyday they come home with different stories, we played this basketball today at lunchtime...or soccer....or handball....the teachers at break times are out with the kids doing stuff. The headmaster lies down on the floor with the prep kids and reads them stories. My daughter in Year 7 calls her teacher by his first name....they just love it. They go on school camp every year for a week and have a blast, daughter id off to Brisbane this year and cant wait.

They repeated a year because of their ages/school year here and it was wonderful for them, as they didnt struggle with the work, this allowed them to concentrate on fitting in and making friends.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great! My sister's kids have really settled in well in their schools - hopefully my 2 will as well (11 & 8 yrs old).
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kjc79
sorry also , incase you dont know, ozzies dont start school till a year later so in effect they would be going to redo a year with more enjoyment and less structure (my ever growing opinion from reading pros and cons of others on here)
kathx

ps. i hope that i have attached the correct upload.( and it works) i can do what i know on computers but get completely confused,press buttons and keep my fingers crossed that it works if i dont
Thanks so much for your info and link which did work. Definately getting excited about the possibility of moving.
Best wishes
Angela
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old, they liked their school in Scotlland, but they LOVE their school here, their marks have improved greatly...especially my daughter who struggles in Maths. Everyday they come home with different stories, we played this basketball today at lunchtime...or soccer....or handball....the teachers at break times are out with the kids doing stuff. The headmaster lies down on the floor with the prep kids and reads them stories. My daughter in Year 7 calls her teacher by his first name....they just love it. They go on school camp every year for a week and have a blast, daughter id off to Brisbane this year and cant wait.

They repeated a year because of their ages/school year here and it was wonderful for them, as they didnt struggle with the work, this allowed them to concentrate on fitting in and making friends.
Thanks for your info, just what I was hoping to hear
Best wishes
Angela
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:01 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morganfamily
Thanks for your info, just what I was hoping to hear
Best wishes
Angela
i have two kids they came when 5 and 7 . they went to public school for primary and private secondary (currently $11 year for both) they are now 15 and 17 and couldn't be happier.. they have a great social life lots of friends do lots of acitvities my son drives as does all his friends... school here is laid back!!! it isn't as 'intense" here.... my kids don't stress about it...my son is going to TAFE next year to do a three year diploma my daughter wants to go to uni....look.... i hear people say things about education not being as good in Australia.... i don't really know... but my kids are ozzie kids so that's where they are educationally....they don't have to compare and to be honest it's not much cop to keep comparing all the time...take it as it comes.....'no Worries'...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Friends of mine who have been in Australia since October, they say that there kids were not happy at school in Blighty, but now love going to school, they say there is a lot less pressure on the kids.

Last edited by Haktahsin; Jul 5th 2007 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Hi there, this is my first post so please be nice to me. Have a real dilemma. OH has an interview in the next few weeks in Wollongong. I have been wanting to live in Oz since a trip to relatives over 15 years ago and have had the Oz dream in my head since then. Is it really just a case of the grass being greener etc. Anyway have two children to think about now aged 11 (starting upper school sept) and a 9 year old (who will start at a private school in sept due to her falling behind). Both arent doing brilliantly at school and would benefit from re-doing a year again. Would it be a better life over in Oz for them, is there as much pressure at school as in the UK. Any views on the life to be expected for them would be greatly appreciated. Are we better off in the UK. Pros and cons appreciated.
WARNING - Australian schools perspective limited to meeting 3 schools on our recce trip!

We were over in March on a recce/Validation trip and managed to meet with a few schools. Our children are 7, 9 and 10 - so main focus was on Primary Schools (although seemingly we should be more concerned with getting our eldest registered for high school!).

The general impression we came away with is that the schools in Aus seem to be more concerned with general, rounded education rather than exam league tables. In the UK, our kids are bombarded with project homework (3 projects a term - EACH), which (although I think is good in terms of getting them to plan work, think independently, etc.) is just simply too much. My eldest daughter will regularly spend 2 hours a night on h/w - crazy at the age of 10.

We asked about project work and homework in each of the schools we saw in Sydney - and they all came back with the same response: "takes up too much time at home", "parents end up doing the work", "we like to try and limit the load for parents". As I said at the beginning, this is only 3 schools, and yes, they are trying to "sell" to us - so probably best to keep that in mind!

Outside of school, I was hugely impressed with life for children. Our children's peers in familys we know in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth are all very active - much more focus on outdoor/healthy living, much less focus on spending time in front of the box, etc.

Now, again, perhaps we saw what we wanted to see, but in general I'd say the quality of life is better. I'm not a UK basher - I think there's an awful lot here that we won't appreciate fully until we are on the other side of the world - but I do think that Australia offers an awful lot for families.

Sorry for the rambling post.

SG
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by why
i have two kids they came when 5 and 7 . they went to public school for primary and private secondary (currently $11 year for both) they are now 15 and 17 and couldn't be happier.. they have a great social life lots of friends do lots of acitvities my son drives as does all his friends... school here is laid back!!! it isn't as 'intense" here.... my kids don't stress about it...my son is going to TAFE next year to do a three year diploma my daughter wants to go to uni....look.... i hear people say things about education not being as good in Australia.... i don't really know... but my kids are ozzie kids so that's where they are educationally....they don't have to compare and to be honest it's not much cop to keep comparing all the time...take it as it comes.....'no Worries'...
Thank you so much for your useful info, it sounds like the ideal to reduce my sons anxiety, and private schooling sounds so cheap. I do hope the OH gets the job in the next few weeks as I have packed.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

YES MY 14 YEAR OLD WONT FORGIVE ME FOR COMING BACK TO THIS GOD FORSAKEN PLACE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.