Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ the land of opportunity!

OZ the land of opportunity!

Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:35 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default OZ the land of opportunity!

Well for those who know me I now have a job!! yes me, well it has been 10 months and I thought I better do something.

Well at 30(something) I wanted to know if I could be trained for veterinary nursing, I decided to just send out 5 letters and hey presto, got myself a job!!!! On job training, qualify in 2 years and only have to step foot into a tafe for 10 days in those 2 years. Plus I am getting paid while I learn, how good is that?

I love OZ for just this at the moment because I failed to get into it in the UK due to my age and yet over here they wanted a mature person, yipee.

I start my course properly next week, and then I am a student and another bonus the fees are really tiny $1000 a year!!! My wages easily cover that.

So from one very happy Jenny, if you ever thought of doing something else and wondered if you could do it over here my answer would be yes, all is not lost, there will be somebody out there who is happy to train you and give you another shot at a different career.

Jenny
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:39 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Smile Re: OZ the land of opportunity!

Originally Posted by jensteve
Well for those who know me I now have a job!! yes me, well it has been 10 months and I thought I better do something.

Well at 30(something) I wanted to know if I could be trained for veterinary nursing, I decided to just send out 5 letters and hey presto, got myself a job!!!! On job training, qualify in 2 years and only have to step foot into a tafe for 10 days in those 2 years. Plus I am getting paid while I learn, how good is that?

I love OZ for just this at the moment because I failed to get into it in the UK due to my age and yet over here they wanted a mature person, yipee.

I start my course properly next week, and then I am a student and another bonus the fees are really tiny $1000 a year!!! My wages easily cover that.

So from one very happy Jenny, if you ever thought of doing something else and wondered if you could do it over here my answer would be yes, all is not lost, there will be somebody out there who is happy to train you and give you another shot at a different career.

Jenny
Hey Jenny,
Congratulations.
Its good that you got what you been longing for..
Wish we all get the same...
Take care
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:40 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: OZ the land of opportunity!

Jenny
Well done Jenny. You must be chuffed to bits

Do you mind me asking what did you do in the UK? Is this a complete career change?

Enjoy your new job. Don't bite the vet

Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Jenny for following your dream.

Sounds like a great course.

What do Vets nurses earn these days? (If you don't mind me asking?) not that money is everything of course.

Best wishes and hope you enjoy every minute of it!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:48 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Well done Jenny. You must be chuffed to bits

Do you mind me asking what did you do in the UK? Is this a complete career change?

Enjoy your new job. Don't bite the vet
Well its sort of a complete career change, I have done office management and then later my own pet store, so I got to handle all the small animals, its that I always wanted to go one better, and was very annoyed at missing out when I was younger when I should have done it.
Now I can and so far loving it to bits, love the surgical ops, all very interesting, plus there is a lot of office work to the job as well which hopefully I will be fine with. I am just finding my feet and figuring out what they do on a daily basis.
The vet who has employed me is off on maternity leave soon so when that happens I will be chucked in the deep end as she does a lot of the office duties, I am just so grateful to be given this chance and will defo stick to it, I want the nice certificate in 2 years.
Jenny
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:56 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Well its sort of a complete career change, I have done office management and then later my own pet store, so I got to handle all the small animals, its that I always wanted to go one better, and was very annoyed at missing out when I was younger when I should have done it.
Now I can and so far loving it to bits, love the surgical ops, all very interesting, plus there is a lot of office work to the job as well which hopefully I will be fine with. I am just finding my feet and figuring out what they do on a daily basis.
The vet who has employed me is off on maternity leave soon so when that happens I will be chucked in the deep end as she does a lot of the office duties, I am just so grateful to be given this chance and will defo stick to it, I want the nice certificate in 2 years.
Jenny
Good for you! I admire anyone who changes direction in order to make themselves happier in life. Life's too short to sit back and be miserable innit

Sounds like a great mixture of animal and office practice. ..and the vet having a litter soon ....means you can take on more responsibility too.

Great stuff!

Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:02 am
Moved out bush!

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Congrats Jenny for following your dream.

Sounds like a great course.

What do Vets nurses earn these days? (If you don't mind me asking?) not that money is everything of course.

Best wishes and hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Not sure really on that one, I am on a training wage so above award level, but I have seen jobs advertised at about $25 hour. Don't care really at the moment as they are helping me train and it gives me some cash while I get my regular bunny fixes.
I used to have probably 50 bunnies in the UK and miss the furry little creatures, now I can get furry creature fix every day.
Jenny
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I used to have probably 50 bunnies in the UK and miss the furry little creatures, now I can get furry creature fix every day.
Jenny
Thats a LOT of bunnies to eat in a day :scared: :scared:

Joking apart, do they have domestic rabbits here? For some reason I didn't think they did?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:09 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Hi Jenny,

Fantastic news, really pleased for you.

Great result.

Cheers Paul

Jenny
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure really on that one, I am on a training wage so above award level, but I have seen jobs advertised at about $25 hour. Don't care really at the moment as they are helping me train and it gives me some cash while I get my regular bunny fixes.
Jenny

Sounds great!!! ( and you get your 'bunny fix!!!' )

Hope all goes well for you!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:15 am
Professional Princess

Jenny

Congratulations on your new job!

Is the training similar to UK style as in the exam at the end of each year?

I thought you might like this website that I used when I was training.

You need to register so just fill in the form as though you were in the UK and put your local UK vet practice down. Its purely for registration purposes.

They have a great section for anatomy and physiology which will help you pass your exams.

Let me know if you have any problems registering and I will give you my password as I dont use it anymore.

www.vetnurse.co.uk

Good luck

Sam

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow! Congratulations!!!

Always wanted to do 'somthing with animals' when I was in High school but didn't want to be vet, or nurse, cos I didn't like the thought of operations and deaths etc etc. Now I still don't really, but it's not as bad.
And there weren't any other 'real' jobs that I could do, so decided animals was going to be the hobby, and I'd do other work....
Still 'dream' about it sometimes, you never know....

Phoenix, yes, there's domestic rabbits, I had some when we lived here before.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:20 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Simone
Phoenix, yes, there's domestic rabbits, I had some when we lived here before.
Ahh now that's a surprise Simone. Are they only allowed in certain areas of Aus? It's just that I could have sworn someone said they couldn't bring in their rabbit/s from UK?

Or maybe that's because of disease?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:34 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ahh now that's a surprise Simone. Are they only allowed in certain areas of Aus? It's just that I could have sworn someone said they couldn't bring in their rabbit/s from UK?

Or maybe that's because of disease?
Yeah, you can't bring in anything except cats and dogs. Yeah, that would be the disease side of it.

Could very well be that they're only allowed in certain areas too though.
But they're allowed in WA, or they were 9 years ago! Also we had guinea pigs, my friend had heaps.
Hamsters are not allowed I believe, well in QLD I think, Pollyana once said something about that.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:52 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Jenny

Congratualtions Jenny, sounds great, something I have been thinking about (study not involving animals though)

Have fun
Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.