Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is oz a good place to go..

Is oz a good place to go..

Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice
Default Re: Is oz a good place to go..

Originally Posted by smurtaza
But my question is that the 14 yr old 'child' just like you, is he eligible to apply for immigration?

Obviously not, but i'm sure his/her parents maybe, otherwise i'm sure they wouldn't be asking the question??
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Originally Posted by northerner
I completely agree! So to ScottBev, if you're going with your parents then embrace it! You are truly lucky to be given the opportunity at your age to see the world, experience different cultures and make your own mind up!! Maybe you'll never want to come back, maybe you'll come back to the UK at some point - whatever, you will have an experience under your belt that none of your friends will have and I'm sure it will broaden your horizons!!!

Enjoy, whatever, Graham

Thank you!! Great advice!!

Good Luck ScottBev! if you get the opportunity to go, make the most of it & have fun x x
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:13 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Is oz a good place to go..

Originally Posted by jo&neil
I think some people have lost the plot with this thread!! 'In my opinion' some of the answers have been 'extremely' unhelpful to a 14 yr old! Please consider the age of a person writing before adding your 2 penneth!
Agreed!we all must keep in mind the age of the original poster and talk about Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS2.My question is how the 14 year old is eligible to apply for immigration?Do DIMA have some minimum age restriction on immigration application?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:20 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed!we all must keep in mind the age of the original poster and talk about Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS2.My question is how the 14 year old is eligible to apply for immigration?Do DIMA have some minimum age restriction on immigration application?
HE'S PROBABLY GOING WITH PARENTS - GET A GRIP, STOP BEING SO SARCASTIC!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottBev
Im 14 and im wondering if id benifit being in oz for my future? Please reply.

Hi

I have a 14 year old boy who really didn't want to come to Australia at all. He told me that he would return to the UK as soon as he turned 18.

We have been here for nearly 5 months and now he wouldn't return to the UK at all. He loves it here, he has made loads of friends at school and at home, he is out every night of the week playing with the boys from our street.

He is also enjoying school for the first time in his life.

I would say that life is what you make it, and whether you are in Australia or the UK you will have a great future if you put in the effort to make one.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

He isn't old enough you plank. He is probably asking because his parents are applying and like most youngsters is anxious about how he will settle.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Are you for real

Do you really think a 14 year old is going to Australia on their own
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

ScottBev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
Are you for real

Do you really think a 14 year old is going to Australia on their own

Yes, i'm going with my parents. And i have another question. Is there alot of brits around brisbane?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:44 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, i'm going with my parents. And i have another question. Is there alot of brits around brisbane?
up awfully late lad.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
up awfully late lad.

Were on holiday here in not so sunny scotland.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Were on holiday here in not so sunny scotland.
Stacks of Brits in Brissie SB. Stacks of brits everywhere as well but all of the friends my girls have are Aussies and they are all really nice. If you do end up moving over, you will have a good time at school and outside of it but you will have to make an effort which can be hard if you're feeling a bit homesick.

Think positive, embrace the new, don't compare and you will have a blast oh and ignore the numpties on here who think it both funny and clever to make stupid unhelpful comments
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, I came out to brisbane ages ago with my parents when I was 11. So I grew up in Brisbane, and loved it.
Schools do some really good subjects. For sport, you get options like surfing, sailing, even fishing
Weekends, me and my brother mostly went to beach - you'll have to take up boogie boarding when you get here.
There are loads of english people here! Even most of the Aussies will tell you they are English, because they have English family.
Jen
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that... Another question..

Do i need to stay on at school till im 18 to get any qualifications?

And is there alot of motocross over there in/near brisbane? Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

In Queensland (Brisbane)...
Junior Certificate is equal to your GCSE's.
Senior Certificate is equal to A Levels.

The Senior Certificate is Year 11 and 12, and is done at school. So if you stay on to do it (you don't have to), you'll be 17/18 when finished.

I know of a couple Motorcross tracks. They call it Trailbiking sometimes over here. They do Supercross sometimes, where they are in an arena, with crazy jumps.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on what you want to do. There is far more scope for doing an apprenticeship here than in the UK but no idea about wages etc whilst doing it.

Motocross or trailbiking is quite big here I think. We have a big site not far from here but about an hour or so from Brissie - lots more around.