Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oz exchange rate

oz exchange rate

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road
Default oz exchange rate

Can I open a bank account in oz from the uk even though i have yet to move over permanently? I would like to be able to put money into it before i go in March next year but at a time when i think rate is ok. I have a 163 provisional business visa. Also am i reading it wrong or has the exchange rate risen a bit lately? Is this due to the fact the pound is so weak against euro?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

w99tts is a jewel in the roughw99tts is a jewel in the roughw99tts is a jewel in the roughw99tts is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: oz exchange rate

Originally Posted by rhona
Can I open a bank account in oz from the uk even though i have yet to move over permanently? I would like to be able to put money into it before i go in March next year but at a time when i think rate is ok. I have a 163 provisional business visa. Also am i reading it wrong or has the exchange rate risen a bit lately? Is this due to the fact the pound is so weak against euro?
Hi

If you go on the commonwealth bank which is based in London and Australia you can open a uk account and when your ready to move your money you ask the to open the australian account and move it. Once you get to aus you then just open a local aussie account and move it there. Were only at the stage of having the UK account ready but our friends used them and said they were good, hope that helps Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

We have used the Commonwealth as well. We have found them excellent so far. We opened up when we came on a reccie visit so not sure what the UK service is like. We have found there to be branches and ATMs all over the place so no problem what so ever getting your money out. Biggest plus as well is how helpful they are when ever you go in to ask them something, and when you ring up you can actually speak to your branch or the actual person you want to speak to....Now thats a novel concept. Shame our UK bank cant give that simple service, who use the eternal call centre in India and whose service with the same is a joke.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

ok thanks guys. So is it possible to transfer money at todays exchange rates once ive opened it up here?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

rachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura about

hi we are looking to exchange our money as i see the exchange rate has increased i am a novice at this so any tips welcome, what are peoples views is anyone else looking to exchange in next few days
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

We opened an account with Westpac in London almost a year ago and our money has been sitting in our account over there ever since (we thought we would need it for a Capital Investment Bond for our first visa application).
We used HiFX to transfer our money across.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

rachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura about

thanks geelong i will give hi fx a ring did you have to pay tax on youre money not sure how it all works spending the day doing research
cheers rach
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

Watch out for tax on your money in Australia. Your account will be deemed an overseas investment and interest taxed at a ridiculous rate of about 50%.

Charlie
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

hi at the moment if you transfer your money through ozforex the rate is 1 = 2.20
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rachaey
thanks geelong i will give hi fx a ring did you have to pay tax on youre money not sure how it all works spending the day doing research
cheers rach

I think the interest on our account is being taxed at about 10% but I have a feeling once you get a TFN you get some back.

We should find out soon because we fly out at the end of the month.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

geelong, thanks so much for the advice i am so chuffed with myself i have set up a westpac account and registred with HI FX all in one day, i feel like a financial wizard i must say i was very impressed at how easy and helpfull the two were
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

Watch out for tax on your money in Australia. Your account will be deemed an overseas investment and interest taxed at a ridiculous rate of about 50%.

Charlie
Not if you have an overseas address, tax is deducted at 10%.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

That is not what I was told when I opened a NAB account. They said that I would be charged at a high rate until we arrived in Australia and had a Tax File Number.

So I am really confused.

Charlie
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are resident in Oz but haven't given them a TFN, yes you get stung for a high rate of tax - 46.5% I believe, which is the highest rate of tax in Oz . But not if you are a non-resident - see http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tm&page=14&H14
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant - many thanks.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.