Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz equivalent to Glastonbury/Reading

Oz equivalent to Glastonbury/Reading

Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:18 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough
Cool Oz equivalent to Glastonbury/Reading

Hiya

Was just wondering if anyone knew if there is an equivalent to Glasto/Reading Festival in Australia or New Zealand? I go to Glastonbury every year rain or shine and was hoping they'd be a similar thing!

Also, does anyone know what the live music scene is like in Sydney/Melb for Indie bands?

Cheers me dears,

Siobhan
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:35 pm
WBB

i also go to glastonbury every june, i have only missed one (except for when they banned it) since 1994 and that was when i was in australia, it is in my opinion the premier music festival in the world.

back when i was a young en we used to jump the fence and camp in a borrowed tent or even under the stars, we would go up to the green field for sunrise and smoke funny fags , now we are a bit more civilised and we organise things a bit better.

highlights for me were oasis, lenny kravitz, r.e.m, also spent a fair bit of time in the dance tent.

i dont thnk there is anything like glasto in oz but i would like to be proved wrong.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Listen to TripleJ on www.abc.net.au/triplej/ for a good steer.

IIRC The Big Day Out is the biggest draw www.bigdayout.com/main.php
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:43 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by CHnJ
Listen to TripleJ on www.abc.net.au/triplej/ for a good steer.

IIRC The Big Day Out is the biggest draw www.bigdayout.com/main.php
The Adelaide fringe festivals are meant to be good...

http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/Home.aspx

Don't know if its quite an equivilent, more...if you like one, you will like the other.

Pete.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,God I`ll mis the festivals as well,been to V festival at hylands for last 4 years.Just had a look at things on in adelaide and had a choice of proclaimers at gov hindmarsh hotel or Joan Armatrading and Boz scaggs at petr lehmans winery.Good grief!!!Saying that I bet I finish up going to see the proclaimers(its ascottish thing)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.fallsfestival.com/

The above is supposed to be a great festival. I saw a picture of the location and it looked beautiful.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:38 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

in NZ, I think the Big Day Out is the only major festival which draws major international acts. It's only a 1 day festival too - so no camping out!

Not sure if it's still on, but there used to be a dance festival called The Gathering, held near Nelson.

Otherwise, if you want to have any chance of regularly seeing international acts, you'd need to live in Auckland. Most people who visit Aus may tack on an Auckland visit, and sometimes Christchurch.

Compared to London of course - there's little - but enough to keep you happy. Most major indie bands have visited Auckland at least once over the years, but not as often as London. You also sometimes get special things like Neil Finn and 'friends' so there is stuff around. Lots of good NZ & Aus bands too.

One thing I like about UK compared with NZ is the quality of the venues, and sound and lighting systems. They are noticeably better I think, and the venues themselves are often better.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:45 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough
Red face

Thanks for all the replies everyone :-)

Bondipom - had a look at the fallsfestival and it looks beautiful...if i can gather up some mates for new years eve i reckon i'll definitely be going to that. knowing my luck i'll be bloody rostered on for a night shift!

jandjuk - big day out sounds like the equivalent of reading/leeds festivals which sounds cool...

not sure if i'll be working in adelaide so i probably wont get the chance to go to the adelaide fringe...

This year will be my last glasto for a few years. Although ideally I'd like to work 6 months of the year in Oz but I dont think i'll be able to manage that!

Anyways, thanks for all your help everybody :-)
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gigs/default.htm