Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz equivalent to Connexions Agency

Oz equivalent to Connexions Agency

Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Oz equivalent to Connexions Agency

Hi,
I was just wondering if there was an equivalent to the Connexions agency here in Oz particularly in WA? I've got an interview next week and I need to have a 'well developed knowledge of youth, education and training services' and 'practical working knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations'. Does anyone have any advice or any hints on where I should be looking? Better still does anyone work in these areas and want to share some tips with me?
Cheers,
Kel
Old Dec 14th 2005, 11:47 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz equivalent to Connexions Agency

Originally Posted by kelusa
Hi,
I was just wondering if there was an equivalent to the Connexions agency here in Oz particularly in WA? I've got an interview next week and I need to have a 'well developed knowledge of youth, education and training services' and 'practical working knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations'. Does anyone have any advice or any hints on where I should be looking? Better still does anyone work in these areas and want to share some tips with me?
Cheers,
Kel
kel, i used to manage connexions and teach the diploma, now living in qld so dont know if same types of youth orgs exist in WA. is that what you're looking for - youth support or similar orgs? is the interview in WA?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reply Clive. Yes thats what I'm looking for - youth support, agencies, services etc, basically anything to do with encouraging young people to stay in education and any other additional support 15 - 17 yr olds have available to them. I think it'd be good for me to have an idea about them when I go for the interview. I guess I'll just have to do a search on the internet. Any suggestions on what websites to search?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Yes the interview is in WA!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:04 am

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the interview is in WA!
hi kel

the following are useful resources/contacts but they are qld. check out where you're moving to and then try and find the same kinds of orgs - hope that helps - which connexions did you work at? :

CADET Job Pathways Program (07) 5436 6020
www.cadet.org.au/jpp.php
Caloundra Youth Activities Service (YAS) (07) 54380259
www.caloundrayas.com
Community Solutions Inc. (07) 5477 5955
www.community-solutions.com.au
Education Queensland (Mooloolaba) (07) 5456 8777
www.education.qld.gov.au
Integrated Family and Youth Service Inc (07) 5438 3000
www.ifys.com.au
JPET Program - Namtec Inc. (07) 5441 1559 or 0407 141 911
[email protected]
www.namtec.org.au
Lead On Australia
www.leadon.com.au
Maroochydore Youth Justice Service (Department of Communities) (07) 5475 9750
www.communities.qld.gov.au
Noosa Youth Commitment Partnership (07) 5449 1988
www.ycp.com.au
Youth Support Coordinator (07) 5477 5955(Caloundra Area High Schools)www.community-solutions.com.au
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much, thats really helpful. I'll have a look at them and at least they'll give me some ideas of what to look for over here. I didn't work for Connexions, I just remember seeing them at school and sending pupils there for their post-16 guidance.
Kel
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:12 am

Thank you so much, thats really helpful. I'll have a look at them and at least they'll give me some ideas of what to look for over here. I didn't work for Connexions, I just remember seeing them at school and sending pupils there for their post-16 guidance.
Kel
no prob - i asked about location as i spent the last three years meeting and teaching connexions/social services/school staff in many parts of the uk - good luck with the interview!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clivemay
no prob - i asked about location as i spent the last three years meeting and teaching connexions/social services/school staff in many parts of the uk - good luck with the interview!
Thanks for that! I need it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 3:12 am

Thanks for that! I need it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

and another new initiative, along the lines of youth employment support - check out the position description and selection criteria

http://www.aigroup.asn.au/scripts/cg....r?PageID=2587