Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Education - Good or Bad??

Oz Education - Good or Bad??

Old May 3rd 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz Education - Good or Bad??

I have been reading the Returning to the UK forum to try and get a balanced opinion of Australia, and most of it still leaves me wanting to get out there as soon as I can, but comments on the Education system are worrying me. I had always thought that the Oz system was well regarded worldwide and that I would actually be benefiting my children by taking them there, away from all the stresses of SATs etc. However, a number of people on that forum list poor education as a reason for leaving and worry that their kids will have to have top-up lessons just to get them back up to UK standards. Can anyone out there tell me what the system is really like? Will my kids benefit and be respected when they complete their education, or should I be prepared to accept that this is one area where I will be disappointed? :lecture:
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:09 pm
rudo1ph

Hi Brian and Lou

I guess the answer is.....it depends on whether you plan on being here long term. If you are comparing the Australian schooling system directly with the British schooling system then academically I guess the standard is "lower" in general. However, if you are here long term does this really matter?

I am finding that my children are actually gaining a more "real" education here with more emphasis on life skills rather than just pure academics. Only my eldest daughter attended school in the UK, and it was an excellent school which excellent SATS results, but given the choice right now I'm happier with the sort of education they are getting now.

Rudi

Old May 3rd 2004, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Oz Education - Good or Bad??

Originally posted by Brian & Lou
I have been reading the Returning to the UK forum to try and get a balanced opinion of Australia, and most of it still leaves me wanting to get out there as soon as I can, but comments on the Education system are worrying me. I had always thought that the Oz system was well regarded worldwide and that I would actually be benefiting my children by taking them there, away from all the stresses of SATs etc. However, a number of people on that forum list poor education as a reason for leaving and worry that their kids will have to have top-up lessons just to get them back up to UK standards. Can anyone out there tell me what the system is really like? Will my kids benefit and be respected when they complete their education, or should I be prepared to accept that this is one area where I will be disappointed? :lecture:
Hi
If you read all the posts that include education you will become more confused. Some people think that an OZ education is better, some think a UK education is better.

I think that some schools in the UK will give a better education that some schools in OZ, BUT, some schools in OZ will give a better education that some schools in the UK.

Reading the "returning to UK" forum you must be aware that it is mainly filled with people who are leaving OZ for various reasons, and it will not give a balanced view; for that you need to read both forums.

One thing that I have read a lot, mainly from those who are returning to the UK, is that many Australian educated children go to Europe and get good jobs. Therefore the OZ education system can't be that bad.

From what they say, it actually sounds as if it seems harder for UK educated people to get work in Australia for some reason.
Although I must admit I never seemed to find that personally.

Bottom line is, take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

My personal feeling is that my own daughter is doing very well at school here, and seems to be on par with her slightly (6mths) older cousin in the UK. But as I said ALL schools are different.

Old May 3rd 2004, 11:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

ABC I agree with everything you say there. It really is down to the individual school. IMO the UK system is harder to settle back into becuase of the testing. That does not make UK education better.

People after certain professions may well find Oz limiting but this is not the only country the experiences this. The worlds workforce is becoming more and more mobile.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

School seems behind for us as our kids had already started school in the UK, so they dropped back a year here cos they start a year later in Aus.

The work seems much easier and far less stressful.

If you're the kind of parent who likes test results and loads of work bringing home, you could be in for a shock. If however you like your child to have a happy, less stressful childhood, where the teaching is more confidence and skills based, you will, like me, be very happy
Old May 4th 2004, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are coming to the end of their schooling - my eldest son is in Year 12 now and has done all his schooling here. I can honestly say that his current level of education is no different to mine when I was that age - and I did all my schooling in England.

They might start a bit later here and do some things at different times but the end result is the same. Kids in the UK might do joined-up writing at age 7 and here they might do it at age 8 - what does it matter as long as they can all do joined-up writing by the age of 18?

A lot of my son's classes have been research-based with a big emphasis on problem-solving skills, which was something I don't recall at school - but this is more likely due to the difference between the 1960's/2000's - rather than the difference between the two countries.

There's more of a problem with schooling if you plan to switch between countries more than once - there may well need to be 'catching up' done in either direction. But if you plan to stay for the whole of the childs education, the end result will be the same.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been over here 6 months and are very happy with the schooling our children (aged 11 and 14) are getting. We think our son Robert, the 11 year old, has improved his writing, spelling and presentation skills since we moved here. The school also has a more positive attitude to "competition" in that the children are encouraged to take part in sporting and academic competitions and to be proud of representing their school. The school he attended in the UK was good but actively discouraged competitiveness (sports day particularly!!!) and the comment that self confidence etc is just as important is true, the system here seems to work on the "whole" not just on academic results.
BTW both kids have more homework here than in the UK.

Claire
xx
Old May 4th 2004, 3:02 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future

Yeah it's great if your rich, and like to learn sloooooowly and be stuck at high school until your 18!

Luckily for me the teachers didnt want to know about the new "pommy" girl and the students found it hilarous to pick on me left right and centre...

Hence i told them to stick it, and got myself a job, which lead to me getting my foot in the door and now i am working for a decent company, and earning a not bad wage (which recently in my should i stay or should i go (back to the UK) dilema have discovered that i could be earling dble/triple what i am here.

Education system is very obscure over here and you have to buy EVERYTHING. Rarely is anything supplied.

Good luck though
Old May 4th 2004, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Aqua2778
Education system is very obscure over here and you have to buy EVERYTHING. Rarely is anything supplied.
That comment is a little bit
obscure in it's meaning.

It may have applied to YOUR school.

You should not generalise to make it appear that it applies everywhere.

Old May 4th 2004, 4:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed ABC!

I havn't paid for anything, apart from excursions at my kids school.

I think we are all too quick to generalise on here, Aus is a MASSIVE place, each area differers greatly!
Old May 4th 2004, 4:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by hevs
Agreed ABC!

I havn't paid for anything, apart from excursions at my kids school.

I think we are all too quick to generalise on here, Aus is a MASSIVE place, each area differers greatly!
I think its the generalisations that cause most of the agro, because someone will come out and disagree with the other, but each of them may be right, in "their area"

But getting back to schooling
I don't think you need to be rich to have a good school either.

All you need is to be a smoker who decides to give up

What you save in cigarettes would put a kid through private school, I think ?

How much would 40 cigarettes a day cost now ? That's what I used to smoke.

Old May 4th 2004, 6:36 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think its the generalisations that cause most of the agro, because someone will come out and disagree with the other, but each of them may be right, in "their area"

But getting back to schooling
I don't think you need to be rich to have a good school either.

All you need is to be a smoker who decides to give up

What you save in cigarettes would put a kid through private school, I think ?

How much would 40 cigarettes a day cost now ? That's what I used to smoke.

200 cigarettes each a week costs $130 * 52 = 6760

I will have to smoke more and then give up cause unless I choose a catholic one I have no hope of getting one child into private school for that where I live!

Oh - and I am someone who does not agree private means better.

I am happy with the schools here where I am in Aus, I chose the area I live to get the schools of my choice. My daughter is happy with the education more rounded less pressure, and my son flourishes in a school that supports streaming and more pressure in classes for the more able children subject by subject.

I believe education for children is part area/part school/part parent/part child - loads of factors means the result is different for all concerned.

I had my ups and down in the Uk education system and I am sure I will have my ups and down here. We moved house in the UK to get the right schools for the children and I am sure we will make as much effort as we can here.

I feel much sympathy for parents wherever they are wanting a good education for their children. One thing I will add I have found the competition is fierce for grammar school places here and certainly in year 12 your HSC results can mean a decent universaity place or not, many parents seek support outside the formal education system at this point with many children attending after school and weekend tutoring classes, many asian families follow this route in my area.

A happy child is the best outcome we can all have - as someone who refused to attend university because I was sick of the pressure and sick of education - I did not do too badly when I returned to gain further formal qualification at a later stage.

I really do not feel it is Aus vs UK, it is area by area and opportunites for your needs.

Cheers
Old May 4th 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz Education - Good or Bad??

Thanks all of you for your comments, they have actually put my mind at rest. As I said originally, we think that bringing the kids to Australia will benefit them, and you have supported that. I am certainly NOT one of the parents who likes exam results year on year, I want the kids to enjoy learning like I did when I was in school. We will be making a commitment to Australia and intend to stay forever, so it sounds as though they will be less stressed at their young ages than they are here and will still end up having a good education. Thanks guys, once again it sounds as though our decision to move is the right one for us.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sandra
200 cigarettes each a week costs $130 * 52 = 6760

I will have to smoke more and then give up cause unless I choose a catholic one I have no hope of getting one child into private school for that where I live!

Oh - and I am someone who does not agree private means better.

I am happy with the schools here where I am in Aus, I chose the area I live to get the schools of my choice. My daughter is happy with the education more rounded less pressure, and my son flourishes in a school that supports streaming and more pressure in classes for the more able children subject by subject.

I believe education for children is part area/part school/part parent/part child - loads of factors means the result is different for all concerned.

I had my ups and down in the Uk education system and I am sure I will have my ups and down here. We moved house in the UK to get the right schools for the children and I am sure we will make as much effort as we can here.

I feel much sympathy for parents wherever they are wanting a good education for their children. One thing I will add I have found the competition is fierce for grammar school places here and certainly in year 12 your HSC results can mean a decent universaity place or not, many parents seek support outside the formal education system at this point with many children attending after school and weekend tutoring classes, many asian families follow this route in my area.

A happy child is the best outcome we can all have - as someone who refused to attend university because I was sick of the pressure and sick of education - I did not do too badly when I returned to gain further formal qualification at a later stage.

I really do not feel it is Aus vs UK, it is area by area and opportunites for your needs.

Cheers
Hi Sandra

So I am saving $132pw now not bad, and I could put my daughter through a local private school for half that cost !

I also never agreed with private schooling, but my wife is the opposite, and you women always get your way in the end so....

It makes me feel better that the school is cheaper than smoking
I also feel that our particular school is very good, which I am glad about, as it is costing us the equivalent of 30 cigarettes a day !

I found out yesterday that one of the bests schools in the area used to be a State school, but when the head of the school left, things changed. That Head is now the head of my daughters school.

Old May 4th 2004, 7:12 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Sandra

So I am saving $132pw now not bad, and I could put my daughter through a local private school for half that cost !

I also never agreed with private schooling, but my wife is the opposite, and you women always get your way in the end so....

It makes me feel better that the school is cheaper than smoking
I also feel that our particular school is very good, which I am glad about, as it is costing us the equivalent of 30 cigarettes a day !

I found out yesterday that one of the bests schools in the area used to be a State school, but when the head of the school left, things changed. That Head is now the head of my daughters school.
HI ABCD - oops I did not make myself clear, that is 200 ciggies a weeks for me and my husband, therefore 400 costs 130.

So with basic maths I make it 130/400 fags = 0.35 * 40 a day * 7 days a week = $91. They can be more expensive if you buy daily but I buy in bulk! Very sad

I do live in an expensive area of Sydney and school prices follow that trend, one school I looked at for my daughter had year 12 costs estimated! at around 13K per annum, that is before paying for the extra curriculum activities, Many catholic schools are much cheaper than this with some fees being around 3-4K per annum, but obviously that has to be a personal choice. I researched the private vs state in my area in the UK and found the local comp (once I moved house!) for boys had better results than the local two private, obviously lots of dependancies. I believe in choosing a school for the child first and foremost, and although I am opposed to private would obviously end up putting my childs needs first if it came to it and I could afford it - obviously as women your wife and I will will always be right what ever we decide

I am considering giving up the fags for a few holidays - 6K - wow that is looking like a nice holiday in Brisbane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.