Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Economy Starting to Stumble

Wikiposts

Oz Economy Starting to Stumble

Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Oz Economy Starting to Stumble

Well, it seems as though the insatiable appetite for debt-funded consumer goods and the huge debt burden imposed by over-inflated property prices is finally starting to catch up with Australia; the latest current account deficit is the worst on record - see http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12408363-2,00.html :

Economists and the Federal Government were stunned by the latest current account deficit, which hit $15.2 billion, or 6.5 per cent of gross domestic product.

Net foreign debt climbed to $422bn.

Driven by a sharp fall in rural exports, and Australians' desire for cheap consumer good imports, the deficit for the first six months of the 2004-05 financial year hit $29.4 billion....

The current account deficit is now likely to sit around 7 per cent of GDP, more than when former treasurer Paul Keating warned of Australia becoming a "banana republic" in 1986.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Oz Economy Starting to Stumble

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Well, it seems as though the insatiable appetite for debt-funded consumer goods and the huge debt burden imposed by over-inflated property prices is finally starting to catch up with Australia; the latest current account deficit is the worst on record - see http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12408363-2,00.html :
Does this mean the dollar will go up against the pound. Is this good news for all of us in the UK that need to change money soon?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:24 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Does this mean the dollar will go up against the pound. Is this good news for all of us in the UK that need to change money soon?

Hiya Chris,

The minister blames the "strong australian Dollar" this should inmply that he wonted more $ to The £ or whatever, he has this the wrong way around.

If there were actually less $ to the £ then the dalance of payments would be lower.

Who Knows

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
the latest current account deficit is the worst on record
But I only been here 4 months
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:20 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
I think they should make sure all imigrants know how to do the washing up & use a mangle, and don't expect a refrigerator or A/C.

Back to basics aproach

It will also ease the strain on the grid in Queensland

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Australia is on the brink of the worst recession it has ever had thanks to the Howard governments fiscal short-sightedness.

The Trade Deficit is apalling and will be the trigger for the downturn, and expect this to get even worse when commodity prices begin their downward spiral again. This is not to mention the rising inflationary and therefore interest rate pressures.

What limited protection there has been in the past for local industry and jobs has evaporated, which has been fine during the good times but will increase the pain in the inevitibly bad times.

If any of you Brits are going over there without a job lined up in the year or so you need your head read - even having a job lined up is no guarentee you will be in employment there.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:05 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Devlin
Australia is on the brink of the worst recession it has ever had thanks to the Howard governments fiscal short-sightedness.

The Trade Deficit is apalling and will be the trigger for the downturn, and expect this to get even worse when commodity prices begin their downward spiral again. This is not to mention the rising inflationary and therefore interest rate pressures.

What limited protection there has been in the past for local industry and jobs has evaporated, which has been fine during the good times but will increase the pain in the inevitibly bad times.

If any of you Brits are going over there without a job lined up in the year or so you need your head read - even having a job lined up is no guarentee you will be in employment there.
Commodities will do nicely for a while but not much need for more city folk.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

And for all those thick Australian voters who voted Howard's government in on the promise of fiscal responsibility:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tim-Co...546867448.html
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Has the the Mrs been borrowing Mr Visa again?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:53 am
Banned

Not much call for manufacturing any more:

FEVERISH Asian demand for coal and steel has set a new benchmark for export earnings, prompting the chief commodities forecaster to predict a record $115 billion for 2005-06.

The latest forecast from the Australian Bureau of Resource Economics shows significant growth in commodity export earnings from the 2004-05 forecast of $98.6 billion.

The increase follows the record coking coal and iron ore price rises achieved by Australian producers in Japanese markets in the past few weeks.

Export earnings from coal are now forecast to increase by more than 50 per cent to $25.8 billion, while the value of iron ore exports has been revised up from $8 billion to $13 billion for 2005-06.

Coal and steel exports race ahead

THE Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has raised official interest rates to 5.50 per cent from 5.25 per cent taking rates to their highest level in four years.

Rates up to curb inflation
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:54 am
wombat42

ThE OZ economy is one of the best in the world and is and is booming
with record high growth and will continue to do so. We have trillions of dollars in natural resources, Gold, oil, iron ore, coal, natural gas etc. and there is massive demand and good prices for these reources from china and JApan, We have record low unemployment 4%, record low interest rates and inflation, Our national debt is nothing compared to USA and many other western countries. The reason debt is increasing is because of our success, Aussies have more money to spend so they buy more imported goods.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 1st 2005 at 10:58 am.

Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by wombat42
ThE OZ economy is one of the best in the world and is and is booming
with record high growth and will continue to do so. We have trillions of dollars in natural resources, Gold, oil, iron ore, coal, natural gas etc. and there is massive demand and good prices for these reources from china and JApan, We have record low unemployment 4%, record low interest rates and inflation, Our national debt is nothing compared to USA and many other western countries. The reason debt is increasing is because of our success, Aussies have more money to spend so they buy more imported goods.
That is where things stand now. The reason debt is increasing is because interest rates are too low. The reason interest rates are to low is due to the burst Nipponese bubble of 1990, the huge Yen US Treasury Bill carry trade, the burst Yankie bubble and the huge US Treasury Bill carry trade - amongst other things.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so what does this all mean for us...(I'm only just starting to get my head around income tax, interest, mortgages etc! )

We're 26 and 23, both have permanent jobs that pay a reasonable ammount(will keep going up for a while), and are now just starting to look at buying a house, we can afford one for about 200.000(15 year mortgage) which will take us to a suburb about 16km's from the cbd here in Perth, and I strongly believe the price will keep rising there for a bit still(and especially if we buy a crappy house and do it up)
So, what do we do... Buy anyway(we're wasting money on rent...) or save a bit more and buy a better house.....
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:29 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone
Right, so what does this all mean for us...(I'm only just starting to get my head around income tax, interest, mortgages etc! )

We're 26 and 23, both have permanent jobs that pay a reasonable ammount(will keep going up for a while), and are now just starting to look at buying a house, we can afford one for about 200.000(15 year mortgage) which will take us to a suburb about 16km's from the cbd here in Perth, and I strongly believe the price will keep rising there for a bit still(and especially if we buy a crappy house and do it up)
So, what do we do... Buy anyway(we're wasting money on rent...) or save a bit more and buy a better house.....
I'm not familiar with the housing market in Perth, but for the scenario I worked out in Sydney's Eastern 'burbs, buying is a mug's game. A property costing 400k attracts a rental premium of around 300 dollars per week.

In my relatively simplistic analysis I figured out a mortgage on the 400k place would be about 625 per week (at 7%,pro rata), and that if I were to save this amount less rent at a relatively modest 5% return I'd have 937k dollars saved in 25 years time. The housing market would have to sustain at least a 3.5% growth to match this, which it certainly isn't doing at the moment.

There are missing factors in my sums. No allowing for changes in base rates, no consideration for the future value of capital nor the effect of inflation on the savings, no consideration given to cost of mandatory insurances, stamp, registration etc, no consideration for maintenance of the property.

I'm not going to bother working it out any further, it's not an attractive enough proposition for me - we're going to weather the storm with our property in the UK instead.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
I'm not going to bother working it out any further, it's not an attractive enough proposition for me - we're going to weather the storm with our property in the UK instead.
Well, we don't have any other property, so will have too.
And I can get a house for 200000 here, so about 1300 a month mortgage or so, and we can afford that easily, and even if we have kids in 7 or so years, we'll still be able to afford it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.