Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:48 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Originally Posted by renth
That's the reason we are in this situation - people spending vast sums of money they didn't have: credit cards, re-mortgaging the house etc...
And the banks somehow packaged up this debt as high quality and sold it on. Nearly all busts have happened when the markets realise the boom has become debt fuelled and is unsustainable.

No one has ever beaten the economic cycle. It is as certain as death and taxes.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by markallwood
I largely agree with your statement above. However, your original comment was a bit sensationalist and massively overstated the importance of mining in the Australian economy.

Mining may well take a hit in years to come. But there is no evidence to suggest that the economy will fall apart as a result.
My statement was that if mining goes down the pan ie into recession then the economy is as f&ck3d as the US/UK. I stand by that statement. It does not mean that mining will go down the pan but states the importance to the wider economy of mining.

Without mining Australia would just be a nation of sheep shaggers like our cousins across the ditch.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget all the incomprehensible, at least to most of us, stuff you read about the economy. Recessions start like this....

I had planned to have a new kitchen fitted and new front doors as well… total cost was probably about $25k. That won’t be happening now. The money will be staying firmly in my pocket. I will be one of tens of thousands of people making similar decisions, and there, in a nutshell, you have your recession.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Without mining Australia would just be a nation of sheep shaggers like our cousins across the ditch.
So, what about the other 92% of the economy? I guess that doesn't count.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:25 am

So, what about the other 92% of the economy? I guess that doesn't count.
That makes Australia like the US/UK/NZ. Please enlighten me on the state of those economies.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

That makes Australia like the US/UK/NZ. Please enlighten me on the state of those economies.
eh? I don't understand what you mean. Of course the Australian economy is made up of different sectors, just like other economies.

What is your point?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:00 am

eh? I don't understand what you mean. Of course the Australian economy is made up of different sectors, just like other economies.

What is your point?
That if mining holds steady the Australian economy will probably stagnate and tax rises may not be needed. The more mining contracts the greater the chance of a recession like the UK/US/NZ will have or are already having. The more commodities falls back the more our taxes will be. Very few other countries in the world have a commodites sector as significant as Australia has. It is not just a minor sector of the economy.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've posted loads on this over the last few weeks. Do a search.

BHP, Rio and FMG remain confident - so am I.

This is my last post on this topic.
FMG are in deep crap, their 20 year business plan has fallen over after 3 years, their predicted shipments for next year have been slashed from 39mt to 30mt, which wont fulfill their current capacity, let alone any further expansions. I doubt they'll still be functioning as FMG in a years time. Mining although still expanding is looking like Wiley Coyote when he runs off the cliff still running in mid air before he falls, however there's a large gas & infrastructure industry in Oz which should mop up most of the carnage in my industry when the miners finally hit the earth. Was looking at sunrise, the great news oracle it is, they're saying rightly so that Perth's housing market looks to be decimated when the miners do start being made redundant.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:26 am
Account Open

I still don't quite understand what you are getting at.

You originally said that Australia would be nothing without mining.

I said that mining only makes up a small proportion of GDP.

You said "that makes Aus like US/UK/NZ...and look at their economies" ? And then you go on to say that Australia has a very significant commodities sector.

I think that you need to take a more balanced view of the Australian economy.
a) consider the economy as a whole, not just one sector.
b) consider a wider range of economic indicators and compare these to indicators for other countries.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:26 am

I still don't quite understand what you are getting at.

You originally said that Australia would be nothing without mining.

I said that mining only makes up a small proportion of GDP.

You said "that makes Aus like US/UK/NZ...and look at their economies" ? And then you go on to say that Australia has a very significant commodities sector.

I think that you need to take a more balanced view of the Australian economy.
a) consider the economy as a whole, not just one sector.
b) consider a wider range of economic indicators and compare these to indicators for other countries.
No I said Australia would be as f&ck3d as the US without mining. Mining is hugely significant and not a minor part of the economy as you and some others think. The other sectors of the economy depend on mining for low taxes and infrastructure spending.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Aus does alright given that we have such a small population.

The dollar is down where it should be. No subsidies here so the low dollar helps our exporters and they are far more important than people taking trips o/seas.
Also stops all that stupid junky stuff being imported here.

No-one is an expert and no-one really knows what will happen or when if anyone did know none of the present world economic shamozzle would have happened.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is in a pretty good state really, recessions are a natural part of the economic cycle.

Have a look at the Baltic Dry Index (BDI), could be some very rough times for the Australian mining sector.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
No subsidies here so the low dollar helps our exporters and they are far more important than people taking trips o/seas.
There are a number of subsidised industries, especially the car industry. A low dollar may increase the price of junk but it also increases the prices of many other necessary imports such as medicines, building materials etc. which pushes up inflation and diminishes wealth.

A steady predictable dollar helps us all. The economic cycle has always happened. Its timing and variation is just hard to predict. The main cause of the downwards part of the cycle is excessive debt fuelling prices above sustainable levels. The problems today are because the financial system found new ways of fuelling debt out of sight of the regulators.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by sr71
NZ is in a pretty good state really, recessions are a natural part of the economic cycle.
They are and as long as they are not too deep they provide a cleansing affect to the economy. Fingers crossed the recession is not too deep.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Aus does alright given that we have such a small population.

The dollar is down where it should be. No subsidies here so the low dollar helps our exporters and they are far more important than people taking trips o/seas.

No-one is an expert and no-one really knows what will happen or when if anyone did know none of the present world economic shamozzle would have happened.
Like 4Margaret says: main thing I pick up from everyone I speak to is that everyone is nervous, more than a little fearful of the future and that all are battening down the hatches. That in itself is going to cause casualties in a whole load of economic sectors.
The simple fact is that no-one knows where this is going, but we should know about the worst of the current financial exposures within the next couple of months as all the toxic debt becomes apparent.
On the plus side, we really have never had it so good: look at the quality (and quantity!!)of your life vs that of your parents or grandparents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.