Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Originally Posted by Devlin
I'm sure the country will be "okay". But people working in the mining industry are likely not to be. Australia is just repeating history, every commodity boom has turned to bust, this time won't be any different.
I'd agree with you Devlin and disagree with Amazulu.

Every BIS Shrapnel economics forum I attend over the last 2 years stated quite clearly that the resources boom would turn to a blimp sometime soon. The recent crisis has made indicated it will now happen sooner.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:29 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure the country will be "okay". But people working in the mining industry are likely not to be. Australia is just repeating history, every commodity boom has turned to bust, this time won't be any different.
If mining is OK the Oz economy is OK. If mining goes down the pan then this country is well and truly *****3d way beyond what is happening in the US and UK. Before the boom taxes were higher than in the UK and kicked in at lower incomes.

The commodity boom is that commodities have more than quadrupled in price in the last few years. They will probably go back to double what they were before the boom. That boom led to speculative projects with a number of high risk companies. That fringe element will slow right back.

The main problem with that is that there will be a rationalisation which basically means companies will review all projects and cut back on those that have become uneconomic due to inflation and the drops in prices.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The current problems and the next threat lay largely with something few of you have probably heard of (without wishing to sound patronising) - Credit Default Swaps (CDS's). Partly quoting The Times:
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1013-4z8w.html
CDS and Aussie banks

A Citibank report from mid-July shows ANZ at the top of the CDS pile in Australia. It had $45.7 billion worth of CDS in its conduits.

While all the banks used CDS to hedge their credit risk, ANZ actively traded them.

In other words, as with its primacy in stock lending (of Opes Prime fame), it took the greater risks.

As of March, the bank had some $23.4 billion in ``long'' CDS positions and $22.3 billion in ``short'' CDS positions.

``ANZ entered short CDS positions with counterparties who desired credit protection whilst simultaneously purchasing offsetting protection for a cheaper premium from different counterparties (we understand these counterparties were "monoline" insurers on around half of all occasions). The spread differential between the short premium and long premium generated trading income,'' says the Citibank report.

When one such monoline insurer, ACA, was downgraded from investment grade to CCC in February 2008, ANZ was forced to recognise a provision of $226 million based upon a $1.5 billion notional contract value.

``In effect, they were saying that the long leg of the trade was not suitable in terms of providing insurance - as the rating of the insurer was sub-investment grade the hedge was no longer viable.''

As with other financial stocks now underperforming their peers, ANZ partied hard in the good times by indulging too much in high-yield securities. Now it is clear they were not high-yield for nothing.

Its rivals carry risk but not to the same degree.

CBA has $5.9 billion ($3 billion bought and $2.9 billion sold), Westpac has $15.6 billion ( $9.4 billion and $6.2 billion) and NAB, which Citigroup rates second to ANZ on risk has $24.4 billion in CDS ($13.7 billion and $10.7 billion).

This, of course, is all before we get to CDOs, CLOs, ABS and so on.

There will be nasties to come, and before the banks come clean and tell us who their counterparties are, the mystery will continue to erode confidence.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in making teeth for people who has lost most or all of them & I have probs with recession.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry no probs with recession
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:48 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
If mining is OK the Oz economy is OK. If mining goes down the pan then this country is well and truly *****3d way beyond what is happening in the US and UK.
See, this is what gets me about these kind of discussions. People make sweeping statements that are very often factually incorrect.

We are all guilty of doing this. When someone makes a persuasive argument to us, we believe it, then we repeat it in parrot-like fashion to whoever else will listen.

The mining sector made up less than 8% of GDP in 2006-07 according to the ABS.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

FFS man, you missed out the punchline...

Times are tough, but some look for levity, as one joke doing the rounds goes:

"This is way worse than a divorce ...I've lost half my net worth and I still have my wife."

Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. But would you care to elaborate why you believe this commodity boom will not turn to bust this time? Is it because you believe demand for Chinese exports will hold and therefore their appetite for raw materials won't diminish?

The only way I can see this happening is if domestic Chinese demand increases enough to outweigh the the inevitable sharp slow-down in European and US imports from China.
I've posted loads on this over the last few weeks. Do a search.

BHP, Rio and FMG remain confident - so am I.

This is my last post on this topic.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Many of the same problems that are happening over here in the UK and in the US of A are evident in Oz:

• Massive and unsustainable housing price bubble (don't kid yourself, just watch)
• Upward pressure on inflation
• Unprecedented levels of personal unsecured debt
• Exports to any other country experiencing recession will drop

On the upside:

• Australia has 4 of the remaining 20 AA rated banks on earth
• Australia has a VERY limited sub-prime mortgage market
• Australia is not massively in debt
• The RBA has more flexibility with interest rates than say the US as there's plenty of downside to play with (US Fed rates are at 1.5% so many more rate cuts aren't possible!!)

Despite these upsides, Oz will get sucked into the fray and suffer a recession. I reckon it'll be worse than a lot or people seem to think (hey - I'm on the side of pessimism this time!!) But it won't be as bad as UK/USA.

I think it's time for everyone to rip up those credit cards and save, save, save. Don't buy a house, don't buy stocks, don't buy a new car and don't quit your job!!

Just live like your Grandma did and if I'm wrong you'll thank me anyway in 5 years when you have $100k in the bank!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autorock
I think it's time for everyone to rip up those credit cards and save, save, save. Don't buy a house, don't buy stocks, don't buy a new car and don't quit your job!!
But by doing this, you are exasperating the problem.

If everyone in the UK followed your lead, the economy would suffer a terrible recession, with massive job losses in every sector.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by markallwood
See, this is what gets me about these kind of discussions. People make sweeping statements that are very often factually incorrect.

We are all guilty of doing this. When someone makes a persuasive argument to us, we believe it, then we repeat it in parrot-like fashion to whoever else will listen.

The mining sector made up less than 8% of GDP in 2006-07 according to the ABS.
8% is highly significant part of the economy. What is more significant is the proportion of exports (35%) and tax receipts at all levels of government. It is no co-incidence that as mining has done well so has the Australian economy. Without it the foreign income goes down, government income goes down as well as the sectors servicing mining. The tax cuts over the last few years have only been possibile due to mining. Without mining your taxes go up and services will be cut. Needed infrastructure will then be postponed and the rest of the economy will slow even more.

Mining has also put a large upwards pressure on wages.

BTW my job depends on Australia's primary industries. It is not in my interest nor that of other migrants for a mining recession.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savanna454
Hi folks

This guy was on the ABC 7.30 report earlier this week.

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/

I guess he is the pessimistic balance to the optimism of the politicians wrt the OZ economy and has the academic status to back it.

Feel much more of a mushroom here compared to the UK - you know kept in the dark and fed on s..t!

Not the lies/propaganda of a 3rd world state more being treated like a child "there there she'll be right"

Maybe too much negative Brit rather than Optimistic Aussie!

Your thoughts?
To whoever 'gets it right'....can I have next weekends winning Lotto numbers too please (I'll cut you in...)?

Thanks.
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've posted loads on this over the last few weeks. Do a search.

BHP, Rio and FMG remain confident - so am I.

This is my last post on this topic.
I did and no informed analysis is among them. I guess the views of these companies with clear vested interests is all the information you require!
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
But by doing this, you are exasperating the problem.

If everyone in the UK followed your lead, the economy would suffer a terrible recession, with massive job losses in every sector.
That's the reason we are in this situation - people spending vast sums of money they didn't have: credit cards, re-mortgaging the house etc...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:40 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by IvanM
8% is highly significant part of the economy. What is more significant is the proportion of exports (35%) and tax receipts at all levels of government. It is no co-incidence that as mining has done well so has the Australian economy. Without it the foreign income goes down, government income goes down as well as the sectors servicing mining. The tax cuts over the last few years have only been possibile due to mining. Without mining your taxes go up and services will be cut. Needed infrastructure will then be postponed and the rest of the economy will slow even more.

Mining has also put a large upwards pressure on wages.

BTW my job depends on Australia's primary industries. It is not in my interest nor that of other migrants for a mining recession.
I largely agree with your statement above. However, your original comment was a bit sensationalist and massively overstated the importance of mining in the Australian economy.

Mining may well take a hit in years to come. But there is no evidence to suggest that the economy will fall apart as a result.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.