Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ ECONOMICS DOWN THE DUNNY?

Originally Posted by Devlin
with the AUD now having not much more value than toilet paper
What a ridiculous statement. The AUD has been weaker against GBP and USD before. GBP has taken a hit against USD - but again, it's been lower before. I can remember USD1.40/GBP in the not too distant past.

Junior miners like Mt Gibson might be having a few problems - and some of the smaller new projects might be postponed, but the big boys, BHP, Rio and to a lesser degree, FMG are signed in to long term fixed price contracts. They are still expanding. They are looking beyond the current turmoil, at 2010 and beyond. They see China back on track (if they ever fell off - economy is still growing at 8-9%), industrialising, urbanising and booming. They are investing right now for this.

This awesome country is going to be okay.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
What that guy says makes a lot of sense. A lot more sense than the deluded "another boom on the horizon" commentators, with their portfolios of investment properties to talk up.

Ignorance will not be bliss in this case. Optimism is fine, but not when people are being sucked in to other people's get rich schemes, which require an endless supply of greater fools.

You will find that most people's opinions on recession and the closely related issue of property prices reflect their own exposure the market, how many investment properties they have, etc. That is to say, it's based on wishful thinking, with the analysis starting from the conclusion they want to hear.

Up to now, I believe the Australian media have been reluctant to speak about what is really going on owing to all the vested interests. The mood seems to be starting to change now as the elephant in the room is just getting a bit too big.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there really is another boom coming. But how can that make sense when a whole generation is being shut out of the property market, when bank lending has been predicated on property prices rising indefinitely ("doubling every seven years" -- how many times have we heard that one?), outstripping wage growth forever?

Sure, nobody knows exactly what will happen, but anyone who really stops to think about it knows what needs to happen. I really hope Australia can get away with some kind of soft landing, but I think it is looking less likely with the bubble so highly inflated.

My thoughts exactly, spot on Exile.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu

This awesome country is going to be okay.
I'm sure the country will be "okay". But people working in the mining industry are likely not to be. Australia is just repeating history, every commodity boom has turned to bust, this time won't be any different.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

What that guy says makes a lot of sense. A lot more sense than the deluded "another boom on the horizon" commentators, with their portfolios of investment properties to talk up.

Ignorance will not be bliss in this case. Optimism is fine, but not when people are being sucked in to other people's get rich schemes, which require an endless supply of greater fools.

You will find that most people's opinions on recession and the closely related issue of property prices reflect their own exposure the market, how many investment properties they have, etc. That is to say, it's based on wishful thinking, with the analysis starting from the conclusion they want to hear.

Up to now, I believe the Australian media have been reluctant to speak about what is really going on owing to all the vested interests. The mood seems to be starting to change now as the elephant in the room is just getting a bit too big.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there really is another boom coming. But how can that make sense when a whole generation is being shut out of the property market, when bank lending has been predicated on property prices rising indefinitely ("doubling every seven years" -- how many times have we heard that one?), outstripping wage growth forever?

Sure, nobody knows exactly what will happen, but anyone who really stops to think about it knows what needs to happen. I really hope Australia can get away with some kind of soft landing, but I think it is looking less likely with the bubble so highly inflated.
I'd second that Exile!

OZ GDP versus Personal debt ratios are staggering

As for the view that the China/OZ Commodities party will continue in isolation to world events - a house of cards in waiting.

In the scheme of things this awesome country is really a small player and will not be immune to a protracted depression.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savanna454
I'd second that Exile!

OZ GDP versus Personal debt ratios are staggering

As for the view that the China/OZ Commodities party will continue in isolation to world events - a house of cards in waiting.

In the scheme of things this awesome country is really a small player and will not be immune to a protracted depression.

I third it, sadly. Tough times ahead, I'm just glad I have a relatively secure job at a university.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the country will be "okay". But people working in the mining industry are likely not to be. Australia is just repeating history, every commodity boom has turned to bust, this time won't be any different.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I wish the bloody press would keep their mouths shut as I believee it's a very large factor in this mess. They are shaking everyone's confidence and will someone please shut that bloody Robert Peston up - he's doing loads of damage!
Correct

The UK media has been talking in a recession for the past 12 months
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

I don't agree that the media has been talking things down here in the UK, as an example the Express is constantly reporting the opposite, and it is ridiculous to suggest that this is the cause of the upcoming recession. You cannot "talk yourself into" the situation that we have all found ourselves in over the last few weeks. There are real global economic factors in play here and they have been building up for 4 or 5 years to this financial catastophe which is currently playing out.

We know much more about what is happening because of the information we have at our fingertips these days, and have more access to "case studies" about people who are affected through forums such as this.

The UK is dependent on the financial services sector for a huge amount of employment. The trickle down from city worker bonuses has a massive effect on the UK economy in good and bad times. It is reliant on other nations to import food and we do not have a manufacturing base here anymore.

My feeling is that I would rather be anywhere than the UK at the moment, things are going to get bad here very soon. As far as how Australia will be affected I have to say that I have to listen to others who have much more knowledge in this area than myself but it has to be better placed than the UK at the moment.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Correct

The UK media has been talking in a recession for the past 12 months
If anything, the real problem is that the media did not talk about the risk of recession soon enough. Nobody wanted to hear it as they were too busy ramping up debt, buying flat-screen TVs, buying houses and investment houses.

The recession was in large part caused by greed. It was the I'm alright, beggar-thy-neighbour-and-the-next-generation, it's-all-good, booms-are-great-unless-you're-on-the-outside-looking-in attitude.

Robert Peston is not the cause of the recession. He just explains what is happening.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:18 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Exile,

I know very little, but a very well balanced post, not stating micro issues but explaining it in easily understood "how it happened" terms!

Nice One, Cheers, kEITH.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Exile,

I know very little, but a very well balanced post, not stating micro issues but explaining it in easily understood "how it happened" terms!

Nice One, Cheers, kEITH.
I agree - it's uncanny how he/she seems to have an insight to these things.

Do you think s/he works in the finance/banking industry...?!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:50 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

That's funny, it doesn't seem to be working like that for us! My husband is in mining and things are looking better than ever for us. This last couple months has seen a huge increase in pay and bonuses.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The current problems and the next threat lay largely with something few of you have probably heard of (without wishing to sound patronising) - Credit Default Swaps (CDS's). Partly quoting The Times:

These obscure financial instruments began to be widely used in the 1990's as a way for companies to insure themselves against borrowers who failed to pay their debts. In simple terms, a company worried that it might not get paid by a borrower strikes a deal with another party to compensate it if the borrower defaults. The risk is transferred and thus it is called a 'credit default swap'.

Later these contracts came to be traded, further spreading the risk - and the exposure. The market has grown rapidly and is now worth more than US$50 trillion. The problem is that the trading is unregulated and the deals are struck between private companies. Exactly what the mountain of CDS deals are worth or whether parties can actually meet their obligations is not easy to find out.

As companies run into difficulty in the recession (and everyone will have one, no exceptions), loan defaults will rise. That in turn will put pressure on the CDS market. If firms that have offered default protection find they cannot now pay, it could have a domino effect - one firm's default could cause a different one to go bankrupt."

It is estimated that half the US$700 billion bale out package is needed to cover the CDS's relating to the collapse of Lehman Bros with those who guaranteed their loans only likely to receive 9 cents in the dollar.

I presume the OP is questioning the Oz economy rather than Oz economics?

Many of you underestimate the psychology of a recession/depression. It's why PM's and ministers and some country's press try to talk things up. To talk things down in the interests of being honest is economic (and political) suicide.

China has already announced cuts in steel production - delivering one of the main reasons for stock market mayhem around the globe on Thurs and Fri.

Australia won't avoid recession but at least Australian banks are on a sounder footing than their UK and US (and Icelandic!) equivalents with better capital ratios, far fewer 'toxic assets' and less off balance sheet CDS's. Australia showed the way with the 1% i/r cut; Brown showed the way with his bank rescue package, Bush and co have frankly dithered and they caused most of the mayhem.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
Sure. But would you care to elaborate why you believe this commodity boom will not turn to bust this time? Is it because you believe demand for Chinese exports will hold and therefore their appetite for raw materials won't diminish?

The only way I can see this happening is if domestic Chinese demand increases enough to outweigh the the inevitable sharp slow-down in European and US imports from China.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Guys,

Interesting to note that conservatism (with a small c) in Australia may win the day - check out Robert Peston's blog today on the BBC - £50 bn required to bail out the UK banks - leaders amonst them Royal Bank of Scotland and HBOS. The shame.......rename them and take out the S (cotland) word!! To think we were known as the conservative financiers......

In fact, let's see: Government Of Britain, Share Holder In Times of Emergency......GOBSHITE!!!

Can you do better??

Twinset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.