Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ Driving licence

Wikiposts

OZ Driving licence

Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by irishmolly
I was always under the impression when you arrive in Oz it was a straight swap over from a EU (UK and Ireland) for the equivilent drivers license ?

I passed my HGV (atriculated and rigid trucks) 12 years ago and don't really want to do it again especially after paying a small fortune to get the license and lessons in the first place.

So after all that once we arrive in Queensland we must do another driving test for cars and trucks ???

If anyone can confirm please post reply, cheers.
As the thread says you have to do a written exam to convert your license. Have a look on your states transport authority's website for details.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by irishmolly
I was always under the impression when you arrive in Oz it was a straight swap over from a EU (UK and Ireland) for the equivilent drivers license ?

I passed my HGV (atriculated and rigid trucks) 12 years ago and don't really want to do it again especially after paying a small fortune to get the license and lessons in the first place.

So after all that once we arrive in Queensland we must do another driving test for cars and trucks ???

If anyone can confirm please post reply, cheers.
It used to be, back in the 80's !! In those days, as you say, it was a straight swap over.
But these days, you must do the theory test. It isn't that bad, as long as you read the rules book for a few days first, to understand the differences between UK and here. eg: being allowed to overtake on the inside, The transit lane 100 metre rule
and a few other things.
You can take the test once a day until you pass it.
Dont worry if you get it wrong the first time, the staff will discuss the wrong answers with you, to help next time.
I got exactly the same 30 questions on my second attempt, but I think thats QLD for you

I didn't have to do an eyesight test ! Did anyone else ?

Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>My favourite is what do you do when the traffic light turns amber. On the parramatta road with a hoon 1 foot from your arse there is only 1 answer. <<

Here in Florida , as in India, RED lights are purely advisory!

AMBER lights are not quite so important as the red ones........
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

Yes!

Just remembered something else...

I was told at the RTA office that if I did not pass the theory test within three months of arriving here then I would have to take the practical test as well !!

(and remember, I already passed it once back in 1995)

Now this is NSW and what with the problems I had getting a Medicare card, I'm beginning to wonder if it is just me the authorities have it in for?

Maybe they didn't like the fact that I left Australia the first time around?

Or maybe they just don't like my pommie face?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:38 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

When you say time limit do you mean, time allowed to take the test itself or length of time after arriving in the country.
First option: - sit as long as you want and do the test.
Second option: - it should be within 3 months
Second option
buga, best i get down to vic roads this week!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

It used to be, back in the 80's !! In those days, as you say, it was a straight swap over.
But these days, you must do the theory test. It isn't that bad, as long as you read the rules book for a few days first, to understand the differences between UK and here. eg: being allowed to overtake on the inside, The transit lane 100 metre rule
and a few other things.
You can take the test once a day until you pass it.
Dont worry if you get it wrong the first time, the staff will discuss the wrong answers with you, to help next time.
I got exactly the same 30 questions on my second attempt, but I think thats QLD for you

$9-25 for the highway code type booklet, picked it up today from the local transport dep't office. (behind the Kippa Ring shopping centre). Just over $15 today for the theory test.

Of course QLD only.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OZ Driving licence

I got a QLD driving licence today.

Passed the theory test 29/30 at 2nd attempt.
First time I only got 26 out of 30.

And they don't ask why you didn't do it during the first three months !! phew

Costs if anyone is interested: (This is QLD, other States may vary.)

Theory test $15.50 each attempt
Licence $ 60.75 for 5 years.

I was as nervous as hell doing the theory test, i've been driving for 35 years and taking a test now is not easy !!

eg: How far are you allowed to drive in a special purpose lane (excluding bicycle lanes), when entering a road:
A: 100metres
B: Not at all
C: 50 metres

First thing I thought was: Whats a special purpose lane ? Then i guessed at an answer, and that was the one I got wrong !!
What is the answer to that and what is a special purpose lane?

I will have to take the theory test when I get to Cairns and wouldn't want to fail on this question
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the fact that you are sposed to get Oz licence within the specified time frames, you'll find that many insurers will offer lower premiums if you have an Oz licence - this certainly worked for me.

Also read the small print on the excess section - you may pay higher excess if you don't hold Oz licence. E.g. it could say "licence for less than 2 years - excess = $xxx" - ask them whether this means Oz licence for less than 2 years or any licence for <2 yrs.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Aside from the fact that you are sposed to get Oz licence within the specified time frames, you'll find that many insurers will offer lower premiums if you have an Oz licence - this certainly worked for me.

Also read the small print on the excess section - you may pay higher excess if you don't hold Oz licence. E.g. it could say "licence for less than 2 years - excess = $xxx" - ask them whether this means Oz licence for less than 2 years or any licence for <2 yrs.
Great advice, thanks for that, shall remember to ask
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Natbat
What is the answer to that and what is a special purpose lane?

I will have to take the theory test when I get to Cairns and wouldn't want to fail on this question
eg: How far are you allowed to drive in a special purpose lane (excluding bicycle lanes), when entering a road:

The answer was 100 metres. I still don't know what a special purpose lane is !! Although I think it may be a Transit Lane.

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

The answer was 100 metres. I still don't know what a special purpose lane is !! Although I think it may be a Transit Lane.

Just to let you know that i did the online test (NSW one i think) and failed although my 11 year old daughter passed!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Just to let you know that i did the online test (NSW one i think) and failed although my 11 year old daughter passed!!!!!
The Mrs failed first time and passed second time. I got 100% first time and got called a smart arse by the Mrs.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

I have heard that insurance may not actually cover you after 3 months.

The police consider that a Permanent Resident in the State, is driving without a licence, and will be fined for that, if they do not have an OZ licence after 3 months. Therefore, the insurance company can consider the same, ie: you are not a licenced driver.

:scared:

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
The Mrs failed first time and passed second time. I got 100% first time and got called a smart arse by the Mrs.
I passed first time here but think the examiner was just terrified and couldn't wait to get me out of the car!