Reload this Page >

OZ Driving licence

Wikiposts

OZ Driving licence

Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Default OZ Driving licence

I got a QLD driving licence today.

Passed the theory test 29/30 at 2nd attempt.
First time I only got 26 out of 30.

And they don't ask why you didn't do it during the first three months !! phew

Costs if anyone is interested: (This is QLD, other States may vary.)

Theory test $15.50 each attempt
Licence $ 60.75 for 5 years.

I was as nervous as hell doing the theory test, i've been driving for 35 years and taking a test now is not easy !!

eg: How far are you allowed to drive in a special purpose lane (excluding bicycle lanes), when entering a road:
A: 100metres
B: Not at all
C: 50 metres

First thing I thought was: Whats a special purpose lane ? Then i guessed at an answer, and that was the one I got wrong !!

Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. :PARTY:
is there a time limit on when you should do this, i'm feeling a little worried!!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:19 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hevs
Well done.
is there a time limit on when you should do this, i'm feeling a little worried!!
Not in NSW. When I did mine the (young) guy next to me was still on his first page when I'd finished. (Worrying! He's going to be out on the road at the same time as me....!)

[smug] 49/49, by the way, first time [/smug]
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Every state is different. I advise getting the booklet to read up on your states laws. There are some funny qs such as how far in front of and behind a post office box can you park.

My favourite is what do you do when the traffic light turns amber. On the parramatta road with a hoon 1 foot from your arse there is only 1 answer.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:32 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
My favourite is what do you do when the traffic light turns amber. On the parramatta road with a hoon 1 foot from your arse there is only 1 answer.
PMSL! Been there, done that!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Do lights go amber in Sydney? Is this amber to red or amber to green? I still haven't got used to the lights in QLD going straight from Red to Green. Look away for a second and suddenly they've changed.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:34 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by jayr
Do lights go amber in Sydney? Is this amber to red or amber to green? I still haven't got used to the lights in QLD going straight from Red to Green. Look away for a second and suddenly they've changed.
Red - Green - Amber - Red.

But it's usually a l-o-n-g amber.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it then you have to retake the test when you move states?

Wouldn't expect anything else I guess.

When I lived in Sydney in 95/96 I took the practical tests (you had to back then) for both car and motorcycle, as well as the theory tests.

I failed the driving test the first time

When I came back here six months ago I left it a week before visiting the RTA to renew my licence. However I was told in no uncertain terms that as my licence had expired by more than five years (ONE day over the five years as it happens ) I would have to do them both again.

I thought they meant the practical tests and nearly exploded

Was much relieved when they said that it was just theory as they post all the questions and answers on their web site.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

After a week of cramming I passed both tests on the day without getting any questions wrong

Looks like I'll have to do it all again if/when I move to Brisbane

Oh well, that's Australia for you
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You just change licenses when you change states. They aren't that sadistic. The rules changed 1 month after I arrived so lucky I didn't rush things or I would have taken the practical.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
I learned that rule the hard way !!
I stopped, but the car behind didn't !! Parramatta Road in Leichhardt.

Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Thomaz
I take it then you have to retake the test when you move states?
Looks like I'll have to do it all again if/when I move to Brisbane
As BP says, you dont need to take it again, just hand over your NSW licence, when you get here, and they give you a QLD one.

No charge and same expiry date as your NSW one was.
That's what my wife did when we got here.

Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
As BP says, you dont need to take it again, just hand over your NSW licence, when you get here, and they give you a QLD one.

No charge and same expiry date as your NSW one was.
That's what my wife did when we got here.
As easy as that?

Sounds too good to be true

I've just been looking through the test questions again. Some of the possible answers make me laugh.

Here's one of the gems...

CG068 You borrow a friend's car and find that the position of the driver's seat puts you sitting a long way from the steering wheel and controls. What should you do?

- Adjust the seat forward so it's right for you.
- Put up with the discomfort; you should not adjust another person's seat.
- Ask your friend for a cushion to place behind your back.

Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by hevs
Well done. :PARTY:
When you say time limit do you mean, time allowed to take the test itself or length of time after arriving in the country.
First option: - sit as long as you want and do the test.
Second option: - it should be within 3 months, but i exceeded that by a couple of years. Your insurance may be invalid if you don't do it on time.

I had unusual circumstances, and was always within a three month limit of arriving wherever I was ( well, technically )

Thomaz, yes, it was as easy as that I even just asked my wife, so I am 100% sure.

Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Sure I read on here that you can practice the theory test online, anybody know the website.

Do you do a practical as well.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:36 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
Sure I read on here that you can practice the theory test online, anybody know the website.

Do you do a practical as well.

Debs my missus has an interactive OZ drivin test on her poota, its linked to some website, but i cant find it, APPRECIATE the link when someone responds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.