Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Bank Accounts opened in th UK

Oz Bank Accounts opened in th UK

Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Default Oz Bank Accounts opened in th UK

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise me on who to open my Oz Bank Account with, either Commenwealth Bank or HSBC, I think Commenwealth have more branches throughout Oz. I want to open an account in the UK before I leave. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Lisa
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We ended up using the commonwealth just as a stop gap till we get over and make a decision who we bank with. being in Scotland it was hard when we where trying to open an HSBC account as they want you to take in as much info and identification that you can and that's hard when the nearest HSBC is a 2 hour drive away.

also as like me you are in Scotland you can go into the Clysdale bank and I believe that you can open an ozzy bank account with them via the Bank of OZ ? But please do note quote me on that.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

We ended up using the commonwealth just as a stop gap till we get over and make a decision who we bank with. being in Scotland it was hard when we where trying to open an HSBC account as they want you to take in as much info and identification that you can and that's hard when the nearest HSBC is a 2 hour drive away.

also as like me you are in Scotland you can go into the Clysdale bank and I believe that you can open an ozzy bank account with them via the Bank of OZ ? But please do note quote me on that.
National Australia Bank own the Clydesdale (and the Yorkshire, and the Ulster). They have lots of branches in Australia as does the Commonwealth - but not so many HSBC which you'll find in the city centres but not in many of the 'burbs. We used Commonwealth without any problems but others have been critical of them. Do a search on Commonwealth Bank, bank accounts etc in this forum and the immigration forum and you'll get plenty of advice which has already been posted. Good luck.

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:39 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oz Bank Accounts opened in th UK

Lisa
we are also looking to emmigrate in July of this year and already have family in OZ re the bank account, we have dealt with HSBC here in the UK and they have sent us some forms to complete together with passports etc etc and they are giving introductions in Aus and recommending us for mortgage etc which is also difficult in Aus as they do not recognise your history in the UK. I also know that you have to open an account within 6 weeks of arriving. So my offer of help would be ask HSBC and they will contact there HQ in London and sort this out for you, satge 1. And then when you arrive get an account ( everyday) with the commonwealth bank as they have more brances. St George is another up and coming bank however I know they are in Sydney but not sure where else.
Finally when, where and why are you moving??

Gary and Terri
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:51 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
just read on another site(oops) that if you open a bank account in UK, the Commonwealth bank will give you a reference reguarding property rental and also give you a credit card(useful upon arrival and helps to minimize bank charges.And there supposed to have a good migrant banking service.
I haven't decide which bank yet but CBA doesn't look bad FWIW.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:05 pm
WBB

you can apply for an HSBC online account.

http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/accounts/osa.html

if anyone is interested.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:07 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Bank Accounts opened in th UK

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
Lisa
we are also looking to emmigrate in July of this year and already have family in OZ re the bank account, we have dealt with HSBC here in the UK and they have sent us some forms to complete together with passports etc etc and they are giving introductions in Aus and recommending us for mortgage etc which is also difficult in Aus as they do not recognise your history in the UK. I also know that you have to open an account within 6 weeks of arriving. So my offer of help would be ask HSBC and they will contact there HQ in London and sort this out for you, satge 1. And then when you arrive get an account ( everyday) with the commonwealth bank as they have more brances. St George is another up and coming bank however I know they are in Sydney but not sure where else.
Finally when, where and why are you moving??

Gary and Terri
St George is an old "Building Society" turned bank. We've had an account there for the last 15 years. Coincidentally I've been trying to log on to them all morning with no success - I keep getting a message saying their "certificate" comes from an untrusted source!

They have many many branches all over Oz - in most small towns there is at least one.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am just in the process of opening an account with the commonwealth bank www.commonwealth.com.au.
i looked into HSBC too, but didn't have enough money to open it with . well not until the house sale goes through
opening an account with commonwealth seems very straight forward. i just rang the number on the website, they sent an info pack, i have just completed it.
I have spoken to my husbands cousin in oz, she reckons there will be better deals with credit ubions when we get out there, but this will get us going.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, i'll look into it a bit more but i think commonwealth sound the best

Thanks

Lisa