Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is oz as attractive as it was?

Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:33 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is oz as attractive as it was?

Can I suggest creating yourself a couple of accounts & doing a "dummy run" with the online grocery shopping services...should give you a fairly realistic comparison with what you are currently spending

http://www.coles.com.au/
http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm...te/Woolworths/
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Less than 10 bucks for a parmie and a pot is good.
It probably tastes like it cost less than 10 bucks as well.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;8444274]It's not all bad news mate. The sum total of 7 years living in Australia and reading these forums:

Actually, there are several people that do well in Australia.

Not bad out of 22,282,890
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Not bad out of 22,282,890
And don't forget the "net overseas migration of 297,400 people, for the year ended September 2009'

Getting a few who hate the place out of that many, must be expected..

Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And don't forget the "net overseas migration of 297,400 people, for the year ended September 2009'

Getting a few who hate the place out of that many, must be expected..
Not so say people hate Australia, but many do better elsewhere, and I wouldnt quibble about that if I had a family to feed. BTW I prefer to make my own cheesecake :-p
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Not so say people hate Australia, but many do better elsewhere, and I wouldnt quibble about that if I had a family to feed. BTW I prefer to make my own cheesecake :-p
Some are only temp visa and when the work runs out they go back to their old lives/jobs. Lucky them - I know others lured out here on fabulous wages/conditions which ends up in redundancy - one within a matter of months.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

How will your kids buy a house? By studying hard, then working hard, and saving up until they can afford one.
This is excellent advice JAJ! My kids are going to have to be doctors or lawyers to be able to afford a house in a bogan suburb if house prices keep on outstripping wage inflation. Also, they'll need a partner who is also on high income.

You do know that people have to work twice as many hours to pay of an average home compared to 10 years ago. In 10 - 20 years time, if prices keep going up then I'm sure my educated kids will bugger off and set up home in some other country. It will be the same reason why so many Poms came here 10+ years ago, because housing was cheap relative to incomes.

Australia is a great place BUT only for those who have little or no mortgage, get paid tons as cost of living has skyrocketed.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

sometimes i think we all missed the boat and should be looking into places like vietnam, rural china, south america etc. they are where oz was 30 years ago - strange, behind, exotic, cheap...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
You do know that people have to work twice as many hours to pay of an average home compared to 10 years ago.
That is something that I didn't know, and still don't.

Average Male Full Time Earnings NSW
May-1999 $ 899.60
May-2009 $1,353.00
  • up 50% in 10 years

Average NSW First Home Mortgage
Jan-Dec 1999 $160,378
Jan-Dec 2009 $292,734
  • up 83% in 10 years

Average Mortage Repayments
In 1999 $1,124.33 per month or 29% of monthly gross
In 2009 $2,052.21 per month or 35% of monthly gross
  • Mortgage has increased by 21% (as proportion of gross pay) in the last 10 years
Not exactly double. However, some cases may be, although the average isn't.

Another thing not taken into account, in the above...
TAX
In 1999 the average wage earner lost 27% of the gross in tax.
In 2009 the average wage earner lost 21% of the gross in tax.
  • Total Tax take on average wage has decreased by 21% in the last 10 years

Also...
Average House Sizes
A report by BIS Shrapnel has quoted the 1999 floorspace size as 228.1 square metres, and its latest figures are 253.1 square metres.
  • Houses sizes have increased by 11% in the last 10 years

Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Not so say people hate Australia
Some have previously said they do. (including me, at one stage )

Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

woohoo, diamonds getting rough!

interesting detail though....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting it ever was attractive?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Are you suggesting it ever was attractive?
Scary idea isn't it!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Question Re: Is oz as attractive as it was?

Originally Posted by joydot
sometimes i think we all missed the boat and should be looking into places like vietnam, rural china, south america etc. they are where oz was 30 years ago - strange, behind, exotic, cheap...
50 years behind UK then?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Badge,

Thanks a bunch, I do forget that people can be a bit intolerant but i find a broader range of negative stuff on this forum (compared to others) - bracing myself to be told to f@ck off to the other one then! I probably won't now I've said this but hey.

I would put myself firmly in the list of those that enjoy it based on your parameters, can't wait to sip that first ice cold crap beer, get burned within an inch of my life and whine about the supermarkets and officialdom.

You have lifted my day thanks!
Well be careful because the people who come unstuck are often the people who were neutral initially and there's a middle area of people who often end up hating it or loving it - no middle ground after all..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.