Oz

Old May 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz

I met an Aussie yesterday and told him I was off to Oz.

He said I mustn't call it Oz as it's a big no-no.
I found this strange for a country that loves shortening words
It's just habit for me to say Oz now
Have I got to start saying "Australia?"
Old May 5th 2008, 7:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz

Odd... Most I know here refer to it as Oz... no one's ever said anything to me about it...
Old May 5th 2008, 9:14 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
I met an Aussie yesterday and told him I was off to Oz.

He said I mustn't call it Oz as it's a big no-no.
I found this strange for a country that loves shortening words
It's just habit for me to say Oz now
Have I got to start saying "Australia?"
Talking out of his arse methinks!!
Old May 5th 2008, 9:33 pm
Sun, Sea, Sand and.......

Starlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant future

or talking out of his oz..lol.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I must admit that I dont generally see it referred to as such IRL. Aus perhaps is more usual when written and when speaking it usually is Australia. I dont think I have ever written Oz - smacks just a bit too much of the yellow brick road to me.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting. I must admit that I dont generally see it referred to as such IRL. Aus perhaps is more usual when written and when speaking it usually is Australia. I dont think I have ever written Oz - smacks just a bit too much of the yellow brick road to me.
I agree. The only people I know that refer to Australia as 'Oz' are people on here. The media in Australia doesn't refer to the country as 'Oz' (not that I've ever noticed anyway) and neither does anyone I know personally.

It's probably one of those myths about Australia that has grown amongst Brits. Like all Australians are supposed to spend Xmas Day at the beach - the only people who do that are British people mistakenly believing that it's an Aussie tradition .
Old May 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Seeing as they sing Ozzy ozzy ozzy oi oi oi to support their country I think he's talking bolax
Old May 5th 2008, 10:50 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

No, most people don't refer to it as Oz - however, the OP was under the impression that doing so was a big 'no-no'. This isnt the case and she would probably not be slated for referring to it as Oz.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
No, most people don't refer to it as Oz - however, the OP was under the impression that doing so was a big 'no-no'. This isnt the case and she would probably not be slated for referring to it as Oz.
You're right - it's not a 'no-no'.

It's just not as common as people on here might think.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Seeing as they sing Ozzy ozzy ozzy oi oi oi to support their country I think he's talking bolax
That should be Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi!
Old May 5th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
That should be Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi!
I always was a crap speller!!
Old May 5th 2008, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I always was a crap speller!!
Yeah, sorry I meant to put the in there but forgot and couldnt put it in when I went back to edit.
Old May 6th 2008, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know many people who use 'Oz' in conversation. But it is commonly used in company names etc e.g.

OzJet
Ozemail
ee-Oz
OzTrail
OzForex

etc etc etc

So it's hardly a no-no.
Old May 6th 2008, 12:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussie is the more common abridgement but you shouldn't have a problem with Aus.

Spelling-wise Aussie and Aus are more common than Ozzie and Oz but all are used.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I cant think of the last time, outside of this forum, when people referred to Australia as "Oz". As above its used in certain trademarks and brands but not in general reference to the country, except if your pom wishing to alienate yourself just that little bit more I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.