Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:36 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
arkon comes out with "80% of ten year olds have retina damage", and I'm the one stirring?

Look, arkon's posts are renowned for their bizarre statements (not to mention downright untruths, such as "front loaders are frowned on because they save water"; yeah, they're so "frowned on" that the government gives you a rebate if you buy one! ) but this time he's really excelled himself.

I just wonder if he actually believes half the stuff he comes out with.
once again you talk shit Vash. Everyone with half a brain knows that a front loader is better than a top loader and yes just because the govenment knows it too and gives a rebate doesn't automatically flow that the Australian public believe it also. I know of no Australian in my area that has a front loader and those that I have spoke to about it don't believe they are better and are sticking with what they know. So yes I stand by the original statement that front loaders are frowned upon. Simply because from my experiences here they are.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:39 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]
Originally Posted by jad n rich

And i will make a serious attempt not to get drawn in to something that isn't my argument, i dont doubt that its a problem, and a serious one, its just that i cant believe that the figure is that high is all! It just seemed to me that 80% of ALL the 10 year olds in a country is a very high percentage. No more no less.
So just because it's a high figure makes it untrue? How many under 10's do you see wearing sunglasses? I bought my 1 year old some sun glasses and he looks great in them and he keeps them on. When out and about with him there locals all think it's very funny to see a 1 year old wearing shades, why? Because they don't normally see it being done. So I for one based on what I see the kids doing and wearing here tottaly believe the figure.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
80% of ten year-olds in Australia have retina damage? First I've heard of it.

A source for this bizarre statistic would be nice - but seeing as it's arkon, I won't hold my breath.
OK I submit, I have spent some time doing what you usually do and analy trawl the net for data to back up what I heard on the telly. Here is one link after just a few minutes searching..

http://www.optometrists.asn.au/assoc...entre/releases

Highlights are:- in 2004 just 17% of Australian kids had thier eyes tested. 660,000 school aged kids are suffering from an undetected vision problem. Ok so it doesn't say 80% but then exactly how many kids are at school out here? Population 20 odd million and 660,000 kids with a problem. Sounds high to me.

Oh and this one too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1569980.htm

In children aged between 9 and 10, 26 per cent of those had changes on the ultraviolet photography and in the age group between 12 and 15, 81 per cent of them had changes on the ultraviolet photography and this is much earlier than has ever been picked up before," Ju-Lee Ooi, from the University of New South Wales, said.

Make up your own minds. Mine is.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:14 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids have prescription shades...and they get stared at when they wear them....comments like what ye wearing shades for!!!! ehhh doh! so am no blind by the time I am 40
The school had a sponsored beach walk and my two were the only kids out of 200 that had shades on....so the principle took them up infront of the whole school and said that they were the only ones that were suitably kitted out for the walk, and that they should all think about it, if they dont want to go blind. He said that it was shocking that they had come from a cooler/less sunny place and they were more aware of the damaging effects of the sun. Kinda sad really, knowing that the message isnt getting accross. The kids even want me to get shades for the dog, cause they saw him squinting the other day.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

My 4yr old has been begging me to buy him shades as he's always saying "Mummy it's too bright the sun hurts my eyes".

Thanks for the info Arkon I'll go buy my kids some shades.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We all wear sunglasses and have from arriving. I do see other kids in them, but not many.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:35 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Luma
My 4yr old has been begging me to buy him shades as he's always saying "Mummy it's too bright the sun hurts my eyes".

Thanks for the info Arkon I'll go buy my kids some shades.
Thanks, I'm glad someone else believes there is a problem. You child will thank you for it in the future. We bought our 1 year old shades because even though he was in a pram or stroller with a shade on it every time you turned a corner he would get a blast of sun in the face and you could see that it was sore on his eyes by the face he made. I can with total honesty say EVERY person that was walking towards us and saw the baby with shades pointed and laughed or made a comment, some even came over to ask why we were making the baby wear them. We explained the reasons and a few then agreed and said they would buy their child some. To me this isn’t rocket science and you don’t have to look at the sun to be damaged by it, it reflects off everything. Even wearing a wide brimmed hat only reduces the UV on your eyes by 50%.

Back on topic about dogs, we have had to convert a full face harness for one of my dogs and sew some dark thick material over the nose to stop his nose burning as he has no pigment in his nose. It burns within minutes and he just licks off the zinc cream. Once again the dog looks a right prat when wearing it and the locals think it’s highly comical but he needs his nose covered when outdoors. Something else to consider.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:38 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Bloody hell Arkon, where are you??? PLease, please dont say Brisbane ... and I'm truly sorry you are feeling so bad .

Kiz
No it's not Brisbane, They have much larger mozzies and the heat comes with more humidity. I live in rural mid north coast NSW on the *holiday* coast. To me it's actually not really that rural as I'm only about 20k to a major town and another 40 minutes to another. No different in location than say Warwick is from Coventry, Or even Meriden from Birmingham. In fact Meriden is a very good likeness to my current geographic location from everywhere else EXCEPT it's nothing like Meriden, Because when you drive from Meriden to Coventry or Birmingham or even Solihull there is shit loads to do there. Here you can drive the same distance to their big towns and it's like the life is being sucked out of you while your there.

I was 38 when we came here 2 years ago, now I'm about 102.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 8:28 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Hamsters are grumpy, bad tempered and don't do very much at all (until about 2 in the morning when you are woken up by the squeak on the wheel) - and hamster bites hurt like hell! Not imo a good kids pet. Get a pet rat instead much friendlier and easier to handle (we had one that liked eating crisps and drinking beer! )

Tiggs
Yes, rats are ace. I had two when i was younger. They are so friendly, they would sit on my knee whilst i did my homework and sometimes roll a pencil back and forth if they were on my desk. They do eat everything and love chocolate. Having been brought up in a mad house with gerbils, hamsters, rats, dogs (everything). My pet rat was my bestfriend (yes, 'sad' but i was only young). I have to agree rats are far superior to hammies.
Oh and another you can toilet train them! Small plastic tubs for toilet in the corner of their cage - no joke!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:05 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Getting back to dogs .....does anyone know if they have paralysis ticks in WA? or are they just on the Eastern Seaboard. I was told by vets in NSW that they were not in Tassie but they most certainly are! Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by arkon
This is our single bigest regret about coming to Australia. We brought our two dogs in the false belief they would have a better life too. The reality is so far off the mark though. We have snakes on the land, paralysis ticks in the area and heartworm to deal with. It's too hot for them and have to get them shaved twice a year. There is hardly anywhere they are allowed to go for decent walks. Although the individual vets bills seem less than back home, the number of times we have the boys at the vets means the cost for vets here is far higher for us. FLEAS are a massive problem, hardly a month goes by without me having to fumigate the house and dogs. They both have now developed some kind of skin problem with bald spots due to all the scratching.

Then theres the cost and stress of getting them back to the UK when it all goes pear shapped here.

So yes there is a lot to think about if your planning to bring your dogs out here.

I should also mention thunder storms which are much more frequent here and the dogs are scared sh*tless of them.
I brought my beloved golden retreiver from Uk at the age of 8 and also got a dog from a Sydney pound. Also had a big flea problem cos i used to use Frontline like i did in the uk but found it didn't work as well over here so changed to Revolution, i get it from www.pricelesspets.com.au - cheapest place on the net. Then they finally stopped scratching at the hair grew back. Revolution also covers heartworm. I also bought an Oyster shell paddling pool just for the dogs and kept in full all summer and he would just lay in it whenever it got to much for him, and believe me in Hawkesbury it gets over 40 a lot of the time.

Sadly lost my retreiver to cancer three months ago, and yes even though he was terrified every two months or so with all the storms, we used to put him in bed with us to stop him crying!! I wouldn't of come here without him!!!

Good luck with the dogs.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:20 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
I brought my beloved golden retreiver from Uk at the age of 8 and also got a dog from a Sydney pound. Also had a big flea problem cos i used to use Frontline like i did in the uk but found it didn't work as well over here so changed to Revolution, i get it from www.pricelesspets.com.au - cheapest place on the net. Then they finally stopped scratching at the hair grew back. Revolution also covers heartworm. I also bought an Oyster shell paddling pool just for the dogs and kept in full all summer and he would just lay in it whenever it got to much for him, and believe me in Hawkesbury it gets over 40 a lot of the time.

Sadly lost my retreiver to cancer three months ago, and yes even though he was terrified every two months or so with all the storms, we used to put him in bed with us to stop him crying!! I wouldn't of come here without him!!!

Good luck with the dogs.
Thanks, and sorry to hear you've lost your dog, one of ours is nearing the end and we are not looking forwards to it at all. I'll have a look at revolution and see what it's like, but your right about frontline, it definately doesn't work as good out here as back home. I blamed it on the fleas but it could be a different chemical mix instead.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:00 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Originally Posted by arkon
No it's not Brisbane, They have much larger mozzies and the heat comes with more humidity. I live in rural mid north coast NSW on the *holiday* coast. To me it's actually not really that rural as I'm only about 20k to a major town and another 40 minutes to another. No different in location than say Warwick is from Coventry, Or even Meriden from Birmingham. In fact Meriden is a very good likeness to my current geographic location from everywhere else EXCEPT it's nothing like Meriden, Because when you drive from Meriden to Coventry or Birmingham or even Solihull there is shit loads to do there. Here you can drive the same distance to their big towns and it's like the life is being sucked out of you while your there.

I was 38 when we came here 2 years ago, now I'm about 102.
Must admit i'm surprised you are 38 as sometimes you do sound like a depressed cranky old 102 but i'm sure like other poster said once you find somewhere you like you'll get some spring back in your step... .
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to be really careful posting something like this because experiences are very area specific. When people have not lived in Australia and learned for themselves, they can take all this sort of information out of context.

My experience

Yep - agree on the annual jabs plus the heartworm jab, monthly tabs etc.

Where we live there are no ticks except in the high grass areas (meadows). We don't walk the dog in these sorts of areas so it's never an issue.

We have never seen a flea in Australia - have 2 cats as well as a dog (one of the cats roams quite a bit). The only time I put flea treatment on them is before they go to the kennels or cattery.....maybe once a year. I had to treat the cats regularly in the UK.

No cane toads where we are.

Never seen a snake, although I guess there are snakes somewhere. It depends on the type of garden you have though.

Not a problem to leave to dog out after dark. She does sleep inside at night, but that's a choice, not a necessity.

We pay a one off lifetime registration with the council. It is a requirement to have the dog micro-chipped.

As far as I know, dog ownership in Australia is higher than the UK......don't have any source to back that up but I thought I heard it somewhere.

If you have a much loved family pet, do your own homework about the are you are going to, don't leave them behind because of what you THINK you know about dog ownership in Australia.

Rudi

Originally Posted by annqldau
In case you are thinking of owning a dog in Aus it's not always as easy as the UK. After my parents having dogs all my life and 20 yrs of dog ownership myself it's a whole new ball game out here.

Your dog has to have the usual UK yearly injections plus a yearly injection for Heart Worm to stop mozzies injecting a parasite that can get into the dogs heart, there's also a monthly tablet for the same. There are all the usual UK worms as well like roundworm etc..

Then there are the ticks if you live near livestock or bush... ordinary ticks, cattle ticks and paralysis ticks. So far our dog has had two paralysis ticks and survived, you can get a serum that may stop them getting paralysis when they get caught by a paralysis tick but the serum itself can kill them and makes them more suseptible to paralysis tick poisoning for weeks after. After all this they can then just walk out and catch yet another tick. For ticks I use Frontline to control this if possible as the drops are supposed to stop for 2 wks for Paralysis ticks and the spray for 3 wks, there also collars around.

Fleas so far don't seem quite so bad as UK but they are about.

Then there are the cane toads, if they bite a cane toad they can die so you have to wash their mouths out using a special method with water and rush them to a vet with fingers crossed.

Snakes so far, touch wood, our dog has not come across but if he does you can guess the scenario (Twenty-seven species of terrestrial snakes are found in the Brisbane area. These include the carpet python, common tree snake, keelback, yellow-faced whip snake, white-crowned snake, and small-eyed snake. Most common species reported are the carpet python, common tree snake, and yellow-faced whip snake. Australia has some of the world’s most venomous snakes and about two-thirds of these may be found in and around Brisbane. Snakes can be found in almost any suburban backyard and even in the city centre. A number of snakes around the Brisbane area rate very highly on Australia’s “potentially lethal” list. These include the coastal taipan, tiger snake, death adder, rough-scaled snake and eastern brown snake. Of these dangerous snakes, the eastern brown snake is now the only species regularly found in Brisbane suburbs. The others are uncommon or absent in most parts. Eastern brown snakes are reasonably common at the mouth of the Brisbane River and west of Indooroopilly. Red- bellied black snakes have become very rare since the introduction of the cane toad).

Lastly there is night time, you can't leave the dog out in the dark in case the Cane Toads get him or the Pythons if it's a little dog or in case your dog gets the Possums etc. whilst he is out.

Vets are all over the place more popular than UK probably because there are so many things to get your pet. In QLD you have to register your dog yearly and it has to wear a little yellow numbered tag for identification. We have also had our dog chipped although the chips in my area of QLD only track ownership they don't have the dual ownership and thermometer chips yet. if lost your dog goes to the pound same as UK and you pay release fee.

So the gist of this little bit is think twice before buying a dog in Aus and be prepared it's not like having a dog in UK... except the dog is still great company.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rudi
I think you need to be really careful posting something like this because experiences are very area specific. When people have not lived in Australia and learned for themselves, they can take all this sort of information out of context.

My experience

Yep - agree on the annual jabs plus the heartworm jab, monthly tabs etc.

Where we live there are no ticks except in the high grass areas (meadows). We don't walk the dog in these sorts of areas so it's never an issue.

We have never seen a flea in Australia - have 2 cats as well as a dog (one of the cats roams quite a bit). The only time I put flea treatment on them is before they go to the kennels or cattery.....maybe once a year. I had to treat the cats regularly in the UK.

No cane toads where we are.

Never seen a snake, although I guess there are snakes somewhere. It depends on the type of garden you have though.

Not a problem to leave to dog out after dark. She does sleep inside at night, but that's a choice, not a necessity.

We pay a one off lifetime registration with the council. It is a requirement to have the dog micro-chipped.

As far as I know, dog ownership in Australia is higher than the UK......don't have any source to back that up but I thought I heard it somewhere.

If you have a much loved family pet, do your own homework about the are you are going to, don't leave them behind because of what you THINK you know about dog ownership in Australia.

Rudi

Thanks for that, have been reading this thread and almost had a heart attack yesterday thinking of all the things that might kill my dogs and if it was a good idea to take them. But on thinking it over last night realised that as long as my dogs got their yearly vaccination (which they get anyway) and keeping up their tick and flea treatment (which they get anyway) they should be alright. We are thinking of moving to Melbourne if we get the visa, and I'm sure there are plenty of happy dogs living there at the moment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.