Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:58 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Oh all right then, u can give it to me....I'll even pay the stamp duty
Let me think about it.....
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Bloody hell Arkon, where are you??? PLease, please dont say Brisbane ... and I'm truly sorry you are feeling so bad .

Kiz

Originally Posted by arkon
The house and land has been up for sale for nearly a year now and still no luck selling it and that’s after reducing it in price by quite a large amount. I can't seem to even give it away. Believe me when it sells you won't see me for dust. As for all the reasons we left the UK, with hindsight and the benefit of living here for 2 years now. I've come to realise they were all rubbish reasons and mostly not really true. It's also amazing how much greener Australia was made to seem to us before we left and there was NOTHING anyone could have said bad about the place to stop us coming. Some of our misconceptions were:-

The heat, No problem its only for a couple of months a year. WRONG it is unbearable to go outside for between 4 and 6 months of the year. Exactly how much of the year in the UK is it unbearable to either go outside or work outside?

The Flies, No problem its only for a couple of weeks a year. WRONG it's for a good 3 or 4 months and all the swatting and being careful not to leave doors open does no good what so ever and plastering yourself in chemicals seems to do nothing more than make you unattractive to the opposite sex.

The mossies, No problem you just don't go out at dusk and dawn. WRONG there is no dusk or dawn, the sun falls from the sky faster than a whore drops her knickers. and as for dawn who want to be up at that early anyway. The only moderately mozzie free time of day is for about 5 hours a day and still you get bitten.

The poor shopping and choice, No problem as I don't like shopping anyway. WRONG sometimes you have to buy things and it would be nice to be able to buy them without hassle and have them last more than a few days before having to take them back.

A better place to raise children, WRONG, the education is substandard and there are more things to do them harm here than there ever was back home. 80% of 10 year olds have retina damage and I couldn't even guess at what damage the sun does to their skin. Then there is the huge rate of teenage suicide and depression. Then what future do they really have? I don’t feel I’ve done my boy any favours by being here where any future career is involved.

I could go on but it just depresses me to think that when all my friends back home were trying to talk me out of coming here by highlighting all the negatives I just ignored them and was convinced I could live with all the little negative niggles. How wrong I was.

Anyway thanks again everyone for your support and believe me we are trying as hard as we can to buy our way out of the mess we got ourselves into.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

80% of ten year-olds in Australia have retina damage? First I've heard of it.

A source for this bizarre statistic would be nice - but seeing as it's arkon, I won't hold my breath.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
80% of ten year-olds in Australia have retina damage? First I've heard of it.

A source for this bizarre statistic would be nice - but seeing as it's arkon, I won't hold my breath.

Vash -there's really no need to sh*t stir!! Naughty vashy, now bend over so i can spank your botty.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Vash -there's really no need to sh*t stir!! Naughty vashy, now bend over so i can spank your botty.
arkon comes out with "80% of ten year olds have retina damage", and I'm the one stirring?

Look, arkon's posts are renowned for their bizarre statements (not to mention downright untruths, such as "front loaders are frowned on because they save water"; yeah, they're so "frowned on" that the government gives you a rebate if you buy one! ) but this time he's really excelled himself.

I just wonder if he actually believes half the stuff he comes out with.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

arkon comes out with "80% of ten year olds have retina damage", and I'm the one stirring?

Look, arkon's posts are renowned for their bizarre statements (not to mention downright untruths, such as "front loaders are frowned on because they save water"; yeah, they're so "frowned on" that the government gives you a rebate if you buy one! ) but this time he's really excelled himself.

I just wonder if he actually believes half the stuff he comes out with.
He is probably talking about Solar retinopathy. It is usually brought about by staring at the sun too much! But that would effectively render 80% of all Aussie 10 year olds partially blind! Wouldn't the Government have done some thing about it by now?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Look, arkon's posts are renowned for their bizarre statements (not to mention downright untruths, such as
Classic vash, bit like pot calling the kettle black I think.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
He is probably talking about Solar retinopathy. It is usually brought about by staring at the sun too much! But that would effectively render 80% of all Aussie 10 year olds partially blind! Wouldn't the Government have done some thing about it by now?
Retina damage is very high in australia, vash has disputed this before so there is a thread on it somewhere.

Best bit of advice and one now on most sun safety websites, is to get kids and adults to wear proper protective sunglasses. Even the old aussie slogan for sun safety has been changed to slip slop slap and wrap, as in sunglasses. Some schools are now considering sunglasses as compulsory too.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:34 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Retina damage is very high in australia, vash has disputed this before so there is a thread on it somewhere.

Best bit of advice and one now on most sun safety websites, is to get kids and adults to wear proper protective sunglasses. Even the old aussie slogan for sun safety has been changed to slip slop slap and wrap, as in sunglasses. Some schools are now considering sunglasses as compulsory too.

I dont dispute that it would be high, it makes sense that it would be, but 80% is a massive figure dont you think?

Its like that old urban legend that 1 in 5 guys can blow themselves! Really?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:37 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Its like that old urban legend that 1 in 5 guys can blow themselves! Really?
Guess you're one of the other 4 then...!

Rod
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:44 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by rodders39
Guess you're one of the other 4 then...!

Rod

Believe me! If i was i wouldn't be on this forum!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:48 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me! If i was i wouldn't be on this forum!
Sorry mate...! Couldn't resist...!

Rod
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]I dont dispute that it would be high, it makes sense that it would be, but 80% is a massive figure dont you think?

(/QUOTE]

I made a deliberate attempt to answer the question without getting involved in % arguments because it is a very serious problem here and medical waiting lists (7 years in some places) reflect that.

More important that people are made aware it is a serious problem and one that the government is trying to educate people on, simple measures like protective glasses.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 10:00 pm
Straw Man.

[QUOTE=jad n rich]
I dont dispute that it would be high, it makes sense that it would be, but 80% is a massive figure dont you think?

(/QUOTE]

I made a deliberate attempt to answer the question without getting involved in % arguments because it is a very serious problem here and medical waiting lists (7 years in some places) reflect that.

More important that people are made aware it is a serious problem and one that the government is trying to educate people on, simple measures like protective glasses.

And i will make a serious attempt not to get drawn in to something that isn't my argument, i dont doubt that its a problem, and a serious one, its just that i cant believe that the figure is that high is all! It just seemed to me that 80% of ALL the 10 year olds in a country is a very high percentage. No more no less.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:33 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only repeating what I heard on the news a month or so ago. I'm not lying, I can't supply an anal link to the stat to confirm it as it was on the telly. It didn't say they were all blind but all had mild damage and so not 100%. Just because people don't like it when I pass on the stuff I hear and experience doesn't mean it's not true just because I can't be arsed to do an internet trawl and post a link.

FWIW my eyes have deteriorated in the 2 years I've been here and I wear sunglasses 90% of the time. The guy I bought the farm from was nearly blind and so are most of the neighbours. NONE of them wear sunglasses.

Basically believe what you all like, I know I believe it because I see the evidence for myself. Feel free to stick your (not you rugbymatt) heads in the sand if it makes you all feel better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.