Owner Builder?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Owner Builder?

Just thought I would post a link to this company who my Mum has used to build a house here in Bendigo. Its available in Vic, NSW, Qld, Tas and WA.

She has used the stage 1 only of this system so we can only recommend that bit from experience. The stage 2 is where they help with the finance.

She has built a 20 sqr, 4 bedroom home for $140,000 in around 5 months.

I just thought if people were looking at building, it might be an option to consider along side the other options available.

Hope it helps,

Hels
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owner Builder?

Originally Posted by Hels
Just thought I would post a link to this company who my Mum has used to build a house here in Bendigo. Its available in Vic, NSW, Qld, Tas and WA.

She has used the stage 1 only of this system so we can only recommend that bit from experience. The stage 2 is where they help with the finance.

She has built a 20 sqr, 4 bedroom home for $140,000 in around 5 months.

I just thought if people were looking at building, it might be an option to consider along side the other options available.

Hope it helps,

Hels
Thats just what I'm looking for thanks. Did she have the company build it too or did she arrange that privately and did that cost include everything to finish.

Jo
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by joho
Thats just what I'm looking for thanks. Did she have the company build it too or did she arrange that privately and did that cost include everything to finish.

Jo

Hi Jo,

This system is for you to owner/build (Project Manage) your own house. So you source the tradies and materials etc and then have the house built. What you pay for is their knowledge of how the build should progress etc. They step you through it. So really the house can cost as much or as little as you can source things for.

The $140k was for the entire house to completion, not including land. If you look at alot of the Project builders and compare what you can pay for one of their 20sqr houses for, not to mention the restrictions on the fittings/colours etc....you will be surprised I think.

Hope this helps

Hels
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be careful - owner-builders take on the responsibility of warranting the house for I believe seven years.

If you sell it during the warranty period you could be sued by the buyers for any defects.

Last edited by Wol; Apr 26th 2006 at 9:36 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
You need to be careful - owner-builders take on the responsibility of warranting the house for I believe seven years.

If you sell it during the warranty period you could be sued by the buyers for any defects.

There is an insurance you can take out, and most do, that covers the house after you sell it for the remaining of the 7 years.

We are building as a long term investment and once built, using it as a rental.

Last edited by Hels; Apr 26th 2006 at 11:09 am. Reason: to add a , where it needed to be....
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:43 am
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

There is an insurance you can take out, and most do, that covers the house after you sell it for the remaining of the 7 years.

We are building as a long term investment and once built, using it as a rental.
Cheers for this - interesting - I was wondering about schemes like this a while back.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by crawling
Cheers for this - interesting - I was wondering about schemes like this a while back.

No problems....

We are putting an offer in on some land tomorrow and if it all goes ahead, happy to give a running account of our first Owner/Builder experience if people are interested.

H
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:34 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I wuldnt mind listening to everything you have to say, I have also thought about going down this route.

Keep us updated

No problems....

We are putting an offer in on some land tomorrow and if it all goes ahead, happy to give a running account of our first Owner/Builder experience if people are interested.

H
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I wuldnt mind listening to everything you have to say, I have also thought about going down this route.

Keep us updated

No probs.

So far, we have found some land we liked the look of. We called up the agent and asked if a soil test had been done yet. It had, but it was a P rating, which by all accounts wasnt the best scenario. P rating means there is a Problem. In our case it is that there is between 800mm & 1500mm of fill on the surface of the land which will impact the cost of our slab. I have called up the company my Mum used to do her slab and they have given me a rough quote to how much extra the slab would be. I will use this to try and get the cost of the land lowered. Will be putting in the offer tomorrow morning.

I have also contacted the bank we have our mortgage with to find out if we can borrow enough to do the project and also if the money we need to build the house can be borrowed on a 'line of credit' basis. That way we get a cheque book and can pay as we go instead of in stages like you do with a Project builder. My Mum said its the easiest way to do it and gives bargaining power to the tradies as they get paid quickly, and some will do cash work for you to keep the costs down.

Last edited by Hels; Apr 26th 2006 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 7:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Owner Builder?

No probs.

So far, we have found some land we liked the look of. We called up the agent and asked if a soil test had been done yet. It had, but it was a P rating, which by all accounts wasnt the best scenario. P rating means there is a Problem. In our case it is that there is between 800mm & 1500mm of fill on the surface of the land which will impact the cost of our slab. I have called up the company my Mum used to do her slab and they have given me a rough quote to how much extra the slab would be. I will use this to try and get the cost of the land lowered. Will be putting in the offer tomorrow morning.

I have also contacted the bank we have our mortgage with to find out if we can borrow enough to do the project and also if the money we need to build the house can be borrowed on a 'line of credit' basis. That way we get a cheque book and can pay as we go instead of in stages like you do with a Project builder. My Mum said its the easiest way to do it and gives bargaining power to the tradies as they get paid quickly, and some will do cash work for you to keep the costs down.
Good luck with it all Hels!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:25 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Cheers for the detail - I'll be interested to follow your progress
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Well......Hubby and I are now the proud owners of a patch of dirt!!

Just agreed a price, got it for $63k down from $67k.

So now the fun begins!!!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So now the fun begins!!!
Who were the agents, I'll give them a ring and tell them you would have gone higher
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So now the fun begins!!!
Good news! Now we're all in the small-patch-of -Oz together!

We are in the middle of the council battle at present; apparently Wingecarribbee council has the highest legal bills in NSW because of their ridiculous building policies!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Hels]No probs.

So far, we have found some land we liked the look of. We called up the agent and asked if a soil test had been done yet. It had, but it was a P rating, which by all accounts wasnt the best scenario. P rating means there is a Problem. In our case it is that there is between 800mm & 1500mm of fill on the surface of the land which will impact the cost of our slab.QUOTE]

If there is that much fill you may find over time that the house may not have moved due to the footing design, but your fencing, paving, etc may.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.