Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed - need some advice

Overwhelmed - need some advice

Old Jul 20th 2016, 9:47 am
Just Joined

bwhittaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overwhelmed - need some advice

Hi All

First let me appologise for lack of knowledge regarding the areas im going to talk about but thats precisly why i decided to make this post

To Give some background

Me: 29 - Application support manager (help desk manager)

Her 27 - Part qualified Managment accountant (2/3 parts completed)

Between us both we earn close to £100k a year as of right now (just to give an idea of current lifestyle)

So we have been looking into moving over to Aus for a while and we frist looked at the Skilled VISA entry. Unfortunatly that did not end well since apparently my job role is not skilled and hers ios not skilled until she is fully qualified - which is fine we have no quarel with this

Due to this we are looking to sell up everything and head over for a year and see if we can get set-up and sponsered. We will probably be coming over with about £12k to allow us to rent for a while and find any job avaliable.

Now my question

We are obviously overwhelemed with the areas to live in. Researching around Perth seems isolated while Sydney and Melbourne seem over the top expensive. The most attractve place i have found right now is Canberra and maybe the smaller areas round and about NSW.

My issue is that im worried about my line of work and IT economic centres. (managment accountant shouldnt be an issue anywhere) For example London and the surrounding areas are really the only place to get good IT/ Helpdesk roles. Im worried this translates to Aus as well that most roles will be in Sydney/Mel.

Is there economic differences between citys regarding what type of work is needed where? i cant find any solid information.

And Finally we are obviously lookign to find an area that is nice to raise a family - this being the most important point . So obviously the hussle bustle of the city is really nto great. Want to find somewhere with great schools and social atmosphere

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed - need some advice

Originally Posted by bwhittaker
Hi All

First let me appologise for lack of knowledge regarding the areas im going to talk about but thats precisly why i decided to make this post

To Give some background

Me: 29 - Application support manager (help desk manager)

Her 27 - Part qualified Managment accountant (2/3 parts completed)

Between us both we earn close to £100k a year as of right now (just to give an idea of current lifestyle)

So we have been looking into moving over to Aus for a while and we frist looked at the Skilled VISA entry. Unfortunatly that did not end well since apparently my job role is not skilled and hers ios not skilled until she is fully qualified - which is fine we have no quarel with this

Due to this we are looking to sell up everything and head over for a year and see if we can get set-up and sponsered. We will probably be coming over with about £12k to allow us to rent for a while and find any job avaliable.

Now my question

We are obviously overwhelemed with the areas to live in. Researching around Perth seems isolated while Sydney and Melbourne seem over the top expensive. The most attractve place i have found right now is Canberra and maybe the smaller areas round and about NSW.

My issue is that im worried about my line of work and IT economic centres. (managment accountant shouldnt be an issue anywhere) For example London and the surrounding areas are really the only place to get good IT/ Helpdesk roles. Im worried this translates to Aus as well that most roles will be in Sydney/Mel.

Is there economic differences between citys regarding what type of work is needed where? i cant find any solid information.

And Finally we are obviously lookign to find an area that is nice to raise a family - this being the most important point . So obviously the hussle bustle of the city is really nto great. Want to find somewhere with great schools and social atmosphere

Thanks
Unfortunately, without an occupation on the skills list you will not be able to be sponsored.

A Working Holiday visa is just that - an extended holiday funded in part by being able to work whilst here.

If you are happy to come and visit Australia, have the experience and head home afterwards then that is fine, but if your long term goal is to be able to move permanently then maybe you should focus on getting the skills and qualifications needed to be able to able for a skilled visa
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If you ever find that place, including doing it visa free, let me know.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Unfortunately, without an occupation on the skills list you will not be able to be sponsored.

A Working Holiday visa is just that - an extended holiday funded in part by being able to work whilst here.

If you are happy to come and visit Australia, have the experience and head home afterwards then that is fine, but if your long term goal is to be able to move permanently then maybe you should focus on getting the skills and qualifications needed to be able to able for a skilled visa
Thanks for the information

My Query regarding this would be that this is obviously a misunderstanding on my part. But if i had the skills then i would not need to be sponsered as i could straight up just get the skilled VISA.

My knowledge of the situation was that should you not be able to get that skilled VISA then your only option was to be sponsered.

I dont see how they can be the same?

Obviously i just want to clarify that im taking what your saying on board im just trying to understand the difference
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:04 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Your occupation still need to be in demand, on CSOL list at least, to be able to be sponsored. If your understanding was correct, then every bartender and floor sweeper would be able to migrate to Oz. No occupation on the list, no possibility for sponsorship I'm afraid.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teza
Your occupation still need to be in demand, on CSOL list at least, to be able to be sponsored. If your understanding was correct, then every bartender and floor sweeper would be able to migrate to Oz. No occupation on the list, no possibility for sponsorship I'm afraid.

Of course - thats exactly what meant, you phrased it much better . So should we get a job in one of the occupation list we have a chance of being sponsered. I.E. her managment acocuntacy role.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Of course - thats exactly what meant, you phrased it much better . So should we get a job in one of the occupation list we have a chance of being sponsered. I.E. her managment acocuntacy role.

Thanks
Hi - others will be able to give you more information on the likelihood of being sponsored in a management accountant role while on a 417 work/holiday visa, I just wanted to say bear in mind that you need to be 30 or under when you apply for the 417. You'll both need one.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:29 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I'm sure Bermudashorts will come along soon to share her wisdom about accountant jobs , roles and qualifications but given that she isn't even qualified yet, why would she be hired, let alone sponsored, for a management role?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

I'm sure Bermudashorts will come along soon to share her wisdom about accountant jobs , roles and qualifications but given that she isn't even qualified yet, why would she be hired, let alone sponsored, for a management role?
Multitudes of managment accountants are part qualified - the qualification in itself is generally paid for by businesses and is in no way the same as a general qualification i.e. CCNA, MSE etc - she has been working as a managment accountant for 4+ years. Run a job search on reed etc msot 40k+ jobs will say you can be part qualified

while i appreciate your feedback its not black and white atleast over in the UK regarding accounting
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Multitudes of managment accountants are part qualified - the qualification in itself is generally paid for by businesses and is in no way the same as a general qualification i.e. CCNA, MSE etc - she has been working as a managment accountant for 4+ years. Run a job search on reed etc msot 40k+ jobs will say you can be part qualified

while i appreciate your feedback its not black and white atleast over in the UK regarding accounting
Whilst it may work that way in general, I'm not sure that when it comes to being sponsored you will be able to convince DIBP that you would have the skills to do the job which you would still need to do even if you don't have to have a full skills assessment.

Another consideration is that a sponsored visa is only temporary. If at any time whilst sponsored you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another employer willing and able to sponsor you or leave the country.

Again, if this is the long term goal then the best option is to complete the required qualifications and aim for a permanent visa

(and it is visa. VISA would be a credit card)
Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the case in UK you might be better staying then. Accountants are quite well oversubscribed in Australia and one who isn't fully qualified would struggle against a load of Aussie accountants who are. It's unlikely that a company could actually justify sponsoring a foreigner when there are going to be plenty of home grown possibilities (and that is what they have to do)

Sounds like you both need to get some qualifications under your belt which will give you an avenue into a permanent resident visa - you could waste a year or two in the interim if that is what takes your fancy - I make the assumption that you don't yet have a family because if you do, then the WHV is off the table anyway.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... given that she isn't even qualified yet, why would she be hired, let alone sponsored, for a management role?
You misunderstand, "management accounting" is a sub-specialty of accounting.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
If that is the case in UK you might be better staying then. Accountants are quite well oversubscribed in Australia and one who isn't fully qualified would struggle against a load of Aussie accountants who are. It's unlikely that a company could actually justify sponsoring a foreigner when there are going to be plenty of home grown possibilities (and that is what they have to do)

Sounds like you both need to get some qualifications under your belt which will give you an avenue into a permanent resident visa - you could waste a year or two in the interim if that is what takes your fancy - I make the assumption that you don't yet have a family because if you do, then the WHV is off the table anyway.

This discussion has gone way into the realm in the previous 3 or 4 posts from people who actually have no idea how accountancy qualifications work or how they are gained. (sparkles post was useful)

She is a qualified accountant

she is not a qualified MANAGMENT accountant that requires a CIMA qualification....

none of my questions have been answered rather ive just been told where nto good enough - which is fine im not angry nore am i disagreeing

however my initial questions would be highly useful to me

1. any areas that are more focused on IT than rather lets sayt manufacture and mining (im looking at you Perth)

2. any nice places 1 hourish drive from a large (said above) city?

thanks
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This discussion has gone way into the realm in the previous 3 or 4 posts from people who actually have no idea how accountancy qualifications work or how they are gained. (sparkles post was useful)

she is not a qualified MANAGMENT accountant that requires a CIMA qualification....

none of my questions have been answered rather ive just been told where nto good enough - which is fine im not angry nore am i disagreeing

1. any areas that are more focused on IT than rather lets sayt manufacture and mining (im looking at you Perth)

thanks
It's not a question of 'not being good enough', for heaven's sake. You're thinking of a huge, expensive move and people are just trying to help. If you take the chip off your shoulder, you're likely to get more replies.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
My Australian wife is a CPA.

I'm tefloning this one the BS as she is eminently qualified to give the low down on this from the perspective of both countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.