Reload this Page >

overseas students employment prospects

overseas students employment prospects

Old May 22nd 2006, 1:06 am
Just Joined

aleksk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default overseas students employment prospects

Hello,

I am not a British citizen, but this seems like a nice and friendly forum with lots of information.

After I have done some research I feel like I need some more information, so any feedback would be valuable.

I am about to start two-year accounting studies at Flinders University in Adelaide in July(my second bachelor degree, the first one I acquired
in a related field in my home country) and hope to apply for permanent residence after I graduate. I do not have any specific working
experience.

I would like to ask for any first-hand experiences, information, or
studies (research) on employment prospects of overseas graduates in
Australia, especially in the field of accounting, since I can hardly
find any valuable info on my own. I am really interested in the
prospects of finding an entry-level position in the profession after I
graduate, and not end-up working as a janitor, gardener or something else
(with all due respect to janitors and gardeners, but I already invested too
much time and effort in my education). If I estimate that my chances
for a career are not so good, I do have other career alternatives in my
life (and quite promising ones) which are not associated with
Australia. Are Australian employers generally reluctant to hire
overseas graduates (especially accountants), even though the profession
is on the high-demand list? Is there research (statistics) maybe that
points out to how overseas graduates actually end up six months or a
year after they finish school?

And what about the new announced changes in the immigration policy, how will that
impact overseas students( especially the current work-experience
exemption, which I understand will no longer be valid)?

I perfectly understand that there are risks associated with every big
decision, but are the stakes too high here? Anyone with similar thoughts and fears?
Thanks for keeping up with me,
Alex
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overseas students employment prospects

Hi Alex,

The changes that have been proposed will allow graduates to remain in Australia for a specific time period to gain relevent work experience. The other issue highlighted recently was graduates english language ability - so if you are english speaking or highly proficient you may find employment easier.

Also, a lot of accounting students I know work part-time during their studies and are often offered positions based on this work.

Good luck.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:12 am
Just Joined

aleksk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: overseas students employment prospects

Originally Posted by tking
Hi Alex,

The changes that have been proposed will allow graduates to remain in Australia for a specific time period to gain relevent work experience. The other issue highlighted recently was graduates english language ability - so if you are english speaking or highly proficient you may find employment easier.

Also, a lot of accounting students I know work part-time during their studies and are often offered positions based on this work.

Good luck.

Thanks. Part-time work is actually a very good way to acquire some experience and prove your qualities.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:45 pm
Banned

connaust is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: overseas students employment prospects

Hi there,

Accounting is a MODL so after two years you can apply for PR. During study you can work part time and full time during vacation. I would suggest that you keep an open mind at first and be prepared to work in hospitality lots of work, money ok, good way of meeting people....then look at accounting related opportunities, at minimum organise an unpaid internship in accounting to get some expereince before graduation. Cheers Andrew