Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OVER $100,000 p/a?

View Poll Results: Do you earn over the magic $100K ?
Yes i do earn over $100K
48.28%
No i don't earn over $100K
51.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

OVER $100,000 p/a?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default OVER $100,000 p/a?

In the $950 Rudd handout thread alot of people were commenting that they were earning over $100,000 a year so would not benefit from the handout and were claiming that $100K didn't go far,and still struggled.

I'm a project engineer and don't earn over the magic $100K and manage to get by OK without my wife working.

Just out of interest i've posted a poll.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER $100,000 p/a?

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
In the $950 Rudd handout thread alot of people were commenting that they were earning over $100,000 a year so would not benefit from the handout and were claiming that $100K didn't go far,and still struggled.

I'm a project engineer and don't earn over the magic $100K and manage to get by OK without my wife working.

Just out of interest i've posted a poll.
I don't earn a bean but I am answered on behalf of our household. My husband is a contract Structural Designer/CAD Administrator and earns over $100k.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how much temping work I get really.

Last tax year we didn't earn anything close to that, but I only worked a few month. This tax year, probably not as I have had about 3 months without work and my OH hasn't done any overtime. Next tax year it's a possibility.

After saying that though, my wages go straight into the mortgage account or pay for luxury items that we otherwise wouldn't bother getting.

I think most people on here are pretty lucky, there's hundred and thousands of people in Australia on a lot less than $100k, or even $50k who manage, because at the end of the day you have to cut your cloth accordingly
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:51 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think most people on here are pretty lucky, there's hundred and thousands of people in Australia on a lot less than $100k, or even $50k who manage, because at the end of the day you have to cut your cloth accordingly
I agree. The average Australian wage is apparently $58,874. The lowest wages are found in the accommodation, restaurant and cafe sector where full-time workers earn just A$43,201 on average. (http://www.livingin-australia.com/wa...-australia.htm)

Cutting cloth accordingly is indeed something we need to do - as should the Government.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I've decided not to work in Australia for my last 3 months.So I earn nothing here.
I've decide to claim rent assistance in order to take as much back as I can .I have worked since coming here and since I will not be returning I would not be happy continuing to contribute as already have.
I was amazed at the capital disregard.

I like to get value for money
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't earn anything. The Geek earns over $100k.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I don't work but have answered your poll on my DH's/our household's behalf.

He does something Engineering-y and earns over $100k.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Single income family, 2 kids, hubby earns $100k. Seem to have more disposable income here than the £67k he was earning in the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

I will be soon, thank God. I don't know how long the contract will last though.

I do Electrical Engineering.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:16 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevin747
I've decided not to work in Australia for my last 3 months.So I earn nothing here.
I've decide to claim rent assistance in order to take as much back as I can .I have worked since coming here and since I will not be returning I would not be happy continuing to contribute as already have.
I was amazed at the capital disregard.

I like to get value for money
are you serious? you should go live in wales, you would do really well. That pic posted on another thread really does sum you up - shameless
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
are you serious? you should go live in wales, you would do really well. That pic posted on another thread really does sum you up - shameless
I don't have to live in Wales I have property in Scotland.I have never been unemployed in my life apart from my student days.
I started working one week after I arrived in Australia.I'm leaving soon so I quit working before Xmas and I am enjoying a holiday. My wife and I have paid a fair slice of tax in that 1 year almost exactly. I don't claim dole and have converted the dollars back GBP's.

Since I do not wish to live here and will have no remaining financial investments in Australia(apart from the Super we have paid) I am taking rent as recompense for the tax I have paid as is my entitlement.
Australia will have made a net gain from my 15 month visit.My 3 months holiday will involve eating,drinking and merriment and presumably stimulating the ailing service sector here.
It is almost time for a beer at the pub.

Think before you type next time
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:38 am

It was tongue in cheek. I meant not many people would post that in the way it read.

It was very obvious that you worked.

Sounds like a good couple of months to me.

Would have thought a tax rebate would have been easier though and in order, both for last tax year and for this. Obviously you would have paid tax, but thats the same in every country - same as you use roads etc when you are here. You never pay just for your usage, that goes without saying

Viv
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by viviennef
It was tongue in cheek. I meant not many people would post that in the way it read.

It was very obvious that you worked.

Sounds like a good couple of months to me.

Would have thought a tax rebate would have been easier though and in order, both for last tax year and for this. Obviously you would have paid tax, but thats the same in every country - same as you use roads etc when you are here. You never pay just for your usage, that goes without saying

Viv
No problem. I have submitted out tax forms.
This is an interesting point though. It seems that capital assets are disregarded here when applying for rent assistance here.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:11 am

I have a couple of houses in wales (that parents live in - ex council houses) but I kind of forgot them when I arrived.

And I mean I did forget, I just never really thought of them as anything to do with me personally. But when I think of it, they are not in my name exactly either so I guess they dont count.

I had rent assistance when we first moved up here.

Vivienne
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I voted yes on behalf of my husband. Single income family, husband makes 100k+, with 2 little kids (1 at home, 1 just started Prep).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.