Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our stuff has gone!!

Our stuff has gone!!

Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Our stuff has gone!!

Hi everyone just thought I'd post this to try and make it seem more real. Crown came yesterday and packed all our stuff Someone pinch me.....is this really happening?

My house feels like a holiday home now, as we are living with bare essentials until we go.

A word of warning to all people waiting to get packed up, if its not nailed down they will pack it!!! They have packed my friends wedding card and gift vouchers, and my little boys money boxes complete with loads of coins (english money). Guess I won't get that changed up in Oz

But apart from that they were absolutely fantastic. We've got a month to wait now to follow our worldly goods to the other side of the world. Can't wait, I feel like I'm in some sort of dream!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:55 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our stuff has gone!!

Bastards !!! Have you phoned the police ?

Good luck, and enjoy your life here
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Kerry, it really is getting close now!!!
When do you fly out to Tas?
Sammy
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Good luck, Kerry, it really is getting close now!!!
When do you fly out to Tas?
Sammy
Thank you Sammy

We will (hopefully) exchanging contracts on our house next week then we are giving the buyers a 4 week completion date just to give us a chance to sell our furniture. Then is bye bye England then Hello Singapore then hello Aus!

Time just seems to be running away now. I have to say I am packing it slightly (in the nicest possible way)
Old Aug 18th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Thank you Sammy

We will (hopefully) exchanging contracts on our house next week then we are giving the buyers a 4 week completion date just to give us a chance to sell our furniture. Then is bye bye England then Hello Singapore then hello Aus!

Time just seems to be running away now. I have to say I am packing it slightly (in the nicest possible way)
God, just the thought of reaching your stage absolutely terrifies me
But we have plenty of hurdles yet, OH has skills assessment exam in 3 weeks, then all being well, we can apply for visa in October, then the long wait - then I can start worrying about selling the house, jobs,packing (see, it makes me feel sick just thinking about it!)
Good luck for next few weeks.
Sammy
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sammy T
God, just the thought of reaching your stage absolutely terrifies me
But we have plenty of hurdles yet, OH has skills assessment exam in 3 weeks, then all being well, we can apply for visa in October, then the long wait - then I can start worrying about selling the house, jobs,packing (see, it makes me feel sick just thinking about it!)
Good luck for next few weeks.
Sammy
Good luck with the skills assessment!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:08 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Keeping my fingers crossed that your house sale goes through! You are very brave to have your stuff shipped out before exchange of contracts.

Gina
Old Aug 19th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

jen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nice

i will agree with nail things down we were renting and the shippers took the rug which wasnt ours shame it wasnt a nice one still it was a bit embarrasing telling the landlord lol our furnture went wednesday definately hits home that your on your way when the house is empty good luck to all
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Jolly Janner is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Kezza.

I arrive in Hobart on 2nd October.

Scary times.

Cheers,
JJ
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
What have you sent. I am unsure of what to take and what to sell.

Are we better to take as much or as little as possible.

What is expensive to buy over there and what is reasonable.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Sharon
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi,
What have you sent. I am unsure of what to take and what to sell.

Are we better to take as much or as little as possible.

What is expensive to buy over there and what is reasonable.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Sharon
We took photo's, toys, some clothes, all good crockery, bakeware, good cutlery set, plastic Tamiya model kits, Bed linen,duvets, pillows, towels, pictures, computer and desk, baby changing unit, cot, table cloths, radio control car and boat, mountain bike, tent, tools, X box, dining table and chairs, dvds, cd's, Lp's and some other bits and bobs that we thought would be useful.

We did loads of research as to what to take and what not to take.....and to be honest you can do it till your blue in the face and still change your mind when the shippers arrive! We decided to take useful stuff and buy all furniture when we get there. I've been told not to bother with white goods as the fridge/freezers would struggle with the heat (although not sure that applies to Tas, as its much cooler there). Our washing machine is very old and our cooker is gas and most places in Tas only have electric. I was gonna take my condensor dryer as its only 1 year old, but then I found out they don't have Hotpoint in Tas, so if it broke down I wouldn't be able to get Hotpoint parts (which it did recently!). Our 3 peice suit is 10 years old so that was a no no. We have a big chunky tele, so its a good excuse to buy a nice plasma when we get there.

Sorry if I've bored you with my big list! But I know what its like to decide what to take and what not to. You just need to think to yourself ' would I like a new one? or take the one I have?' and asoyou have to think about the extra costs when you get there buying this and that, Its the little things that you will be constantly paying out for and eating up your budget. In our case we will be buying big furniture items and thats it. Every ones circumstances are different so you just have to do whats best for yourselves and not read too much into what other people are doing.

Hope thats helped you out a bit!

Kerry