Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our stuff arrived today from the uk!

our stuff arrived today from the uk!

Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default our stuff arrived today from the uk!

hi everyone,
our stuff arrived today at last! Went with PSS.
Had a marker pen wrapped up in 4 sheets of wrapping paper, but our expensive dinner plates were wrapped in 1! All broken , wheres the logic in that! Thank god the marker pens ok
Also 1 handle bar grip on my mountain bike is missing, how did that happen, they are bloody hard to get off!
how strange!

We have learnt a couple of valuable lessons, a little to late though. Firstly, Half the stuff you bring is crap that you really don't need. I really did not need the breadmaker, face steamer, or triple wardrobe!! Why ship it from one side of the world to the other when we didn't use it in the uk. (in case you didn't realise it seems that most houses in Australia have built in wardrobes!)
Secondly, the packers use a lot of packing. We personally now have 3 acres of reconstituted rain forest in our spare room. Not very environmentally friendly. Although we are glad some of our stuff was packed well, it would have taken half the room, and costed half the price if we had packed it ourselves. mountain bike toes clips do not need to be quadruple wrapped!

On the whole we are pleased with the service, although some of our stuff is a little damaged (we have small chunks taken out of a couple of wooden furniture items). However if we had packed ourselves and taken less junk we could have saved a substantial amount.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:25 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: our stuff arrived today from the uk!

Originally Posted by igual
hi everyone,
Had a marker pen wrapped up in 4 sheets of wrapping paper, but our expensive dinner plates were wrapped in 1! All broken , wheres the logic in that! Thank god the marker pens ok
Also 1 handle bar grip on my mountain bike is missing, how did that happen, they are bloody hard to get off!
how strange!

We have learnt a couple of valuable lessons, a little to late though. Firstly, Half the stuff you bring is crap that you really don't need. I really did not need the breadmaker, face steamer, or triple wardrobe!! Why ship it from one side of the world to the other when we didn't use it in the uk. (in case you didn't realise it seems that most houses in Australia have built in wardrobes!)
Secondly, the packers use a lot of packing. We personally now have 3 acres of reconstituted rain forest in our spare room. Not very environmentally friendly. Although we are glad some of our stuff was packed well, it would have taken half the room, and costed half the price if we had packed it ourselves. mountain bike toes clips do not need to be quadruple wrapped!

On the whole we are pleased with the service, although some of our stuff is a little damaged (we have small chunks taken out of a couple of wooden furniture items). However if we had packed ourselves and taken less junk we could have saved a substantial amount.
hey u should be glad u packed the breadmaker. i saw your cooking skills on sunday
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:26 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,
how strange!

congrats..

how long did the journey take? we have the packers in in a couple of weeks (4/12) but we dont get to Brisbane until 8/1.. so hopefully our stuff will only be a couple of weeks behind us. (fingers crossed)
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

ummmm, may have to agree with you soapy! Fi said my sausage was a bit rancid!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sloake
congrats..

how long did the journey take? we have the packers in in a couple of weeks (4/12) but we dont get to Brisbane until 8/1.. so hopefully our stuff will only be a couple of weeks behind us. (fingers crossed)
Hi Sloake,
We left end of August, so it took about 10 weeks, not bad really! Good luck with your move
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

now that is funny, cos it was a prawn u cooked
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi fiona

due to the fact that the only decent things i own is my barker and stone house leather 2 seater and my new hoover, i dont think i will bother taking anything, apart from clothes and personal stuff like photos and books.....

i was thinking if they take this long you will need to buy most stuff before it even gets there.....
can you claim for your broken stuff??

laura
xxx
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi fiona

due to the fact that the only decent things i own is my barker and stone house leather 2 seater and my new hoover, i dont think i will bother taking anything, apart from clothes and personal stuff like photos and books.....

i was thinking if they take this long you will need to buy most stuff before it even gets there.....
can you claim for your broken stuff??

laura
xxx
Hi Laura,
Great to hear your on your way to Sydney!
We did end up double buying stuff just to keep us going, very cheap stuff from big w! Its a pain , but its amazing how little you can get by on!
Not sure about claiming, will have to check our excess, not sure it will be worth claiming.
hope your not too run off your feet organising stuff!
see u soon
Fiona
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:50 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

igual,

which removalist company did you use?? we are still figuring out wich one to go for....I don't want all my china stuff broken!! too expensive to replace...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
igual,

which removalist company did you use?? we are still figuring out wich one to go for....I don't want all my china stuff broken!! too expensive to replace...
PSS. I don't think I've heard any other bad reports on them though and they were very friendly and helpful! I think it was just a little bad luck

Soapy they were Thai Spicy Prawns! And they filled me up!

FIona

Last edited by igual; Nov 18th 2004 at 11:05 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

PSS. I don't think I've heard any other bad reports on them though and they were very friendly and helpful!

Soapy they were Thai Spicy Prawns! And they filled me up!

FIona
thats cos i kept an eye on them. he would have burnt them
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
thats cos i kept an eye on them. he would have burnt them
I think it would of been hard to burn anything on those bbq's, even for Nick
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

I think it would of been hard to burn anything on those bbq's, even for Nick
thats true. but he would have eaten them raw if it wasnt for u telling him , a little bit longer.
so are u sitting on the good furniture now, all content.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
thats true. but he would have eaten them raw if it wasnt for u telling him , a little bit longer.
so are u sitting on the good furniture now, all content.
Cheeky bastard!!!!

Unpacked a bit but now settling for a beer! Maybe tomorrow!

Nick
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:25 am
Master of verbal pish©

Cheeky bastard!!!!

Unpacked a bit but now settling for a beer! Maybe tomorrow!

Nick
ha ha ha . beer? u read my mind. its just too hot not to
now uv gotta think of a way of getting rid of all that paper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.