Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Originally Posted by brisnick
i'd imagine trade jobs are ok, but city jobs can forget it, and it's too far to commute to brisbane (else i'd be there).

and i wouldn't want to bring up my kids there (i don't have any so not a concern for me yet) once they become teenagers, unless you want sexually active hoons at 13 (the big complaint is there's nothing to do in the evenings but get drunk, get laid, and hoon around!).

of course for us adults there's a whole lot of other stuff to do!
I think the irony of other stuff to do was lost on some .

Sexually active hoons at 13 .
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:45 pm
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

alkristensen,

Excellent post and views,

Love to hear your views 1 year on, when you have lived here.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:47 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are into diving North of Brisbane seems to be the place to be as if below Brisbane you always have longer travel to get to site or dive boat.

Don't have to go as far as Barrier Reef. Think you get different sort of tourist on the North side as all the yahooo main drinkers go to Surfers.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes people need to remember australia has a big binge drinking problem amongst kids too, especially girls for some reason, the papers love to splash the city sydney brisbane etc papers with girls rolling drunk in gutters.

Perspective tho, is like the UK it sells a paper.

UK has a massive binge drinking problem, same as OZ, girls tend to be in there too!!! The programme last week or maybe the week before called " Britains youngest Boozers" or something similar highlighted this problem, it was horendous and if I had not experienced it first hand I would not have believed it for sure. I see many kids out of there heads with the effects of alcohol, one female springs to mind who was 16 - 17, mother of a 6 week old baby who had been into my dept one afternoon with her being concerned for its health (it(she) was fine) and the night after on night duty I recognised the mother with a reduced level of conciousness on a A&E trolley with hardly a stitch on!!! We wondered if she had been attacked, she had been found in a backstreet unconcious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily for her she had not been attacked, she had alcohol levels of 3000 (0 being normal) had consumed a bottle of whisky amongst other things(as remembered when sobered up) because she was fed up and went to a mates!!!!!!!!! I remembered the baby and asked where she was, she told me she was back at the hostel she lived in with one of the other teenage mums looking after her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say other agencies needed to be involved, but this is from my perspective and I see it week in week out and it is rarely in our local newspaper, this is a tiny snapshot of our UK, I seem to be in a goldfish bowl and deal with this kind of behaviour as part of my job - IT IS WORLDWIDE NO DOUBT. These kids are a very small percentage of what teenagers are like, I live with two and I won't go there! lol I will apologise now for any typos as I have been on the bottle after a hard day!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:57 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Well said jad n rich.
There is more to do for the kids here than there is in west didsbury where i live , in manchester.
There is always going to be a teenage drink problem, probably coming from the angst of growing up, as if you see your parents smoking or drinking as a sign of stress release or escapism then they are sure to follow.

As far as work goes...... it depends on what your chosen skill was to be able to get here. Lots of trade work everywhere as there are new builds all the time ALL up the coast. Getting your trade recognised is the most difficult i have heard.

Luckily we are in the position where we have made good life choices(or what we seem to think are good ones, everyone is different though).

I HAVE A BUSINESS IN THE UK(A BARBERS) which gives me a good income, as i dont spend my money on big cars bigger houses the newest this and the best that. I dont spend money that i dont have, dont have any debts or loans and we will be able to buy a property outright in oz.
Clare is a business analyst but doesnt want to go near the city again, but is also a qualified horse riding instuctor and has worked her way up from customer services in a banking background and is willing to do any job.

She can turn her hand to anything and will if necessary, but she has just sold her house and has enough equity to buy 3 or 4 out here and rent them out or a nice weekly wage, or she could just stick it all in a high interest account and live off the interest. She is thinking of starting a business too cant say yet what it is we need to do th research first whether its viable.

We are going to buy a property outright. Nothing higher than we want to afford in order to rely on a job to worry about mortgage payments, just a nice little 2 bed unit or house, nothing flash or expensive. This doesnt put all our eggs in one baskets and leaves us free to have spare time to enjoy the beach and the area we have chosen for its beauty and slower way of life that we coudnt have had in the city.

I am a hairdresser/barber and can find work tomorrow if i wanted,there are plenty of jobs n my trade. I may open another shop here as well as my one in manchester that gives me enough income to not have to work (£100-200 a week)

I am also a qualified diver and would love to work on a dive boat as the HMAS Brisbane has just been sunk off the coast of mooloolaba and im off to dive it on friday. Up the road is Australia Zoo, im sure therell be plenty of jobs there as id love to work outdoors and with animals.

Im also going to go to college to do my teaching certificates so that i can teach hairdressing along with all the nice holidays. A class full of 17-18 yr old girls(every blokes nighmare LOL!!!!)

Finding work is no problem if you dont find mopping up sh1t too demeaning. I know i dont as ive had some crap jobs but ive always had a laugh doing them.

Its what you do with your money out of work that matters.

Yes we buy asda s own brands and make lots of fresh meals rather than living on expensive ready meals, we have a little flat in a nice part of manchester. We have no mortgage and didnt have when clare had her house as she had paid it off by the time she was 30, but that gives us the opportunity now to do a round the world trip earlier this year and move mortgage free to a beautiful country, grow some veggies have a couple of chicks and enjoy life, rather than making more probs for ourselves by spending everything that we have worked for in order to have a pool and the 5 bed house., B0ll0cks to that idea.

Im in now way trying to boast, but to dispel the negative thoughts that have eminated from this thread about "see how you are in a year" and "there is no work there". Open a business, get a smaller house, keep your legs shut, all these thing give you opportunity to live life to the full, rather than work everyhour god sends. You can work hard at a business for a year or so and then employ people, its not all about huge profits, its about having just enough money for the rent,bills and a few beers QUALITY TIME.

I grew upon a council estate, and have worked hard to get to this stage of my life at 34. Now all we are going to do is enjoy.

Keep your negative thoughts away from my posts. This is happiness to us. As i said, i have lived in moss side in manchester........ A few idiots and binge drinking teens(happens all over the world) isnt going to make the beach ANY LESS BEAUTIFUL. There is no graffitti anywhere, the place is spotless and yes the wages are crap, but all you have to do is spend less!

You only live once.

alk
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Well said jad n rich.
There is more to do for the kids here than there is in west didsbury where i live , in manchester.
There is always going to be a teenage drink problem, probably coming from the angst of growing up, as if you see your parents smoking or drinking as a sign of stress release or escapism then they are sure to follow.

As far as work goes...... it depends on what your chosen skill was to be able to get here. Lots of trade work everywhere as there are new builds all the time ALL up the coast. Getting your trade recognised is the most difficult i have heard.

Luckily we are in the position where we have made good life choices(or what we seem to think are good ones, everyone is different though).

I HAVE A BUSINESS IN THE UK(A BARBERS) which gives me a good income, as i dont spend my money on big cars bigger houses the newest this and the best that. I dont spend money that i dont have, dont have any debts or loans and we will be able to buy a property outright in oz.
Clare is a business analyst but doesnt want to go near the city again, but is also a qualified horse riding instuctor and has worked her way up from customer services in a banking background and is willing to do any job.

She can turn her hand to anything and will if necessary, but she has just sold her house and has enough equity to buy 3 or 4 out here and rent them out or a nice weekly wage, or she could just stick it all in a high interest account and live off the interest. She is thinking of starting a business too cant say yet what it is we need to do th research first whether its viable.

We are going to buy a property outright. Nothing higher than we want to afford in order to rely on a job to worry about mortgage payments, just a nice little 2 bed unit or house, nothing flash or expensive. This doesnt put all our eggs in one baskets and leaves us free to have spare time to enjoy the beach and the area we have chosen for its beauty and slower way of life that we coudnt have had in the city.

I am a hairdresser/barber and can find work tomorrow if i wanted,there are plenty of jobs n my trade. I may open another shop here as well as my one in manchester that gives me enough income to not have to work (£100-200 a week)

I am also a qualified diver and would love to work on a dive boat as the HMAS Brisbane has just been sunk off the coast of mooloolaba and im off to dive it on friday. Up the road is Australia Zoo, im sure therell be plenty of jobs there as id love to work outdoors and with animals.

Im also going to go to college to do my teaching certificates so that i can teach hairdressing along with all the nice holidays. A class full of 17-18 yr old girls(every blokes nighmare LOL!!!!)

Finding work is no problem if you dont find mopping up sh1t too demeaning. I know i dont as ive had some crap jobs but ive always had a laugh doing them.

Yes we buy asda s own brands and make lots of fresh meals rather than living on expensive ready meals, we have a little flat in a nice part of manchester. We have no mortgage and didnt have when clare had her house as she had paid it off by the time she was 30, but that gives us the opportunity now to do a round the world trip earlier this year and move mortgage free to a beautiful country, grow some veggies have a couple of chicks and enjoy life, rather than making more probs for ourselves by spending everything that we have worked for in order to have a pool and the 5 bed house., B0ll0cks to that idea.

Im in now way trying to boast, but to dispel the negative thoughts that have eminated from this thread about "see how you are in a year" and "there is no work there". Open a business, get a smaller house, keep your legs shut, all these thing give you opportunity to live life to the full, rather than work everyhour god sends. You can work hard at a business for a year or so and then employ people, its not all about huge profits, its about having just enough money for the rent,bills and a few beers QUALITY TIME.

I grew upon a council estate, and have worked hard to get to this stage of my life at 34. Now all we are going to do is enjoy.

Keep your negative thoughts away from my posts. This is happiness to us. As i said, i have lived in moss side in manchester........ A few idiots and binge drinking teens(happens all over the world) isnt going to make the beach ANY LESS BEAUTIFUL. There is no graffitti anywhere, the place is spotless and yes the wages are crap, but all you have to do is spend less!

You only live once.

alk
I'm impressed. Seems like many a migrant could take note(!) Sounds like you both have transferable skills or skills that could be used locally.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Well said jad n rich.

You only live once.

alk

You sound like your doing just fine to me, well done.

Bit of trivia, Sunshine coast was the winner in a poll as the place where most austalians would like to live and Buderim was voted the most desirable place in the world to live in a british airways business class survey, Even Steve Irwin lives in Mooloolaba. So your not the only one who must have thought it was alright

Theres also a very large expat population all of whom have found jobs.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:37 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I'm impressed. Seems like many a migrant could take note(!) Sounds like you both have transferable skills or skills that could be used locally.
We like to think we are flexible in what we want.
I think if youy arent flexible then you will be dissapointed if your dream doesnt come off. Have a few goals and if 1 pulls off then great, if not then create more goals.
Change direction, do a course at college or distance learning if you cant get out of the house cause of kids etc. Life is what you make it and i firmly believe you make your own luck in life.

Everyone has different directions in life and just by migrating to another country must have stirred some dreams and ambitions in people to want to move around the world. Why not embrace that motivation instead of settling into routinesville??

alk
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:47 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

but it doesn't pay well, so unless you are set up before you come over, that kind of job isn't going to support a family.

Finding work is no problem if you dont find mopping up sh1t too demeaning.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:49 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Alk,

(it's Mr Annqldau this time)

Let me know what the HMAS Brisbane is like to dive on. We (me and Mrs Annqldau) are going on Dec 3 & 4 to do it. Having to do a PADI wreck penetration course to do it though as we are SAA qualified in the UK and have dived Scapa Flow, Red Sea (Thistlegorm/Dunraven etc) but that's not recognised here as we don't have shiny PADI 'we've dived wrecks before and have done the course' badges and they won't let you go inside it unless you have the shiny Wreck Penetration badge. Don't mind doing the course, we get some penetration dives out of it, just seems silly that there is no mutal recognition of courses. I'm also thinking about maybe doing some 'paid hobby' work as a dive instructor but still trying to decide if I still just want it to be a hobby. Don't want to turn it into a sole source of income - like I said - paid hobby if anything.

Might have a better look around the area up there after we've done the diving as we have to come up to Mooloolaba to get the boat out - 7am start from there so have to leave Deception Bay early to get there on time. We are looking same as you - not bothered about jobs that give us $$$$$$$ just want enough to live on and buy ourselves some fun. Been too wrapped up in the "must earn mega-bucks" thing in the UK to get into it over here again -- takes the fun out of coming if you're going to 'live to work' again instead of 'work to live'.

Hope it all works out for you and you are happy wherever you settle. Unfortunatley won't need to see you in a professional capacity any time tho' - my hair went south a long time ago - easier to shave off what's left (on my HEAD - before anyone jumps in with comments!!!! haha) and I don't suffer from 'salty hair do' after I've been diving lol
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:08 am
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is what you make it and i firmly believe you make your own luck in life.

alk[/QUOTE]

You got it babe x
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
Alk,

(it's Mr Annqldau this time)

Let me know what the HMAS Brisbane is like to dive on. We (me and Mrs Annqldau) are going on Dec 3 & 4 to do it. Having to do a PADI wreck penetration course to do it though as we are SAA qualified in the UK and have dived Scapa Flow, Red Sea (Thistlegorm/Dunraven etc) but that's not recognised here as we don't have shiny PADI 'we've dived wrecks before and have done the course' badges and they won't let you go inside it unless you have the shiny Wreck Penetration badge. Don't mind doing the course, we get some penetration dives out of it, just seems silly that there is no mutal recognition of courses. I'm also thinking about maybe doing some 'paid hobby' work as a dive instructor but still trying to decide if I still just want it to be a hobby. Don't want to turn it into a sole source of income - like I said - paid hobby if anything.

Might have a better look around the area up there after we've done the diving as we have to come up to Mooloolaba to get the boat out - 7am start from there so have to leave Deception Bay early to get there on time. We are looking same as you - not bothered about jobs that give us $$$$$$$ just want enough to live on and buy ourselves some fun. Been too wrapped up in the "must earn mega-bucks" thing in the UK to get into it over here again -- takes the fun out of coming if you're going to 'live to work' again instead of 'work to live'.

Hope it all works out for you and you are happy wherever you settle. Unfortunatley won't need to see you in a professional capacity any time tho' - my hair went south a long time ago - easier to shave off what's left (on my HEAD - before anyone jumps in with comments!!!! haha) and I don't suffer from 'salty hair do' after I've been diving lol

Thanks, and my sentiments exactly on the live to work, work to live. Im happy on a couple of hundred quid a week, we go out for meals at least once a week and we have a car and a superbike between us. I saved up and bought the bike when i could afford it rather than on the never never!!

As far as the HMAS brissie. Im going withscubaworld on the marina in malloolaba. Im sat here reading the leaflet and all it says is

"less than 20 logged dives(doesnt say whether padi,cmas or whatever) cannotpenetrate the ship.
More than 20 but less than 50 can pentrate the Brisbane but providing depth is no greater than 18 metres and you are accomanied by guide. Must not become light locked from the outside.

More than 50 logged dive and experience below 18 metres , no restriction on dept or penetration but not become light locked.

If have wrteck pen/cave speciality, there is a poss of light locked!!!

Cotact them on 07 5444 8595 if you are unsure, but it looks as though you can, as no mention of what quals are what!!!

2 dives same day with all equipment $195
tanks and weight $160
own gear $130
www.scubaworld.com.au
email [email protected]

They can only say no!!

Good luck and if you need a dive buddy in the future, give me a shout. We are moving over in April 07 so a long way off yet.

al and clare.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:41 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, and my sentiments exactly on the live to work, work to live. Im happy on a couple of hundred quid a week, we go out for meals at least once a week and we have a car and a superbike between us. I saved up and bought the bike when i could afford it rather than on the never never!!

As far as the HMAS brissie. Im going withscubaworld on the marina in malloolaba. Im sat here reading the leaflet and all it says is

"less than 20 logged dives(doesnt say whether padi,cmas or whatever) cannotpenetrate the ship.
More than 20 but less than 50 can pentrate the Brisbane but providing depth is no greater than 18 metres and you are accomanied by guide. Must not become light locked from the outside.

More than 50 logged dive and experience below 18 metres , no restriction on dept or penetration but not become light locked.

If have wrteck pen/cave speciality, there is a poss of light locked!!!

Cotact them on 07 5444 8595 if you are unsure, but it looks as though you can, as no mention of what quals are what!!!

2 dives same day with all equipment $195
tanks and weight $160
own gear $130
www.scubaworld.com.au
email [email protected]

They can only say no!!

Good luck and if you need a dive buddy in the future, give me a shout. We are moving over in April 07 so a long way off yet.

al and clare.
Good to hear you are ignoring the knockers, totally agree - if you are willing to do anything chances are you'll land on your feet doing something that aint too bad at all !!

ps:
I did my (PADI) wreck specialty a few years back, best course i ever did fantastic fun, then we had a barbie and got drunk (this was up in Darwin by the way)
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Even Steve Irwin lives in Mooloolaba.
Now you really have put me off! :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

oh no!!! i thought you had an update for us, oh poop!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.