Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our new house build

Our new house build

Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:23 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Our new house build

Originally Posted by cranni
we went with content, good value for money. Large house 5 beds 2 baths. Study. games, theatre, living area .kitchen, laundry, double garage, with remote door, which is my favourite part. And all building on time.
Thanks for that. Sounds like the type of house we are hoping to get. Never heard of Content Builders, are they local ones around your area?

Lorraine
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:49 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superam74
Congratulations. You guys are living the dream. Come to think of it your living MY dream. Your house is looking beautiful. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much something like this cost? (tried to make that question as un-nosey as possible) As I'm a briclayer & I'm planning on doing the same. I was just wondering what the land prices are etc.
Kind regards ,Pete & family.

i think that' s the part most people are interested in....... sorry, if it is personal...... the whole concept of self-build to me looks really complicated, and at the end of the day, you just want a ball-park total figure.......

did you/do you have to pay any extras at the end of the build?

fab, absolutely brilliant looking house.
you lucky lucky beggars
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i think that' s the part most people are interested in....... sorry, if it is personal...... the whole concept of self-build to me looks really complicated, and at the end of the day, you just want a ball-park total figure.......

did you/do you have to pay any extras at the end of the build?

fab, absolutely brilliant looking house.
you lucky lucky beggars
building was the only way for us. It is something we always wanted to do in UK , but there was never the opportunity where we lived, as land ca me up for sale it was snapped up by the builders. So this was our dream. You pay in stages, slab down, then plate high [theats the brickies] lock up, and then there is the balance at the end. And the worst part about it all is the renting, i really dont like it, our agent is an absolute cow. Anyway there i a light at the end of the tunnel. Denise
ps. what do you mean by a ball park total figure. the house does not have a ball park but i bet the kids would love that
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:36 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

building was the only way for us. It is something we always wanted to do in UK , but there was never the opportunity where we lived, as land ca me up for sale it was snapped up by the builders. So this was our dream. You pay in stages, slab down, then plate high [theats the brickies] lock up, and then there is the balance at the end. And the worst part about it all is the renting, i really dont like it, our agent is an absolute cow. Anyway there i a light at the end of the tunnel. Denise
ps. what do you mean by a ball park total figure. the house does not have a ball park but i bet the kids would love that
I think what Sleeping Beauty may mean by a ball park figure is a rough idea of how much having a house like yours built would cost?
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I think what Sleeping Beauty may mean by a ball park figure is a rough idea of how much having a house like yours built would cost?
SORRY, THANKS FOR ANSWERING THOUGH
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:49 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

SORRY, THANKS FOR ANSWERING THOUGH
Why are you shouting?

We would love to have a new house built, but what you said about paying for rent as well as the new house worries me.

Our house in UK is not worth as much as some people's (although it has nearly doubled in value since we bought it 3 years ago), and we might only be able to put about £30,000 down towards a house. Do you think that would be enough to start us off with the building side of things (before getting a home loan)?

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Nov 6th 2005 at 11:57 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Why are you shouting?

We would love to have a new house built, but what you said about paying for rent as well as the new house worries me.

Our house in UK is not worth as much as some people's (although it has nearly doubled in value since we bought it 3 years ago), and we might only be able to put about £30,000 down towards a house. Do you think that would be enough to start us off with the building side of things (before getting a home loan)?
I DONT UNDERSTAND, I AM NOT SHOUTING,
OR BECAUSE THIS IS IN CAPITALS IS THAT WHAT IT MEANS,
yes we pay rent, and you have to pay in stages so you only pay for the money you lend as you lend it, so if you pay for the slab, say 25,000 then you will pay mortgage on that, then as you pay for the other stages you pay on that, so it can work out expensive, if you are paying rent and mortgage, especially if there are problems with the building. I would advise to buy ready built. OR dont rent anything too expensive. Denise
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:13 am

I DONT UNDERSTAND, I AM NOT SHOUTING,
OR BECAUSE THIS IS IN CAPITALS IS THAT WHAT IT MEANS,
yes we pay rent, and you have to pay in stages so you only pay for the money you lend as you lend it, so if you pay for the slab, say 25,000 then you will pay mortgage on that, then as you pay for the other stages you pay on that, so it can work out expensive, if you are paying rent and mortgage, especially if there are problems with the building. I would advise to buy ready built. OR dont rent anything too expensive. Denise
I think I actually may have been a bit out with my calculations on our funds, could be closer to £50,000 not £30,000. It is 1 in the morning though, and I am a bit bit tired, and need my bed

Thanks for the advice
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I actually may have been a bit out with my calculations on our funds, could be closer to £50,000 not £30,000. It is 1 in the morning though, and I am a bit bit tired, and need my bed

Thanks for the advice
night night sleep tight mind the bugs dont bite. if they do bite them back. :scared:
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you shouting?

remember when u take out a loan to build a house, while the house is being built its interest only you pay on the amount u have drawn

eg base stage $20,000 only interest on this amount
frame stage $20,000 interest on $40,000 and so on

only once the house is complete do u pay the full mortgage payments, and remember the first home owners grant....u can apply for it as soon as u set up ur home loan so it is sitting in ur mortgage account from the offset.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by biggy
remember when u take out a loan to build a house, while the house is being built its interest only you pay on the amount u have drawn

eg base stage $20,000 only interest on this amount
frame stage $20,000 interest on $40,000 and so on

only once the house is complete do u pay the full mortgage payments, and remember the first home owners grant....u can apply for it as soon as u set up ur home loan so it is sitting in ur mortgage account from the offset.
oh yes, forgot to mention that.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yes, forgot to mention that.
lol