Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

Originally Posted by NickyP
Sounds like a nice offer you get to pick where you live, not many people get that with a job. Ian's company dealt with our visa and now that they can do the 457 online it is really straightforward. The medicals and police checks can be a challenge if you don't speak the language though, we just about got through it OK in Belgium but it added to the stress. We went back to the UK to hand in our forms for the police checks for our PR but you don't need them for the 457 I don't think.
Do you have kids? If so then consider where you are living as some states charge you school fees with the 457 (I know that NSW do but there may be others).
Good luck.
Nicky
Hi Nicky
I will be commuting for a couple of months so hopefully I will get the chance to check out a few locations prior to finally picking a spot to stay.

I do have two children and they have decided that they fancy the Brisbane area after "chatting" with some friends on the internet, so I guess that will suit us all as it is at the right side for me going to and fro to NZ.
My work have said that it would be best to hold of applying for PR until I have been in the system here for a couple of years as they say it takes away a bit of the hassle getting everything done?

They have done it with some other people before, so I guess I will make some enquiries once I am up and running after landing down in Aus for a while.

Thanks for the info, its all very much appreciated and once I get going hopefully it will all be fine, so fingers crossed.

I will let you know how it all goes in the near future.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bri.thomson
Hi Nicky
I will be commuting for a couple of months so hopefully I will get the chance to check out a few locations prior to finally picking a spot to stay.

I do have two children and they have decided that they fancy the Brisbane area after "chatting" with some friends on the internet, so I guess that will suit us all as it is at the right side for me going to and fro to NZ.
My work have said that it would be best to hold of applying for PR until I have been in the system here for a couple of years as they say it takes away a bit of the hassle getting everything done?

They have done it with some other people before, so I guess I will make some enquiries once I am up and running after landing down in Aus for a while.

Thanks for the info, its all very much appreciated and once I get going hopefully it will all be fine, so fingers crossed.

I will let you know how it all goes in the near future.
The only real downsides for us with the 457 is the lack of child benefit (you get this through the tax system once you have PR) as we have 4 kids. There are allowances that you can get with some companies which are worth looking into if possible as the living away from home allowance helps a lot if you are going to be temporary for some time. We don't get that but as our PR is coming fairly quickly it's not such a big deal.
I wouldn't change the way we have done it though, Ian loves his job and we are all really settled here. The lack of language barriers really makes life a lot easier.
Nicky
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I'm sure it will be fine, I'm hoping that we used up enough bad luck for a dozen folk !

It really is worth the hassle and the problems. It's just a case of gritting teeth, getting through it as best you can, handle each problem rationally as it arises and keeping the bigger picture in mind - we knew that 3 or 4 months down the line this would all be behind us and we would have a great lifestyle.

Good luck with your move !
Hi
I hope you are right with using up a lot of bad luck.
I really do admire your perseverence, well done and I'm glad you have settled in so well, you deserve it for what you had to go through.

I hope it all keeps going well for you and your family and I hope you have a great 2006.

Thanks for the encouragement and hopefully as you say all will go well for me and my family, but as they say we will just have to go with the flow and hopefully it will only be a mild current
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyP
The only real downsides for us with the 457 is the lack of child benefit (you get this through the tax system once you have PR) as we have 4 kids. There are allowances that you can get with some companies which are worth looking into if possible as the living away from home allowance helps a lot if you are going to be temporary for some time. We don't get that but as our PR is coming fairly quickly it's not such a big deal.
I wouldn't change the way we have done it though, Ian loves his job and we are all really settled here. The lack of language barriers really makes life a lot easier.
Nicky
Thats great that its all working out good for you. I would do the same as you if we had four children as I know how expensive my two are

I will have to talk to the agent that our company uses and see if he can come up with a good plan for us. I have managed to squeeze a few more dollars from my company because of the 457 deal, but I guess we would better to get our PR sooner rather than later.
I have fired a good few questions at them in regard to the disadvantages of the 457, but each of my concerns have been met with a calm and calculated answer, so I guess they have more experience than me at these things.

I will go with the flow and see how it goes, but hopefully it will go quite well :scared:
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:22 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done for staring adversity so hard in the face Haggis!
Sounds like you had a nightmare - I bet you appreciate what you have all the more after working sooo bloody hard for it!?
Good luck for the future and how is your boss shaping up out there? Still having his doubts?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Louis Roi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

I've seen a number of posts recently about concerns, problems and general apprehensions about moving to Australia. I thought a brief summary of my move may help some.

I was offered a job in early July (457 visa) and flew on August 19th. We had an incredibly hectic 6 weeks preparing and had all manner of problems, see below. I moved with my wife, my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

· Had 3 weeks to decorate house and completely redo front garden - to make presentable for rent. Akin to mission impossible.
· Told by Gas Engineer that we have a gas leak, pipes not fitted properly and he cannot issue Landlord Safety Cert. Takes 2 days knocking holes in walls to find and fix. Not cheap.
· My move to Oz came about as a result of my boss in the UK taking a job in Melbourne and offering me a job. I go through 3 weeks of interviews and on-line psychological profiling. 1 week before I'm due to fly he gets cold feet and pulls out at last minute. He later changes his mind but for 3 days we are in panic mode and consider pulling out.
· We rented our house the day it went on the market, above asking price. 5 days before we fly the tenants pull out - it takes us a further 3 months to let house at a price GBP 650 less than previous offer.
· Company offers only 20 foot container. Not enough. 40 foot then provided but we are to pay extra. We then sell, give away and move to inlaws a ton of furniture only for company to say there was misunderstanding and they would have paid for the lot. Too late !
· One week to go I put petrol into 6 month old BMW - it's a diesel car so does GBP 4,500 worth of damage !!
· Have to travel to London for medicals - twice in 3 days and then GP loses daughters medical records - twice. We only receive visas 2 days before we are due to fly.
· Have to leave the UK not having sold either car. Eventually sell both but lose a fortune on one of them.
· Removal process is a shocker. Allied Pickfords are awful. They call in sick on second day. They run out of wrapping materials. No special cartons provided. They wrap items they shouldn't. They fail to pick up air freight. I have to wait in empty house for 2 days waiting for air freight to be collected and miss Mother In Laws 60th party - not best pleased !
· Pickfords and Relocation Agent fail to provide relevant documentation so I'm up until 4am on the morning of the move completing transit, DIMIA and Insurance documents. Only panicking slightly.
· Air Freight goes missing in transit - told that it has been lost at KL and cannot be found. It turns up 8 days later.
· $15,000 worth of damages as a result of removals - all beds and mattresses arrive water damaged and therefore ruined. Damage to cabinets, chests of drawers, laptops, PC monitors, plates, pictures, glasses etc etc etc ! 4 months after move I am still waiting final settlement.
· 3 boxes of clothes are "lost". Dresses, kids clothing and some of our favourite items. They never turn up.
· We looked at 36 houses before settling on a place in Beaumaris - found it only 1 week before company was due to stop paying for apartment. We were in panic mode again.

The process was a shocker and at times we felt that fate was certainly against us. We considered pulling out twice and from mid June to mid September we hardly stopped. So many times we heard the phrase "This has never happened before..." - from Estate Agents, Visa Agent, Relocation Agent, Removal firm etc as something else went wrong.

However, despite all of this we adore it here in Melbourne and it was certainly worth the hassle. The people, the place, the lifestyle and the opportunities are fabulous. There is so much to do and see and it is incredibly child friendly. The process was very quick and we hardly had time to think once things started moving, and perhaps this helped. My advice to those considering the move is to go for it. It is incredibly difficult, it is stressful and there are so many unknowns but it is worth it. The children are incredibly settled (my daughter loves her school), they are already body boarding and swimming most days, we have a family day out almost every weekend and are spending so much more time together. My wife is also very happy and has already made some very good friends - both Aussie and ex-pat. Sure it has some downsides and we miss things from home but it is a fabulous place and an amazing opportunity. We may decide to return one day, though that appears to be unlikely, but if we do it will have been a great and positive experience for us all.

Good luck to those considering or actually in the process.

I got tired just reading your story. Hope it would be less stressful when our time comes.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a nightmare indeed. I've just been in contact with the Australian part of my company and a couple of interesting e-mails have ensued, hopefully the start of something more

They are located in Victoria too so I may hopefully get there this year with my family

Cheers

John
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:49 am
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Hello,
I couldn't believe so many things could go wrong with your move! I am glad that you are enjoying Melbourne now. We are moving there at some point in the next few months as my hubby has been offered a job. How are you finding Beaumaris and the schools? We are looking in that area and our kids are 5 and 3 too. hubby's job is near Moorabbin ariport so thought bayside looked good. Any tips greatly appreciated as I am finding the whole process a bit scary!

Nik
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great story - I echo what you say about things being child-friendly - I've been amazed at how nice everyone here has been.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:46 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...my stress levels are at 100% just reading your thread! So pleased to hear things have settled for you now.

They say everything happens for a reason.....I suppose you won't be in any hurry to move back to UK !

Good luck with your new life!

J
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:54 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're settling in ok now, but what a nightmare to begin with.
Good Luck for the future to you and your family.
Julie. x
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Our move to Australia - problems, but worth it.

I've seen a number of posts recently about concerns, problems and general apprehensions about moving to Australia. I thought a brief summary of my move may help some.

I was offered a job in early July (457 visa) and flew on August 19th. We had an incredibly hectic 6 weeks preparing and had all manner of problems, see below. I moved with my wife, my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

· Had 3 weeks to decorate house and completely redo front garden - to make presentable for rent. Akin to mission impossible.
· Told by Gas Engineer that we have a gas leak, pipes not fitted properly and he cannot issue Landlord Safety Cert. Takes 2 days knocking holes in walls to find and fix. Not cheap.
· My move to Oz came about as a result of my boss in the UK taking a job in Melbourne and offering me a job. I go through 3 weeks of interviews and on-line psychological profiling. 1 week before I'm due to fly he gets cold feet and pulls out at last minute. He later changes his mind but for 3 days we are in panic mode and consider pulling out.
· We rented our house the day it went on the market, above asking price. 5 days before we fly the tenants pull out - it takes us a further 3 months to let house at a price GBP 650 less than previous offer.
· Company offers only 20 foot container. Not enough. 40 foot then provided but we are to pay extra. We then sell, give away and move to inlaws a ton of furniture only for company to say there was misunderstanding and they would have paid for the lot. Too late !
· One week to go I put petrol into 6 month old BMW - it's a diesel car so does GBP 4,500 worth of damage !!
· Have to travel to London for medicals - twice in 3 days and then GP loses daughters medical records - twice. We only receive visas 2 days before we are due to fly.
· Have to leave the UK not having sold either car. Eventually sell both but lose a fortune on one of them.
· Removal process is a shocker. Allied Pickfords are awful. They call in sick on second day. They run out of wrapping materials. No special cartons provided. They wrap items they shouldn't. They fail to pick up air freight. I have to wait in empty house for 2 days waiting for air freight to be collected and miss Mother In Laws 60th party - not best pleased !
· Pickfords and Relocation Agent fail to provide relevant documentation so I'm up until 4am on the morning of the move completing transit, DIMIA and Insurance documents. Only panicking slightly.
· Air Freight goes missing in transit - told that it has been lost at KL and cannot be found. It turns up 8 days later.
· $15,000 worth of damages as a result of removals - all beds and mattresses arrive water damaged and therefore ruined. Damage to cabinets, chests of drawers, laptops, PC monitors, plates, pictures, glasses etc etc etc ! 4 months after move I am still waiting final settlement.
· 3 boxes of clothes are "lost". Dresses, kids clothing and some of our favourite items. They never turn up.
· We looked at 36 houses before settling on a place in Beaumaris - found it only 1 week before company was due to stop paying for apartment. We were in panic mode again.

The process was a shocker and at times we felt that fate was certainly against us. We considered pulling out twice and from mid June to mid September we hardly stopped. So many times we heard the phrase "This has never happened before..." - from Estate Agents, Visa Agent, Relocation Agent, Removal firm etc as something else went wrong.

However, despite all of this we adore it here in Melbourne and it was certainly worth the hassle. The people, the place, the lifestyle and the opportunities are fabulous. There is so much to do and see and it is incredibly child friendly. The process was very quick and we hardly had time to think once things started moving, and perhaps this helped. My advice to those considering the move is to go for it. It is incredibly difficult, it is stressful and there are so many unknowns but it is worth it. The children are incredibly settled (my daughter loves her school), they are already body boarding and swimming most days, we have a family day out almost every weekend and are spending so much more time together. My wife is also very happy and has already made some very good friends - both Aussie and ex-pat. Sure it has some downsides and we miss things from home but it is a fabulous place and an amazing opportunity. We may decide to return one day, though that appears to be unlikely, but if we do it will have been a great and positive experience for us all.

Respect!

Arkon's status as a miserable, third-rate whinger without a cause is hereby officially confirmed.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:28 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your story.......and after all that you are loving it, well maybe there is hope for me yet.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:35 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez what a stressful time you've had...sunshine after the rain though yeah...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Sounds like madness
I am in the same boat.. Been offered a job on the 457 visa and about to send application off. I am also heading for Melbourne hopefully around April as it gives me time to sort my house out

All the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.