Our House Build

Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our House Build

Well I have been promising to do this for awhile so here goes I tend to ramble in long posts, hence I try not to make them too often so I hope this makes sense

The whole process started at the beginning of this year when we started getting fed up with being in rented. We had thought we would be looking to buy an established home as both sets of our parents had offered to give us money to help us get on the property ladder. In the end however, John's parents gave us a 5 acre block of land they owned and hence the journey began

We had intended to design the whole house ourselves from scratch but we were having problems designing what we wanted. We started looking around at any (and I mean any!) builder's websites that we could find. We hadn't realised there would be so few designs suitable for our block (I think it came to 5!) as most cater for townhouse size blocks and they wouldn't have looked right on a bigger block. We eventually settled on a design by JG King and arranged to go see it.

I have to say that the initial planning stages with our salesman for the area we are building in was excellent except for a few minor things. We moved a few doors around and thought that it was commonsense that the light switches would move as well for example but they stayed where they were! From this stage forward we were very careful to specify everything that needed doing, even if it seemed obvious to us. They were also very happy for us to delay the start of the build for 5 months as we weren't yet in a position to go ahead as we wanted to start in the next tax year (ie July).

Building proper started in the middle of July and I have to say that at the beginning it was very slow. The builder sub contracts out to a contractor who then sub contracts the work so we end up several people removed from those actually doing the job which makes it hard to get in touch with them. For example, a few months ago we had gale force wingds that blew the polystyrene blocks for the slabs all over the town so we called our building supervisor to sort it out and he told us it wasn't his problem it was the people who had been contracted to do the slab who had to sort it out. Needless to say we ended up spending an afternoon tidying it up. It took 5 weeks with one thing and another before the slab was poured. We then had further delays with the steel frame going up although this was due to the guy doing our frame undergoing tests as he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer so our house is likely the last he will ever work on

Well we have just had 2 days of the roofers putting the roof on, the bricks have been delivered and for the last few weeks there has been someone working on site everyday so it seems to be full steam ahead now we have got over the initial delays Attached is a pic of progress up to yesterday, for more pics click here
Attached Thumbnails Our House Build-p1120502-1728-x-1296-.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:16 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our House Build

How lovely to be given such a wonderful present! Wow!

That's looking excellent. Keep us up to date.

Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:38 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! The house looks massive. And getting a 5 acre block as a present - you lucky devils!

Gina
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Wow! The house looks massive. And getting a 5 acre block as a present - you lucky devils!

Gina
It looks massive due to the garage which is approx 3x the normal size It is storage area for my boyfriend's business, we don't have a fleet of cars honest The actual living area is probably only about half of the area of the actual building (everything that has green cladding on)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to hearing more about the house.
Mandy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:46 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent mate!

I hope you and your family enjoy your life in your new home when its finished.

Just a thought though, the back garden is a bit on the small side!

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Well I have been promising to do this for awhile so here goes I tend to ramble in long posts, hence I try not to make them too often so I hope this makes sense

The whole process started at the beginning of this year when we started getting fed up with being in rented. We had thought we would be looking to buy an established home as both sets of our parents had offered to give us money to help us get on the property ladder. In the end however, John's parents gave us a 5 acre block of land they owned and hence the journey began

We had intended to design the whole house ourselves from scratch but we were having problems designing what we wanted. We started looking around at any (and I mean any!) builder's websites that we could find. We hadn't realised there would be so few designs suitable for our block (I think it came to 5!) as most cater for townhouse size blocks and they wouldn't have looked right on a bigger block. We eventually settled on a design by JG King and arranged to go see it.

I have to say that the initial planning stages with our salesman for the area we are building in was excellent except for a few minor things. We moved a few doors around and thought that it was commonsense that the light switches would move as well for example but they stayed where they were! From this stage forward we were very careful to specify everything that needed doing, even if it seemed obvious to us. They were also very happy for us to delay the start of the build for 5 months as we weren't yet in a position to go ahead as we wanted to start in the next tax year (ie July).

Building proper started in the middle of July and I have to say that at the beginning it was very slow. The builder sub contracts out to a contractor who then sub contracts the work so we end up several people removed from those actually doing the job which makes it hard to get in touch with them. For example, a few months ago we had gale force wingds that blew the polystyrene blocks for the slabs all over the town so we called our building supervisor to sort it out and he told us it wasn't his problem it was the people who had been contracted to do the slab who had to sort it out. Needless to say we ended up spending an afternoon tidying it up. It took 5 weeks with one thing and another before the slab was poured. We then had further delays with the steel frame going up although this was due to the guy doing our frame undergoing tests as he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer so our house is likely the last he will ever work on

Well we have just had 2 days of the roofers putting the roof on, the bricks have been delivered and for the last few weeks there has been someone working on site everyday so it seems to be full steam ahead now we have got over the initial delays Attached is a pic of progress up to yesterday, for more pics click here
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Excellent mate!

I hope you and your family enjoy your life in your new home when its finished.

Just a thought though, the back garden is a bit on the small side!
I'm not much of a gardener, I struggle even to keep my cactus alive The garden is Johns problem I wouldn't know where to start
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

hOPE YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING WHAT SORT OF TOTAL BUILD COSTS DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE LOOKING AT?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by farrierswife
hOPE YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING WHAT SORT OF TOTAL BUILD COSTS DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE LOOKING AT?
We know what our total is, I don't think it will change now. There was a possibility the prices would change if the prices of materials went up but I think we are safe now, all the things subject to change have been delivered.

It is approx $240,000. Would have been about $20,000 less without the changes to the garage but that still worked out cheaper than a big shed

PS Where in Somerset are you from, I lived in and around Taunton from the age of 4 up to 18 when I came over here to Oz
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Teliko21
We know what our total is, I don't think it will change now. There was a possibility the prices would change if the prices of materials went up but I think we are safe now, all the things subject to change have been delivered.

It is approx $240,000. Would have been about $20,000 less without the changes to the garage but that still worked out cheaper than a big shed

PS Where in Somerset are you from, I lived in and around Taunton from the age of 4 up to 18 when I came over here to Oz
small world
jUST UP THE ROAD THEN WE ARE IN cHEDDAR
What made you go for a single storey?We are looking at coming over early 2007 and would like to self build(need a 5 bedroom home)on a plot of about 5 acres too
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by farrierswife
small world
jUST UP THE ROAD THEN WE ARE IN cHEDDAR
What made you go for a single storey?We are looking at coming over early 2007 and would like to self build(need a 5 bedroom home)on a plot of about 5 acres too
Just about every house I know on the bigger blocks is single storey. I guess it is cheaper to build out than up if you don't need to This house is 4 bedrooms although even that is overkill as it is just the 2 of us and long may that continue

Last edited by Teliko21; Nov 1st 2006 at 10:10 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I like the archetyal homestead style ie. long and narrow, with a clean roof line. Beats any McMansion hands down!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I like the archetyal homestead style ie. long and narrow, with a clean roof line. Beats any McMansion hands down!
Yes, McMansions have to be seen to be believed There are some real shockers about
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Some updated pics. We will be moving in in a few weeks. Things left on the to do list are paint touch ups, a bit more staining, finish the tiling, carpets the installation of garage door and installation of hot water system and stove on handover day.

There are plenty more pics here if anyone is interested
Attached Thumbnails Our House Build-normal_img_0766.jpg   Our House Build-normal_p1120704-01.jpg   Our House Build-normal_p1120710-01.jpg  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Wow it's shaping up really well. Love the bay in the kitchen - will you have your table there?

looks great

shears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.