Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our first year in Perth!

our first year in Perth!

Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:32 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default our first year in Perth!

Bit long winded this, sorry if its boring!
We've been here for a year today and boy has it flew! We came on a temp visa because hubby got offered a job (engineer). I'm a nurse and we were thinking of applying for PR before he got the job offer, but hubby applied for the job (not expecting to get it) and was offered it December 2004. We had already sold the house in November as we going to move whether we went to Oz or not. We moved out of our house and into furnished rented at the beginning of Feb (put our stuff in storage with the removal company) and the visa came through end of March.
We flew with Cathay Pacific who were great (apart from serving noodles to a passenger at 6 am when everyone else was trying to sleep, god it made me feel sick!) The flight was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, especially with my 2 boys aged 6 and 9! It went that quick that I didn't even read the magazines I'd bought!
We were lucky in that his company paid all relocation fees and booked us a hotel for 4 weeks. Just as we were about to leave, a friend of ours told us about a family who lived in Perth and were visiting Manchester. We got their number and spoke to them and they gave us their contact details in Perth. We had met the hubby years ago but not the rest of the family.
When we arrived we contacted them and met up. We all got on really well and we decided to settle in Ellenbrook where they lived. We did think we would be living by the coast and if we had not met up with them we would have. But, I really like where we are and they have introduced us to all their friends (they have been here 4 years). We are 20 minutes from Hilary's, 20 minutes from Joondalup and about 30 minutes from Perth CBD. Don't go into Perth much, tend to go to Joondalup.
I consider that we have been very lucky and everthing seems to have fallen into place. I know that the whole process is much harder for many and respect that people have to wait a long time just to get the visa.
We rented from May and couldn't decide whether to build or buy established. Building was taking ages so in the end we decided to buy. We bought one of the first houses we had seen, we loved the exterior, walked right through the house, into the back yard, saw the massive undercover area and that there was room for a pool and said we'd have it! We had to go through the FIRB because we are temp visa holders but it didn't take much longer than normal (6 weeks from start to finish). We put in a pool (See my hubbys post under paddy) which was a load of hassle.
We had the best Xmas ever, we were out every day at someone's BBQ and NYE was at ours. At midnight we were all in the pool! We lay on lilos in the pool saying to ourselves that we wouldn't be doing this in the UK.
I don't miss the UK at all (apart from mum). She came out to visit and loved it, so much so she's coming back in December! She said she knows now why we have come! I missed her more after she had gone back, the house felt empty! But I'm getting on with life and know that she will be visiting soon.
We haven't done a great deal of travelling / sight seeing as we have been busy with the house. It needed totally redecorating and tiling. But we know it's out there and can't wait to get started!
Life is pretty much like the UK on a day to day basis e.g. kids go to school, shopping needs to be done, ironing, going to work. But it's the other things that make it better - the kids jumping in the pool when they get home from school, going to the beach on a wednesday when they finish school early, hubby doing the meat on the barby for tea! Must say hubby has never done so much cooking as he has done over here! We do things more as a family. In the UK he left for work at 6 and didn't get home until 8, by this time the kids were ready for bed. He went out with his friends on a saturday and recovered on the sofa on a sunday! Now we drink little and often rather than him having a skin full every saturday!
The kids love it and have settled well. They don't mention the UK now. Their school is relaxed and they have improved really well. They have beome more sporty, they both did little athletics last season, my eldest is doing rugby and they are both in a swimming club.
I have made a great group of friends and we go ten pin bowling on a monday! I work 2 nights at Joondalup health campus on a casual basis and the pay is the same as it was in the UK. Hubby is in Albuny at the moment (there for 3 weeks) we knew he would have to work away at times because of the jobs. He'll be back for easter and then have to return for the odd couple of nights every week. We miss him and he misses us I think (think he's glad of the peace though!) but when he does return we spend more time together.
So, all in all I'm so glad we came. It's not all perfect (and I don't expect it to be) we still argue, still shout at the kids etc but the rest of it makes up for it! So for all you people coming over, just come and give it a go. Even if we had to go back, I'm so glad we gave it a try. If I had to say why it has worked so well for us, I'd say finding friends that we get on so well with. They have been great and have really helped us find our feet. It was really daunting that first morning at the airport, not knowing where we were going or not knowing anyone, I just wanted to go back home! I'm so glad now I didn't.
If there are any people coming out that don't know anyone here, I'd be more than willing to meet up with you to show you around etc, just give me a shout.
Sorry to be so long winded, I can't stop once I start!

Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:56 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: our first year in Perth!

Nice one Tracey , good post
Old Apr 9th 2006, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

now I know why you need a hunk at night as hubby is away but I wont offer as my wife is your friend, good post though, Paul
Old Apr 9th 2006, 4:10 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman
now I know why you need a hunk at night as hubby is away but I wont offer as my wife is your friend, good post though, Paul
Hey, don't be saying that! Hubby might think I mean it!
And Nicola knows I'm not like that!
Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2006, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

firn will become famous soon enough

What a great post, it's nice to hear the success stories. We'll be over in Perth for a look around later in the year.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 5:56 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Tracey....
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:17 am
happy to be here!

Originally Posted by Ransi
Great post Tracey....
Thanks Ransi.
BTW found my friend!
Not sure if you'll remember

Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

good post tracey
dom
Old Apr 9th 2006, 6:42 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Thanks Ransi.
BTW found my friend!
Not sure if you'll remember

Tracey
I do indeed...
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for such an informative post we enjoyed readying it. Glad hear you have settled in so well.

We've been here for a year today and boy has it flew! We came on a temp visa because hubby got offered a job (engineer). I'm a nurse and we were thinking of applying for PR before he got the job offer, but hubby applied for the job (not expecting to get it) and was offered it December 2004. We had already sold the house in November as we going to move whether we went to Oz or not. We moved out of our house and into furnished rented at the beginning of Feb (put our stuff in storage with the removal company) and the visa came through end of March.
We flew with Cathay Pacific who were great (apart from serving noodles to a passenger at 6 am when everyone else was trying to sleep, god it made me feel sick!) The flight was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, especially with my 2 boys aged 6 and 9! It went that quick that I didn't even read the magazines I'd bought!
We were lucky in that his company paid all relocation fees and booked us a hotel for 4 weeks. Just as we were about to leave, a friend of ours told us about a family who lived in Perth and were visiting Manchester. We got their number and spoke to them and they gave us their contact details in Perth. We had met the hubby years ago but not the rest of the family.
When we arrived we contacted them and met up. We all got on really well and we decided to settle in Ellenbrook where they lived. We did think we would be living by the coast and if we had not met up with them we would have. But, I really like where we are and they have introduced us to all their friends (they have been here 4 years). We are 20 minutes from Hilary's, 20 minutes from Joondalup and about 30 minutes from Perth CBD. Don't go into Perth much, tend to go to Joondalup.
I consider that we have been very lucky and everthing seems to have fallen into place. I know that the whole process is much harder for many and respect that people have to wait a long time just to get the visa.
We rented from May and couldn't decide whether to build or buy established. Building was taking ages so in the end we decided to buy. We bought one of the first houses we had seen, we loved the exterior, walked right through the house, into the back yard, saw the massive undercover area and that there was room for a pool and said we'd have it! We had to go through the FIRB because we are temp visa holders but it didn't take much longer than normal (6 weeks from start to finish). We put in a pool (See my hubbys post under paddy) which was a load of hassle.
We had the best Xmas ever, we were out every day at someone's BBQ and NYE was at ours. At midnight we were all in the pool! We lay on lilos in the pool saying to ourselves that we wouldn't be doing this in the UK.
I don't miss the UK at all (apart from mum). She came out to visit and loved it, so much so she's coming back in December! She said she knows now why we have come! I missed her more after she had gone back, the house felt empty! But I'm getting on with life and know that she will be visiting soon.
We haven't done a great deal of travelling / sight seeing as we have been busy with the house. It needed totally redecorating and tiling. But we know it's out there and can't wait to get started!
Life is pretty much like the UK on a day to day basis e.g. kids go to school, shopping needs to be done, ironing, going to work. But it's the other things that make it better - the kids jumping in the pool when they get home from school, going to the beach on a wednesday when they finish school early, hubby doing the meat on the barby for tea! Must say hubby has never done so much cooking as he has done over here! We do things more as a family. In the UK he left for work at 6 and didn't get home until 8, by this time the kids were ready for bed. He went out with his friends on a saturday and recovered on the sofa on a sunday! Now we drink little and often rather than him having a skin full every saturday!
The kids love it and have settled well. They don't mention the UK now. Their school is relaxed and they have improved really well. They have beome more sporty, they both did little athletics last season, my eldest is doing rugby and they are both in a swimming club.
I have made a great group of friends and we go ten pin bowling on a monday! I work 2 nights at Joondalup health campus on a casual basis and the pay is the same as it was in the UK. Hubby is in Albuny at the moment (there for 3 weeks) we knew he would have to work away at times because of the jobs. He'll be back for easter and then have to return for the odd couple of nights every week. We miss him and he misses us I think (think he's glad of the peace though!) but when he does return we spend more time together.
So, all in all I'm so glad we came. It's not all perfect (and I don't expect it to be) we still argue, still shout at the kids etc but the rest of it makes up for it! So for all you people coming over, just come and give it a go. Even if we had to go back, I'm so glad we gave it a try. If I had to say why it has worked so well for us, I'd say finding friends that we get on so well with. They have been great and have really helped us find our feet. It was really daunting that first morning at the airport, not knowing where we were going or not knowing anyone, I just wanted to go back home! I'm so glad now I didn't.
If there are any people coming out that don't know anyone here, I'd be more than willing to meet up with you to show you around etc, just give me a shout.

Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: our first year in Perth!

Tracey
Great post!

It's always nice to hear that another ex-pat is finally living the dream.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:51 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracey
V intersting- thanks for the post.

Dave
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:02 am
happy to be here!

Thanks Dave, BTW is your wife a nurse? Used to work at the Royal Oldham Hospital.
Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys is an unknown quantity at this point

great posting and very much like we are thinking at the moment
we are arriving in Perth in June slghtly blind and thinking that we must find a place near the coast , not sure whereabouts to live , work or look for decent schools . From your posting it sounds like looking inland could be better than insisting on not being too far from the beach .
Good luck and hope your dream just gets better
Tony
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:38 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thought I was going to cry towards the end I was so inspired. We're soooo close to Oz I can taste it! It all rests on the house really. Job lined up, flights booked, shippers organised and dog getting there. Our missives have been signed and we're due to exchange in four weeks. Work is so much of a hassle and stressor right now! I'm trying to narrow down the search for suburbs to look at by checking out the schools tick lists.....

Glad life is 'normal' for you and long may it continue!

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.