Our experiences of HSBC v Commonwealth

Wikiposts

Our experiences of HSBC v Commonwealth

Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Our experiences of HSBC v Commonwealth

Hi
Just thought I'd share our experiences of opening a bank account to add to all the posts about this so far. We have banked with First Direct for ten years - superb bank, great customer service, can't say enough about how good they are!!!! We spoke to them a year ago (or possibly more) about opening an account in Australia. They advised us to contact them again aprox 6-8 weeks before we left and they would help us to set up an account with HSBC. We duly did this, got the application form through, filled it in and went to do the 100 point check (I.D. verification) with our local branch...spoke to one person who passed us on to someone else who passed us on to a third person who told us that on our timescale (now five and a half weeks since forms arrived) this would be impossible. We queried this and after some time she found the number to call (it was on the bottom of our letter that we showed her and we DID draw her attention to this but she still had to leave the desk to 'check'!) , called it and told us that opening an account would be impossible. We would , in our view, had deposited a fair amount of money with them.
Last week we made a call to the Commonwealth Bank of Australia - really helpful, told us to come in with passports, utility bill and a bank statement. We had to make an appointment but they were available exactly when was convenient for us (never had that before with anyone!!!!). Went in today, took twenty minutes and we now have a bank account to deposit money into whenever we wish to. Yes, only twenty minutes to get full account details, we pick up the cards when we arrive in Adelaide. This is exactly what we asked for.
In short...Commonwealth were SUPERB AND VERY EFFICIENT WITH OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE and HSBC a waste of time. When we get to Australia and can compare more we may change banks we may not...who knows???
My advice, give Commonwealth a call - they are great!
Susan
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

I think you may be one of the lucky few who is pleased with CBA. Been nothing but a nightmare for us, but I won't go into all that.

Okay, just one moan about their flamin mastercard which we pay 80 bucks a year for. They also charged us 5 bucks everytime we used it in New Zealand as well as a measly exchange rate.

Guess it all depends where your local CBA branch is...
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Ith
Okay, just one moan about their flamin mastercard which we pay 80 bucks a year for. ...
Try here www.virginmoney.com.au

Fee free for life. Don't you just love Mr branson!!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hevs
Try here www.virginmoney.com.au

Fee free for life. Don't you just love Mr branson!!
And operated by Westpac who charge $35 a year for a similiar product.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:00 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I have both, i like to hedge my bets

and a girl can never have too many credit cards
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:42 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

The Commonwealth will happily charge you for everything aswell.

We had no problems with the HSBC but we dealt with their International Banking Centre in London and it was a breeze.

Jo
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:11 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

I was lucky I had an existing bank account in Oz with my local credit union which I have been paying money into every since I left Oz in 1998.... Contacted them by phone about adding hubby to the account etc... and they did it all over the phone (on one condition that we go in together when we get there to do the id checks and everything...) Pick up new cards when we get there etc.. and we are all set to go....

HSBC where a waste of time with us too!! And we have banked with them as a couple since November 2002 and my hubby since he was about 16??? Have mortgage with them too - wouldn't assist us with anything either.....

Sam&Andy