Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!!

Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!!

Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold
Smile Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!!

Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!! So at last the family is back together again. For those who are about to migrate with pets and are worried, don’t be, our two survived the process just fine. When we got them home they ate for 20 minutes non stop!

Our dogs traveled via Golden Arrow and all the arrangements went smoothly, the only hick up was the map GA gave us to where the quarantine station was, was out of date and the roads listed no longer exist.

The Staff at the Sydney station looked after both dogs reasonably well. A couple of thing for folk to note. Firstly, dogs on short stay quarantine are not exercised, if you want to exercise them you have to go and do it yourself. This is more difficult that you would imagine because the will not let you exercise your pet if it has rained in the preceding 24 hours. This month it has rained every other day. Also you can only visit Tuesday & Thursday between 1.30-3.00 and they are very strict on this. Even though they say you can make alternative appointments they will not let you. Also they stick rigidly to the times. Last week we arrived at 1.28 and they made us wait 2 minutes before allowing us into the kennel compound – civil servants are the same the world over.

Now we can really settle in to our new life

Molly
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:13 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!!

congratulations.....
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sam&molly
Our dogs came out of quarantine today!!! So at last the family is back together again. For those who are about to migrate with pets and are worried, don’t be, our two survived the process just fine. When we got them home they ate for 20 minutes non stop!

Our dogs traveled via Golden Arrow and all the arrangements went smoothly, the only hick up was the map GA gave us to where the quarantine station was, was out of date and the roads listed no longer exist.

The Staff at the Sydney station looked after both dogs reasonably well. A couple of thing for folk to note. Firstly, dogs on short stay quarantine are not exercised, if you want to exercise them you have to go and do it yourself. This is more difficult that you would imagine because the will not let you exercise your pet if it has rained in the preceding 24 hours. This month it has rained every other day. Also you can only visit Tuesday & Thursday between 1.30-3.00 and they are very strict on this. Even though they say you can make alternative appointments they will not let you. Also they stick rigidly to the times. Last week we arrived at 1.28 and they made us wait 2 minutes before allowing us into the kennel compound – civil servants are the same the world over.

Molly
Hi glad to hear everthing went smoothly and you are all back together.Our dog Oscar is flying out on the 1st of march and heading to the sydney quarantine station.We are not sure about visiting him as we dont want him to be confused by us coming and going.How did your dogs cope with this?
He has been kennelled once and it was a disaster,he lots tons of weight and got depressed!What condition did your 2 come back in,and have they settled down now.We know he has to go through it but its not going to be pleasent experience for any of us..........Any info wou;d be great.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:38 pm
Merlot

Are pussy cats housed at the same location?

M

Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough

Molly
molly
is it true that it can cost around £4,000 to take your dog over, we are starting to think about it now.our girls would be heartbroken if we left him behind
keith
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:56 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for letting us know how they got on. Sydney is where my dog poppy will have to go - i'm dreading it already, this will worry me more than anything because she is not that good in kennels and the flight, oh my god I don't want to even think about it

Enjoy your new life and all the long doggy walks

Lynn
p.s were you impressed with the staff?
and what sort of bedding are the dogs provided with?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:02 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by taylors244
molly
is it true that it can cost around £4,000 to take your dog over, we are starting to think about it now.our girls would be heartbroken if we left him behind
keith
We have requested quotes for 2 dogs and 1 cat from, Parair, Air Pets and Golden Arrow.
So far only one has come back with a price of £2600 for the 3.
Hope it gives you some indication.

neil
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

molly
keith
HI,We are sending our dog to sydney with par air,they are charging 2300.That was the cheapest quote.We were impressed with golden arrow,but because we live in essex we would of had to send him on a flight to Manchester first.Par air are in Colchester and have been very helpful so far..............Hope that helps, Claire
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I am stunned to hear that the dogs are not exercised. I find this totally unbelievable. I have a lurcher so you can imagine what she's going to think of being stuck in a cage day in day out. 1 week maybe but 4 weeks of relative inactivity will surely take its toll. How big are the cages/runs.

Cheers Jo
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:16 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
I am stunned to hear that the dogs are not exercised. I find this totally unbelievable. I have a lurcher so you can imagine what she's going to think of being stuck in a cage day in day out. 1 week maybe but 4 weeks of relative inactivity will surely take its toll. How big are the cages/runs.

Cheers Jo
I agree, worrying but it won't kill them (I don't think) you will just have to build up their excercise again gradually and they will soon regain their strength. I have a border collie x who also needs excersise to burn off steam but they will have plenty of time for that.

Lynn
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
Hi glad to hear everthing went smoothly and you are all back together.Our dog Oscar is flying out on the 1st of march and heading to the sydney quarantine station.We are not sure about visiting him as we dont want him to be confused by us coming and going.How did your dogs cope with this?
He has been kennelled once and it was a disaster,he lots tons of weight and got depressed!What condition did your 2 come back in,and have they settled down now.We know he has to go through it but its not going to be pleasent experience for any of us..........Any info wou;d be great.
Ours both lost a lot of weight. It was very hard on us visiting and then leaving them again, and I’m sure it was confusing for the dogs too. However, when we visited we took food in with us and for a large portion of the time they simply ate. I suppose they found it comforting us being there – even for a small period of time.

Generally, there health is good following quarantine. However, due to the lack of exercise one was terribly constipated. Also they have been very clingy overnight. When I left for work today I could hear them howling, they never did this before. I’m sure they will settle down when they get used to being out. On a positive note, the smallest dog was always very wary of other dogs, last night when we went for a walk she was OK, it seems the proximity of other dogs for a month has eased her fears.

Molly
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

molly
keith
For our two dogs (Border collie & small Mutt) the transport costs were 3,300 Pounds. Vet bill for blood test 280 pounds. Quarantine cost $1100 for both dogs plus $280 for heartworm injections (a must over here). So the total cost for both dogs was approx 4500 pounds. Ouch I'd never counted it all up before.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Merlot
Are pussy cats housed at the same location?

M

Yes. Actually the cat pens look really nice the have climbing post in and a sun roof where they cal lie and take in the rays.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joho

Cheers Jo

The pens are split into two: sleeping area approx 7ft X 4ft and a play area 7ft x 15ft but ours were in a double pen.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:42 pm
Merlot

Yes. Actually the cat pens look really nice the have climbing post in and a sun roof where they cal lie and take in the rays.
Thanks sam&molly, made me feel better.

Best wishes
M