Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of
Default Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Hello Folks

Its been about 8 months here in Point Cook, Melbourne. So I thought I would post our cost of living per month.

I hope it helps:

3 bed townhouse rental: $1387
Foxtel: $106(platinum package)
VisionAsia: $60 (indian channels)
Broadband: $75(60GB telstra)
Landline: $130 (Telstra)
2 Mobiles: $80 (virgin png and contract)
Water: $18
Electric: $105
Gas: $112

Rental Insurance: $14
Car Insurance: $50
Petrol: $160
Train Ticket: $104 (Zone 1)

Food Shopping: $500(2 of us)
Slab: $54 (Stella)
My lunch money: $240 (i eat out everyday

Grand Total : $3195 per month

All the best
G
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Originally Posted by gsidhu
Hello Folks

Its been about 8 months here in Point Cook, Melbourne. So I thought I would post our cost of living per month.

I hope it helps:

All the best
G
I am in melbourne since 5 months..our cost of living( 2 adults and a baby) is around 3000$ too..can u tell me how u get visionasia?.i wana get indian channels too
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Hello Folks

I hope it helps:

All the best
G
My mortgage is $4000 alone! wow!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve_uk
My mortgage is $4000 alone! wow!
That's more than our net income !!!

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

Slippery : goto http://www.visionasia.com.au/beta/index.php - the dish
is big though usually blocks out the sun.

Steve_Uk: $4000 for a mortgage - wow i was wondering who owned the opera house.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough

Hello Folks

I hope it helps:

All the best
G
WOW!!!!!!!! That is fantastic. We are moving to Melbourne too (hopefully by the end of the year). You have just delivered the most fantastic news! I am so excited. I'm a nurse, my hubby is a HGV driver. We have two kids aged 4 and 6.
Really pleased I came across your thread. Hey Ho! Lets Go!
Cheers!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:59 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou_pete
WOW!!!!!!!! That is fantastic. We are moving to Melbourne too (hopefully by the end of the year). You have just delivered the most fantastic news! I am so excited. I'm a nurse, my hubby is a HGV driver. We have two kids aged 4 and 6.
Really pleased I came across your thread. Hey Ho! Lets Go!
Cheers!
Sadly the above has no entertainment budget ...

There are a lot of bills before you get to this piont, but nice post OP
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

thanks for that it was really useful!

seeing that i think me and the missus can certainly survive
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Looks like I'll have to get a job aswell! I can't believe how much the landline and broadband costs! seems like alot of money to me

Last edited by suzyambrose; Jan 21st 2009 at 4:12 pm. Reason: Wanted to add
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Looks like I'll have to get a job aswell! I can't believe how much the landline and broadband costs! seems like alot of money to me
knowing that i think we could survive just on the missus' wage!

life of luxury for me
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simo429
knowing that i think we could survive just on the missus' wage!

life of luxury for me
Lucky you!!! isn't it a bit rude to gloat at the fact others are less fortunate? You must be one of those people that pretend they're on their mobile when walking past a homeless person.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky you!!! isn't it a bit rude to gloat at the fact others are less fortunate? You must be one of those people that pretend they're on their mobile when walking past a homeless person.
i dont do that i just dont give them money i dont need to pretend!

although i dont think the missus would be too happy about my life of luxury plan, maybe i should wait to get to australia and then she wont be able to do anything about it
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:45 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I can't believe how much the landline and broadband costs! seems like alot of money to me
Me too....seems expensive compared to good old BT.
Are there many different packages?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you do a search on here there's a few different companies mentioned depending on where you live, let's hope there's cheaper alternatives!

I pay about 25 pounds a month at the mo with talktalk for free international calls with my land line and broadband so a deal would be good
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

That's really good info and useful timing for us too.
We fly out on 3rd March and land on 12th (it's not a slow flight, we've got a week in Singapore on the way).

We've managed to secure a managed apartment in South Yarra until the end of April @ $108 per night which will hopefully see us through until our furniture arrives / we can extend for a short while longer.

We have to find jobs yet so I don't know where we will finally end up and I don't really mind as long as there is little commute.

I want to look at broadband and mobiles before we leave so i can get a good deal when we land.
Can anyone advise on contracts v pay as you go for both with no job but with a perm visa?

Thanks
Charlene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.