Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our continuing house saga !

Our continuing house saga !

Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:54 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our continuing house saga !

The house is nearly at lock-up and we were over there the other day and the pier for the porch is a bit twisted and not square.

I had to meet the site manager over there yesterday we showed him and straight away he said the bricks were a dodgy batch and as they weren't all the same size it's quite hard to get it square (we've since been over there and none of the lines are straight there isn't more than five bricks in a row at the end of a run that are even in a straight vertical line) he said we were right about the pier and a rep from the brick company was due there today (Thursday) to have a look, we half said in jest maybe they'll render it and he was very quick to say maybe.

As we were leaving he said he just had to go back to have a word with the bricky.

We've been back today and there are new bricks there and the work at the back while not perfect is considerably better.

Now I know I'm probably paranoid but the fact that he was so quick to say that A) a rep was coming over B) he wouldn't be surprised if they paid for it to be rendered and C) that after this was bought to his attention the work improved, has led me to the conclusion that the work was shoddy and he was relieved to admit it and get away with rendering it and after I left he told the bricky so and his work improved.

Am I right to be paranoid, if not wtf were they doing building my house with a dodgy batch of bricks that were all different lengths and depths.

To be honest I have no idea what to think, although I know which way I'm edging.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our continuing house saga !

Originally Posted by fraser
The house is nearly at lock-up and we were over there the other day and the pier for the porch is a bit twisted and not square.

I had to meet the site manager over there yesterday we showed him and straight away he said the bricks were a dodgy batch and as they weren't all the same size it's quite hard to get it square (we've since been over there and none of the lines are straight there isn't more than five bricks in a row at the end of a run that are even in a straight vertical line) he said we were right about the pier and a rep from the brick company was due there today (Thursday) to have a look, we half said in jest maybe they'll render it and he was very quick to say maybe.

As we were leaving he said he just had to go back to have a word with the bricky.

We've been back today and there are new bricks there and the work at the back while not perfect is considerably better.

Now I know I'm probably paranoid but the fact that he was so quick to say that A) a rep was coming over B) he wouldn't be surprised if they paid for it to be rendered and C) that after this was bought to his attention the work improved, has led me to the conclusion that the work was shoddy and he was relieved to admit it and get away with rendering it and after I left he told the bricky so and his work improved.

Am I right to be paranoid, if not wtf were they doing building my house with a dodgy batch of bricks that were all different lengths and depths.

To be honest I have no idea what to think, although I know which way I'm edging.
Maybe he just wanted an easy life?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:02 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Maybe he just wanted an easy life?
Sorry I don't get what you mean the pier was clearly twisted if you stood in line with it at the bottom you could only see two dimensions but at the top you could see 3 corners, it was he who said it was twisted and who blamed it on to the bricks.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

He sounds like the majority of builders who try to get away with shoddy work and cheap materials, the fact that you noticed probably threw him.

(Not saying that all builders are cowboys, but there are a lot of them about. )
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Our continuing house saga !

Any more photos Fraser? Haven't seen any for a while.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:12 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I suspect he's just being lazy - I've read a few of your 'house saga' posts - seems like it's an uphill struggle with the builders you've got....

Congratulations on your 16000'th post though.... bloody impressive!

Graham
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Any more photos Fraser? Haven't seen any for a while.

Thanks

Buzzy
I'll take some tomorrow and post them.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Our continuing house saga !

I'll take some tomorrow and post them.
Cheers me old china.

Buzzy
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Cheers me old china.

Buzzy
No worries cobber
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear things are still crap on the building front Fraser. Hope things start to improve.

Hows things on the job front? Hope that bits OK
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to knock it down and do it properly.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:34 pm

We've been over there this morning and I can't get my level which is only 80 cm to sit on any vertical and touch it the whole way up.

According to the plans the articulated joints are supposed to be 8-10 mm each one goes from 14-20 mm.

Here are some pictures if you make them big and put a straight edge against them you'll see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails Our continuing house saga !-p1010002.jpg   Our continuing house saga !-p1010003.jpg   Our continuing house saga !-p1010004.jpg   Our continuing house saga !-p1010005.jpg  
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

We've been over there this morning and I can't get my level which is only 80 cm to sit on any vertical and touch it the whole way up.

According to the plans the articulated joints are supposed to be 8-10 mm each one goes from 14-20 mm.

Here are some pictures if you make them big and put a straight edge against them you'll see what I mean.
:scared:

Oh FFS Fraser....I don't wanna add to your stress, but did the brickie come from the institute for the blind

Personally, I'd be talking to a structural engineer and getting a second opinion on that lot. Not good. Not good at all m8
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
:scared:

Oh FFS Fraser....I don't wanna add to your stress, but did the brickie come from the institute for the blind

Personally, I'd be talking to a structural engineer and getting a second opinion on that lot. Not good. Not good at all m8
So it's not just me I was seriously starting to consider that I was going mad, driving back looking at all the houses I can see sharp edges everywhere, not one to be seen at ours.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

So it's not just me I was seriously starting to consider that I was going mad, driving back looking at all the houses I can see sharp edges everywhere, not one to be seen at ours.
It's not the sharp edges I'd be worried about. It's the fact that even without enlarging the pictures, you can see the wall's are not straight

Jeez.....are they paying you for that house Fraser?

You know best, but if it was me...those walls would be coming down reet fast.

I'd give them a timescale by which to re-do it....or else I'd let them know I would organise it. No messing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.