Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our blind date with OZ!!

our blind date with OZ!!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future
Default our blind date with OZ!!

Hi folks!!

I am interseted to hear how many other mad people there are like me :scared: and my family who are emigrating to OZ and have never actually been there???
My sister lives over in OZ and keeps telling us how great it is, so i guess if we HATE it (can't really see that) i suppose i can at least blame her!!!
I'm sure we can't be the only ones!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:58 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: our blind date with OZ!!

Originally Posted by devonfolk
Hi folks!!

I am interseted to hear how many other mad people there are like me :scared: and my family who are emigrating to OZ and have never actually been there???
My sister lives over in OZ and keeps telling us how great it is, so i guess if we HATE it (can't really see that) i suppose i can at least blame her!!!
your'e quite right, you're not the only one we are too and we have no one out there to encourage out there. mind you when the MIL finds out I'm sure she'll big a big obstacle to take off the rose tints

still there's no stopping this run away freight train
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sparks124
your'e quite right, you're not the only one we are too and we have no one out there to encourage out there. mind you when the MIL finds out I'm sure she'll big a big obstacle to take off the rose tints

still there's no stopping this run away freight train
so that makes you madder than us then by my reckoning , at least my mother in law will be glad to see the back of me!!!!!!! unfortunately for my hubby my mum reckons she's on the next plane over!!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:14 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!!

We are all very excited about our adventure ... I know that people think we are nuts .... but we are happy to go for it. We are of course a bit scared as we would be liars if we said any different but I do believe we have just as much chance of settling (or not) as someone who has been there many times and judging from some recent threads, this theory seems to be correct.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:19 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

so that makes you madder than us then by my reckoning , at least my mother in law will be glad to see the back of me!!!!!!! unfortunately for my hubby my mum reckons she's on the next plane over!!
MAD, MAD, I'm not mad this straight jacket is a fashion statement
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:36 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!!

We are 4 months into our application process, and I will be visiting in just over 2 weeks for the first time. We do have family over there, but have only spoken after we started the paperwork.

We have wanted to go for years for a holiday, and last year on holiday in France we said, bollocks, forget the holiday in Oz, lets move out there !!

:scared:
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Us too! We've never been, but my parents have and my they both say, they're sure we'll love it there. My dads cousins kids live there as well, so we do have some family although I've never actually met them. I've read that those who have never been actually fair better, as they have no expectations, and sometimes people who have vacationed expect life to be just like a permanent vacation.

Very excited and very terrified about the adventure ahead of us.

Nicanjoe
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:11 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

This is us too!
I have second cousins in oz but we have never been - and won't be going until our validation trip!
Even though this seems a really mad thing to do i have been surprised that practically everyone we have told has said that they think it is a great idea! When i told my parents their response was that we should go for it and they wished they had done it years ago and they are now talking about joining us out there!

I have no idea if it will work out for us but if you don't try how will you ever know?!!!

Tiggs
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I moved to Sydney at the end of November having never been to Australia before. The day we arrived it was cold and raining and to be honest the place didn't look great, however we got up the next day and the weather had cleared up and I could see why I had come across. We spent the first couple of weeks finding an appartment and getting to know the area and all I can say is I love it. I have had to come back to the UK after only 6 weeks as my father died suddenly but I will definately be going back Sydney already feels more like home than London did. All I can say is go there be open minded about the place.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

So let me get this straight....

...you're moving to a country that you've never so much had a holiday in, all because you've been 'told' it's great?

You must be absolutely crazy! Have you thought about what you'd be giving up in England? Are things really that bad that you have to travel to the other side of the planet?

These are the kind of things that were said to us before we did exactly the same as you two years ago! (Sorry )

Since then we've found jobs, made friends, got married in the Whitsundays, bought a house and are now applying for citizenship.

Before we left England, Young_Lass' father was devastated that his daughter was moving so far away. He's since been out to visit us and said, 'If you ever come back to England, I'll kick both your arses'. (That's his way of saying we made a great move coming here and he'd move here in a shot if he could. )

But at the moment, there's no chance of us going back to England. Melbourne's fantastic and I hope there isn't ever a reason why we 'have' to go back.

I often think along the lines of, "Thank God we didn't take the 'safe' option"

Sounds like you've already decided you are coming to Australia - so good luck!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:12 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

We came over having never visited, no family here - didn't know what to expect. But we didn't own our own house in UK - so not that much to loose really! Wanted to go home when we arrived in Melbourne and wondered what the hell we'd done...(sorry to all of you Melbournians) - too like outer London for my likeing - luckily just visiting distant rellies of my Hubby's. Got to our destination in Qld and instantly fell in love, thank heavens.
We love it here and would not go back to UK, this is our home now.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:33 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Thats certainly a brave move.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:28 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

We moved over in May having never visited before... Sold everything apart from shipping a bit of furniture and personal effects over, so we were lucky that we took to the place and loved it straight away!

Gav's gone back there now to work (for a month in Ireland) and all I can say is that I certainly didn't want to go back with him... not at all...
While he's over there he's pining for the beach and some sun and warm weather :-) but at least he's happy he got to see his parents last weekend, and is visiting mates back in Leeds this weekend too... He'll be very happy to get back here again.

(At least the guinness is tasty over there though, unlike here )
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

The place is fantastic, so no matter if it's your first visit or your tenth it's still there to be discovered. Come out with a good bit of common sense and you will love it. All the best .
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it! It's great.

However, if you are one of the unlucky buggers who fall foul of the following:

1) Miss family and friends - the biggy
2) or you move to the wrong part of any place and thus get the worst impression of everything
3) or just don't get Australia..

or

3) Miss Asda
4) Miss Pubs

then you could be right royally stuffed....

so be careful that you will actually fit in here. It's not just beaches and bar-b-ques and all year summer (unless you're in the North in which case you won't get long summer nights anyhow so may feel depressed anyhow)

Just make sure.

cheers

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.