Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our biggest worry

Our biggest worry

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our biggest worry

Our biggest worry is getting out there and not being able to get a reasonable paid job. We did a cost of living check and we need to earn about A$90k. The average wage apparently in Perth is about A$45k. How do Mr and Mrs Average Australian survive. Our friends net about A$4k and they have a miniscule mortgage by our standards (UK). They survive on that fairly well but don't really have a lot left for extras.

The job hubby has cannot really be labelled, the organisation he works for has 3 -5 year posts and you usually then move to another dept, all of this is based around telecoms/it/techsecurity/networking/fibreoptics etc the list goes on.

Trawling through jobs on the net does not give any idea of pay scales unless its a government job with starting salary of a$36k. So its very difficult to find out whether this would be a good move for us. As I said before we are still going ahead with the process though because if we leave it much longer then we would lose valuable points on age.

We would really like to do this but we are nervous about giving up a very secure and fairly well paid job, comfortable lifestyle etc to find ourselves being poor in Oz. But I am fed up with our weather, the increasing amount of crime etc.

Ok thats my rant, is it worth sending a cv out to Agencies to see what sort of salary he could comand.

Thanks
Mrs Pom
Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:53 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our biggest worry

Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
Our biggest worry is getting out there and not being able to get a reasonable paid job. We did a cost of living check and we need to earn about A$90k. The average wage apparently in Perth is about A$45k. How do Mr and Mrs Average Australian survive. Our friends net about A$4k and they have a miniscule mortgage by our standards (UK). They survive on that fairly well but don't really have a lot left for extras.

The job hubby has cannot really be labelled, the organisation he works for has 3 -5 year posts and you usually then move to another dept, all of this is based around telecoms/it/techsecurity/networking/fibreoptics etc the list goes on.

Trawling through jobs on the net does not give any idea of pay scales unless its a government job with starting salary of a$36k. So its very difficult to find out whether this would be a good move for us. As I said before we are still going ahead with the process though because if we leave it much longer then we would lose valuable points on age.

We would really like to do this but we are nervous about giving up a very secure and fairly well paid job, comfortable lifestyle etc to find ourselves being poor in Oz. But I am fed up with our weather, the increasing amount of crime etc.

Ok thats my rant, is it worth sending a cv out to Agencies to see what sort of salary he could comand.

Thanks
Mrs Pom
Don't expect crime to be any different, and don't expect not to be sick of the weather. You might be for different reasons

Obviously it is easier if you have a job before you go, but just make sure you have the means to get back. When I came to the UK, I have a return ticket for a few months down the line just in case. I didn't need it, but it was comforting to know that I had it and could leave if I needed to.

Also different people have different expectations. I don't think I get paid any more or any less than some of the people I work with, yet they will complain about being skint even if we might have similar mortgages and commitments etc.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

this has got PB's name written all over it...;-)

wait till the morning .....

cheers

richard

Last edited by r.bartlett; Aug 5th 2003 at 7:56 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Default Hey R.Bartlett

Really I am not PB, i am genuine just feeling very torn, half of me is worried that we are throwing money down the drain with the application process because we just could not up sticks and sell up take our kids out of school and everything else if we were going to struggle so wonder if there is any point going through with it, the other half of me listens to my friends talk about their wonderful lifestyle. Reads the really excited messages on this forum and desparately wants to go.

Also there is the guilt aspect of leaving your family behind.

Having said all that I lived in Washington DC for a number of years and loved it, only came back because I got married but initially hated life because I felt like I had made a big mistake coming back to the UK. Not I hasten to add did I think I had made a mistake marrying my husband. He was the same and we really pined for the US, I think it probably took us a good five years to get over that move back here.

So no I am not PB, just someone trying to not dream too much of a big house, no mortgage and lots of money. Can probably have big house, no mortgage but not lots of money. I can tell you if we won the lottery you wouldn't stop me. It really comes down to how we will manage financially.

Regards
Mrs Pom

PS

Actually that is our only worry. We are used to moving around and I have no worries re the kids, I moved a few times as a child and always settled in and made friends. In fact I feel quite claustrophobic at the thought of living in one place for years on end.

Last edited by Mr&MrsPom; Aug 5th 2003 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Don't worry folks,

I think Richard was just suggesting that PB would spend most of his "working" day responding to this, well, cut and pasting anyway.

I know what you mean though. Being able to buy a house for cash is no good if 6 months later you have to sell it just to eat!

All I can say to you is both myself and my wife have family there. Hers are in WA and mine in QLD. They been there between 3 and 25 years. All have a reasonably solid lifestyle, all are happy and none would ever consider returning to the UK unless on holiday.

I'm pretty certain you have to expect a cut in materialistic spending. The wages are lower and not everything is cheaper than the UK although the thought of not having a mortgage is pretty sweet.

It's a major change of lifestyle from the UK and most people here have accepted a drop in income as a reasonable price for that change.

All the best to you whatever you decide.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hey R.Bartlett

But I am fed up with our weather, the increasing amount of crime etc.

No he's not saying you are PB, just that you have set yourself up for a PB response.
I think you have answered yourself really. Sort out the job first, what are the implications of not getting a similar well paid job, and is the life style change worth the hassle and what you really want. If you are seriously saying that the reasons for moving are crime and the weather in the UK, then be prepared for some honest replies. Best of luck either way
LMS
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:37 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hey R.Bartlett

Really I am not PB, i am genuine just feeling very torn, half of me is worried that we are throwing money down the drain with the application process because we just could not up sticks and sell up take our kids out of school and everything else if we were going to struggle so wonder if there is any point going through with it, the other half of me listens to my friends talk about their wonderful lifestyle. Reads the really excited messages on this forum and desparately wants to go.

Also there is the guilt aspect of leaving your family behind.

Having said all that I lived in Washington DC for a number of years and loved it, only came back because I got married but initially hated life because I felt like I had made a big mistake coming back to the UK. Not I hasten to add did I think I had made a mistake marrying my husband. He was the same and we really pined for the US, I think it probably took us a good five years to get over that move back here.

So no I am not PB, just someone trying to not dream too much of a big house, no mortgage and lots of money. Can probably have big house, no mortgage but not lots of money. I can tell you if we won the lottery you wouldn't stop me. It really comes down to how we will manage financially.

Regards
Mrs Pom

PS

Actually that is our only worry. We are used to moving around and I have no worries re the kids, I moved a few times as a child and always settled in and made friends. In fact I feel quite claustrophobic at the thought of living in one place for years on end.

Australia is full of bullshit the old standby when you question low wages , high taxes , lack of good jobs , double paying for health care is look at the weather and beaches .
Looking at the weather in the UK right now would 35c-45c suit you 3 months of the year and Winter is cold and damp so are the houses that lack heating and insulation.
All the bull you get from friends out here is shallow bollocks to try and make them feel better about being here.
People in the Uk seem to find money to holiday to Australia no problem to go the other way is a big deal to most refugees here , the fact is money is tight in Australia .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 5th 2003 at 11:41 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

There are a whole host of reasons why it would be better to be in Oz than here but then again there are reasons why the uk is better but you know what I miss about DC. Having to wear sunglasses in the winter because despite the cold its lovely bright and sunny and basically when you have bright blue skies and sunshine your spirits automatically lift. Daft I know but there you go thats me. That is one of the things that my friends mention in our frequent (daily) phonecalls, that despite the cold (15oC) its still beautiful and sunny.

Last edited by Mr&MrsPom; Aug 5th 2003 at 11:45 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Much as thre will be a flood of disagreement to follow, a good starting point is to convert your existing salary into $A. If you can get an income no less than about 70 - 75% of that you should be OK, otherwise it's cut back time.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:48 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

There are a whole host of reasons why it would be better to be in Oz than here but then again there are reasons why the uk is better but you know what I miss about DC. Having to wear sunglasses in the winter because despite the cold its lovely bright and sunny and basically when you have bright blue skies and sunshine your spirits automatically lift. Daft I know but there you go thats me. That is one of the things that my friends mention in our frequent (daily) phonecalls, that despite the cold (15oC) its still beautiful and sunny.
Dream it its black and dull with rain on the way in Perth right now not worn sun glasses since April , your friends speak with forked tounges.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Well Jayr, thanks for that tip, have worked it out and it compares to the cost of living calucator.

Well there is a long road ahead, hey we might not even get the visa and then there won't be a decision to make will there!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Most of the Bullshit PB is talking about is leaving mid August (he's slinging his hook back to Blighty another failed refugee).

A lot of people who move out here love it (me for one) and a lot hate it (PB), you need to decide your reason for moving, if it's lifestyle you should be ok, if it's career most people are dissappointed.

If your husband has specify skills in demand you might be able to find an employer willing to sponsor him with a Work visa, rather than go the PR route. That way at least you will have a job to come too and know the deal your getting.

The bad news is most agencies won't look at you untill you have permission to work here, so it means applying for jobs direct to the companies, not an easy way of doing it but not impossible either.

Good luck either way, it's a big decision.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:04 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Most of the Bullshit PB is talking about is leaving mid August (he's slinging his hook back to Blighty another failed refugee).

A lot of people who move out here love it (me for one) and a lot hate it (PB), you need to decide your reason for moving, if it's lifestyle you should be ok, if it's career most people are dissappointed.

Good luck either way, it's a big decision.
You seem to be the master of bull , see no evil , speak no , hear no evil and hide away from a real job , sums you up Pal.

Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Need to agree a bit with PB on this one, today is lovely & sunny but we have grey days and rain that certainly do not lift the spirit.
I haven't had my sunnies on since April either.

My husband is still struggling to find well paid employment four months down the line. He's got a temp job but it pays peanuts and our combined wages don't cover our living expenses totally.

Other people have had had better luck and have found work quicker but many I know have switched careers or are making do until something better comes along.

You do need to be aware that things may not go smoothly and have something to fall back on, BUT depending on where you are heading, you may be lucky. It is a risk.

Saying all that though, I am still very glad we're here & am enjoying it. There are still lots of positives to make it worthwhile for us.

Don't let it put you off, just be prepared. If you don't do it will you spend the rest of your life saying "what if....?'.

Good luck

Loopy
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

If you are the type of person who loved the USA, washington DC, is Perth not going to be the complete opposite, isolated, remote, hardly lively by all accounts from my husband who lived there and many friends too.

Would have thought somewhere a bit more lively such as Sydney/ Melbourne even Brisbane has improved a lot in last couple of years. What makes Perth your choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.