Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about
Default Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

I've just posted on the Immigration section the fact that our ENS PR Visa has been granted today (21/07/2005), this has taken 4.5yrs of highs, lows, tears, stress and frustration!

My wife and I decided that should we ever GET IT then we would TIMELINE our story (as breifly as possible) in the hope that it would inspire others, so here goes:

Sept/Oct 2000 our 1st visit to Australia visiting family and friends in Adelaide & Perth. Quite simply we fell in love with Australia!
At that time my wife was a Police Constable and I was/still am a Paramedic. We visited WA & SA Police HQ, sadly, was informed at that time they did't sponsor overseas Police Officers, you had to be an Aussie Citizen or be a Permanent Resisdent.
None of the Australian Ambulance Services didn' and I believe still do not offer sponsorship to overseas Paramedics.
Two ambulance service job descriptions are on the SOL, however, they are only worth 40 points each.

Nov/Dec 2000 I gathered together my entire Ambulance Service career history and sent it to VETASSESS, Melbourne for a skills assessment.
Feb 2001 I received a negative assessment from VETASSESS informing me that my application was not equivalent to at least an Australian AQF Diploma, the minimum requirement.

Following numerous discussion with my wife, family in Australia and researching the www this is what we decided to do:

Sadly, for various reasons my 1st cousin in Australia was unable to sponsor me, his son a business owner was too far removed to sponsor me.
After over 10yrs in the Police my wife fancied a career change and had always fancied nursing (my influence I'm sure :-)). Meanwhile I had researched how to enrole with the Charles Sturt University, NSW in a Diploma of Health Science (Pre-Hospital Care) Conversion, a conversion because they recognised my prior learning, this was to cost me/us nearly £2000!
Obviously, going from a PC to a student nurse was a MASSIVE financial blow, with this in mind and our ultimate goal of getting to Australia we sold our home and downsized from a 3 bed semi to a terraced house.
Sept 2001 my wife took a career break from Policing and started her nursing career as a full-time student and I started my diploma via distance learning whilst working full-time.
Dec 2002 I finished my diploma and sent my academic transcript to VETASSESS.
Feb 2003 I receive a POSITIVE assessment from VETASSESS:-)
This meant I could now claim my 40 points for my job description from the SOL. Sadly, I could not get to the required points on the Skilled Independant Visa and my Australian family were still unable to sponsor me. A massive low point. Worse was to come.
May 2003 my wife was diagnosed with cancer, obviously my/our only concern was how bad was it!
Sophia had to undergo major surgery followed by 5 weeks of radiotherapy. We had hopeful plans that on completeing her nursing we would try to start a family, sadly the surgery and RT put an end to this dream. Following the initial blow of the diagnosis this was hard for both of us but as you ladies will know a massive blow to any woman.
Our Australia dream was forgotten about and saving Sophia was now our prioity.
Sophia had 4 months off and was back coursed 4 months.
Sept 2003 Sophia's treatment was over, strength was returning, and was back being a student nurse again, something she loved:-)

FATE LENDS A HAND! July 2004 I was given the 'nod' by one of my managers that an Australian Ambulance Officer was visitng our new combined (Ambulance/Police/Fire) HQ/Control room on a fact finding mission. After some help it was arranged that I could meet with this man in my HQ. We met for 40mins where I was able to present him my resume. He kindly offered to take my wife and I out for dinner that night as it was his LAST day in the UK following a 4 week trip and was flying back to Australia the following day. Was this meeting meant to be or what!
Over dinner everyting we'd done/gone thru wa explained. He said he would look what he could do but wouldn't/couldn't promise anything.
Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2004 numerous emails, phone calls, faxes and my entire career history forward to his service for Equivalance of Qualifications Assessment.
Jan 2005 as a treat for each other we visited Perth, Adelaide & Brisbane. My 10 days in Brisbane was spent completing psychometric assessments, fitness assessments, an hour long panel interview(7am), lifting and handling assessment, practical skills assessment and meetings with HR people! Some holiday you'll agree.
The day before we flew back I met with the Assistant Commissioner. He informed me I had passed everything and that they would use me as a 'test case' for employer sponsorship, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
Feb/March/April 2005, PCC, Medicals carried out. Early April Australian Ambulance Service confirmed they were allowed to sponsor me. Ozgo migration agent appointed.
Late April front-loaded ENS PR Visa application submitted.
Today unbelievably ENS PR Visa granted.

In a nut shell we hope our story will give YOU whoever you are a HUGE lift in your endevours to gain your Australian Permanent Residency!

Best Wishes

Keebs (Brian & Sophia)

PS Sorry for rambling, spelling mistakes and the length.

Last edited by Keebs; Jul 22nd 2005 at 9:41 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Originally Posted by Keebs
I've just posted on the Immigration section the fact that our ENS PR Visa has been granted today (21/07/2005), this has taken 4.5yrs of highs, lows, tears, stress and frustration!

My wife and I decided that should we ever GET IT then we would TIMELINE our story (as breifly as possible) in the hope that it would inspire others, so here goes:

Sept/Oct 2000 our 1st visit to Australia visiting family and friends in Adelaide & Perth. Quite simply we fell in love with Australia!
At that time my wife was a Police Constable and I was/still am a Paramedic. We visited WA & SA Police HQ, sadly, was informed at that time they did't sponsor overseas Police Officers, you had to be an Aussie Citizen or be a Permanent Resisdent.
None of the Australian Ambulance Services didn' and I believe still do not offer sponsorship to overseas Paramedics.
Two ambulance service job descriptions are on the SOL, however, they are only worth 40 points each.

Nov/Dec 2000 I gathered together my entire Ambulance Service career history and sent it to VETASSESS, Melbourne for a skills assessment.
Feb 2001 I received a negative assessment from VETASSESS informing me that my application was not equivalent to at least an Australian AQF Diploma, the minimum requirement.

Following numerous discussion with my wife, family in Australia and researching the www this is what we decided to do:

Sadly, for various reasons my 1st cousin in Australia was unable to sponsor me, his son a business owner was too far removed to sponsor me.
After over 10yrs in the Police my wife fancied a career change and had always fancied nursing (my influence I'm sure :-)). Meanwhile I had researched how to enrole with the Charles Sturt University, NSW in a Diploma of Health Science (Pre-Hospital Care) Conversion, a conversion because they recognised my prior learning, this was to cost me/us nearly £2000!
Obviously, going from a PC to a student nurse was a MASSIVE financial blow, with this in mind and our ultimate goal of getting to Australia we sold our home and downsized from a 3 bed semi to a terraced house.
Sept 2001 my wife took a career break from Policing and started her nursing career as a full-time student and I started my diploma via distance learning whilst working full-time.
This meant I could now claim my 40 points for my job description from the SOL. Sadly, I could not get to the required points on the Skilled Independant Visa and my Australian family were still unable to sponsor me. A massive low point. Worse was to come.
May 2003 my wife was diagnosed with cancer, obviously my/our only concern was how bad was it!
Sophia had to undergo major surgery followed by 5 weeks of radiotherapy. We had hopeful plans that on completeing her nursing we would try to start a family, sadly the surgery and RT put an end to this dream. Following the initial blow of the diagnosis this was hard for both of us but as you ladies will know a massive blow to any woman.
Sept 2003 Sophia's treatment was over, strength was returning, and was back being a student nurse again, something she loved:-)

FATE LENDS A HAND! July 2004 I was given the 'nod' by one of my managers that an Australian Ambulance Officer was visitng our new combined (Ambulance/Police/Fire) HQ/Control room on a fact finding mission. After some help it was arranged that I could meet with this man in my HQ. We met for 40mins where I was able to present him my resume. He kindly offered to take my wife and I out for dinner that night as it was his LAST day in the UK following a 4 week trip and was flying back to Australia the following day. Was this meeting meant to be or what!
Over dinner everyting we'd done/gone thru wa explained. He said he would look what he could do but wouldn't/couldn't promise anything.
Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2004 numerous emails, phone calls, faxes and my entire career history forward to his service for Equivalance of Qualifications Assessment.
Jan 2005 as a treat for each other we visited Perth, Adelaide & Brisbane. My 10 days in Brisbane was spent completing psychometric assessments, fitness assessments, an hour long panel interview(7am), lifting and handling assessment, practical skills assessment and meetings with HR people! Some holiday you'll agree.
The day before we flew back I met with the Assistant Commissioner. He informed me I had passed everything and that they would use me as a 'test case' for employer sponsorship, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

What an uplifting story.

I am so glad that you have manage to get what you wanted despite all the hardships and setbacks, it was surely meant to be.

I hope you have a wonderful life in australia and have left the bad times behind.
Karma to you.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:35 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Inspiring - thanks for taking the time to write it all out. I'm in awe of you completely! I hope you wife continues to remain healthy and is able to practice as a nurse in Oz - is this your plan.
Good luck in your new lives.!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Hi Webgum,

Thank you for your kind words about my wife. Yes, Sophia hopes to continue in her new career, either as a nurse in the Emergency Department or a Community Nurse.

I've got my job lined up as a Paramedic in Brisbane. At the moment we intend to live just north of Brisbane (30-40Km) as this is where our friends/support network are.

Best Wishes

Keebs.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Brian & Sophia, I am in awe.

Thanks for sharing.

Very best of luck in the new adventure
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Inspirational. Many congratulations on the visa. Very pleased your wife is now well and hopefully stays that way.

I think this is a post that Paul (Jim2004) needs printed out next to his computer. Proof that with enough hope, effort and luck you can get what you want however gloomy it all looks.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

congratulations and good luck with your new life in oz. i am so glad your wife is recovered and doing a job she loves, that means so much.

Last edited by KatieStar; Jul 22nd 2005 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:32 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Brian and Sophia,

What an amazing story!

I used to think my visa journey was a long and winding one (1995 first started seriously working towards coming to Aus, one professional qualification and a Masters degree later, eventually got PR visa 2003) but it's nothing like as inspirational as yours.

Just goes to show that you can achieve pretty much anything if you're really determined...

Congratulations on finally getting your visa, I'm sure your new life will be worth all the effort and trauma.

All the best

Elaine M
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:54 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a story!
I wish you both all the luck in the world. Enjoy your new life, and I hope that your wife stays healthy

Julie
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:59 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! This puts our hurdles to get over into perspective. It shows what you can do if determined enough. Thank you for posting this and wishing you both health and happiness in your new life in Oz.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice
Smile Re: Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Feb/March/April 2005, PCC, Medicals carried out. Early April Australian Ambulance Service confirmed they were allowed to sponsor me. Ozgo migration agent appointed.

In a nut shell we hope our story will give YOU whoever you are a HUGE lift in your endevours to gain your Australian Permanent Residency!

Best Wishes

Keebs (Brian & Sophia)

what a wonderful story..... you both deserve all the luck in the world

I wish you both every happiness and your wife's continued health.

You deserve it !!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Wish you the best of luck in your new life in Brisbane, you deserve it. Hope it's all you've dreamed of and more !

Judy
x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:16 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Best Wishes

Keebs (Brian & Sophia)

Brian and Sophia
Your story has brought me to tears!! What an inspiration. Despite everything you have been through together you never gave up on your dream and I hope it lives up to everything you hope for - sounds like you deserve a bit of peace in your lives!

Thanks for sharing this with everyone and I wish you a long, happy and healthy new life in Brisbane.

Carolyn
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

See dreams do come true. Hope its everything and more than you hoped for. Thankyou for sharing you are truly inspirational
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

tonyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Best Wishes

Keebs (Brian & Sophia)

SO HAPPAY FOR YOU,best of luck tonyy+wife+kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.