Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Wikiposts

our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:31 am
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by gary stewart
Hi Selina, enjoyed your post made us feel more positive about our big move 2 oz.Still unsure what area of Sunshine C bearing in mind OH is a forklift driver/ storeman and needs 2 be near this kind of work. I should be ok i am a hairdresser!
Julie :scared:

Hi Selina

Do you know of opportunities for accountant in that area.

Thank you
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gary stewart
Hi Selina, enjoyed your post made us feel more positive about our big move 2 oz.Still unsure what area of Sunshine C bearing in mind OH is a forklift driver/ storeman and needs 2 be near this kind of work. I should be ok i am a hairdresser!
Julie :scared:
hi julie, there are always loads of jobs for hairdressers here. as for storeman/ forklift truck driver i'm not sure whether he will need to apply for a licence here for that or do a course or test maybe with the somehwere like the MWT group or college of warehousing. don't rely on the TRA to prove your skills always make sure you know what you will have to do to be able to work in that profession before you get here so there will be no nasty surpirses.
all of the sunshine coast is lovely from what i''ve seen. i'm sure you will find the right place for you once you get here and have a look around.
good luck. selina x
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi selina

thanks for the info

we will be out there early oct so i`m reading all the
"our experiances to date" posts

regards steve
Hey steve'o
We're going early oct as well (13th), when are you going and are you flying london - brisbane?

And excellent post selina, keep us up to date on your new life!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:41 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, very informative. Sounds like you've settled well and done a lot in your first month.

All the best for the future.

Joex

Last edited by mark 'n' joe; Aug 7th 2006 at 1:41 am. Reason: Spelling - doh!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by foopsy
Hi Selina

Do you know of opportunities for accountant in that area.

Thank you
loads of adverts in the sunshine coast for accountants, just check out this website www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au

from my experience the pay is always negotiable. i've been offered loads of jobs and i am seeing who will pay the most before i decide where my next job will be. the one i am in at the moment was not what i really wanted so i finish there this week and will move on to bigger and better things next week. selina
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

What a great post and very imformative . Glad you are settling in well.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:47 am
dcm
Account Closed

dcm is an unknown quantity at this point

good to see that you have settled so quickly
we fly out on the 19th and arrive Buderim on the 24th (of this month) -getting excited and nervous all at the same time.

I'm a nurse and have no plans to work until Jan/Feb (its taking so long to get registered with QNC i've decided to enjoy my time off ) - so i'll have plenty of free time if you ever want to meet up for a glass of something chilled

Debbie

Last edited by dcm; Aug 7th 2006 at 4:49 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:22 am
Just Joined

LOL+MICH is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post Selina glad to here you have settled so well. We are due to arrive on the Sunshine Coast on the 1st of September. So pleased your husband got a job so easily.I am a bricklayer by trade but will do just about anything!! Our kids are 13 and 10 and I think you are right about signing them up for clubs so they meet mates. Here they both play football and roller hockey. They have a better social life than us!! See you in Buderim.. Lol, Michelle and kids.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Fantastic post - glad to hear it's all working out. We have our visa and if the house sells will move to sunshine coast in January. We went there on holiday and decided it was so great that we plan to move there and then find work rather than find a job and move wherever that is. It's a stressful but exciting time and it really helps to get tips from someone who has already done it.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

my god there are loads of you coming to the sunshine coast. YOU WON'T REGRET IT! it is lovely here. just be prepared for a hectic 4-6 weeks when you arrive. sorting out a rental, jobs, medicare, TFN, schools, cars, furniture etc. all takes time and it's no holiday believe me. once you have got over the initial sorting out period you settle down to real life. if you can afford to take 4 weeks off work then i would do no questions. we had enough money not to start work so quickly but because we had heard on the forum that it was hard to find work on the sunshine coast we took jobs as soon as we were offered them as we were worried we would not find anything else. this is not the case there are loads of jobs here and employers are falling over thenselves to get you. that's goes for both of us. i'm a nurse and neil is a painter.
just do your research before you come. send your cv to all the places that are advertising before you come then when you arrive play one employer off against the other for better pay. then tell them when you want to start. they will wait for you if they really want you.
good luck to you all. see you on the sunshine coast soon! selina x
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

eddie scrafton is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, great post.

And there does seem to be a lot of Brits coming across to the Sunshine Coast recently.

My family and I arrived here last Dec and we love it.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

rach_and_doc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by selina
Hi all, here’s our experience so far.

Flight
We flew with Malaysian Airlines (£366 one way). The flight was on time and plenty of leg room. The food was OK just typical airline food, nothing special. Most of the flight was at night time so lights were off most of the way so we slept well. Stopped over in KL airport for around 6 hours so booked into one of the lounges. Would advise anyone to do the same as we had showers, comfy chairs to snooze on, free food and drink and internet connection to email home etc. The flight from KL was great, me and hubby (Neil) had 3 seats to ourselves and my son (Luke) had 5 seats as the flight was nearly empty so we could stretch out and sleep.

1st week spent in Brisbane
As planned we spent the first week in Brisbane in the Manhattan on Newstead apartments. The apartments were lovely and in a good location as Newstead is really central. You can get the bus of ferry to the city in a few minutes. It’s also very easy to access the motorway to get to the Sunshine and Gold Coast. Bev who works at the apartments, and is a Brit herself, was very helpful in giving directions and the info we needed. We spent this week activating bank accounts, buying mobiles etc and looking for a car. We had opened an account with ANZ online before we came and have found them excellent so far. Used Ozforex to transfer our money and again excellent, the transaction was easy to do and no problems with it. Found a car, well it is a van really, as Neil is a painter and the dealer sorted out reg for us so no problem there. Visited the Gold Coast and the beaches were great but when we visited the Sunshine Coast we realised that this was the place for us. Luckily we had already thought this would be the case and had a 2 week holiday rental booked there for when out week in Brisbane was up. Didn’t look around the Brissy suburbs as we don’t have city jobs so why live in the city when you can be near the beach!

Car hire
We used East Coast Rentals for our car hire. This cost $230 (for 1 week) this included extra insurance cover to bring the excess down. The car we had was OK for getting around and the service was good. The van we bought from Mercedes was due in but not ready for us to take it when our car hire finished so Mercedes loaned us a really nice Merc until it was ready, that was a result and saved us a few $$$.
Apartment on the Sunshine Coast
Our apartment was right on the sea front at Cotton Tree and was huge. 2 bed, 2 bath and a really big outside entertainment are as we were on the ground floor. It was really nice but a bit like a 70’s shag pad as there were mirrors everywhere! This cost $1100 for 2 weeks it would have been $ 900 but one of the weeks was in School Holidays so it cost more.

Finding a rental
This was not as bad as I expected. We picked up rental lists from all the agents the drove around to look at them from the outside. Some looked awful and others OK. Found one in Buderim that was also up for sale for $470k, way overpriced in my opinion. When we looked inside we thought ‘yes, this will do us’. It is a townhouse, only 1 year old, on the top of Buderim, 3 bed, 2 bath with great sea views. They wanted $320 pw for it and we offered $280 and they accepted it so her we are. No problem not having references. Bought loads of stuff like fridge, washing machine, sofa etc. Most shops here you barter on the price. Everything except finance is classed as cash here and for cash you take off around 10-20% of the retail price so you can get some good deals.

Kids
Luke is 17, and started at the Sunshine Coast University 1 week after we arrived which we arranged by email from the UK. He loves it there and has made friends easily. He has played several games of football (soccer) since arriving and is now playing in the 1st div and the coach from Queensland Roar watched him play and wants him to trial for their club. He played to a high standard back in the UK, and played for premier league clubs when he was younger so should do well here. It has helped that for 1 that he wanted to come here and 2 he has something so focus on ie,: uni and football.

Work
Neil has had no problem finding work as a painter. In fact they have been ringing him constantly asking when he can start. He has started work in week 2 with a contractor on $25 ph which seems to be the going rate. He says the work is just really ‘toshing’ but it pays the bills for now. I have had several offers of work, being a nurse. Most of which have been part-time or casual. Sent my CV off to various places and have had 5 job offer so far this week! Have started one job already and the money is good but not sure it’s what I really want so I’m keeping my options open.

Homesickness
Well to be honest we don’t really feel like we’ve left the UK. Have spoken to family probably more than we did when we were in the UK. Oz is not that different really just little things. Don’t really miss anything yet, but we may do in time. The biggest change, for me anyway, is supermarkets. Have tried them all and find Woolworths the best for me and luckily there is one 100 metres up the road from our rental. Went to a local meet market to stock up the freezer and spent $150 on a whole shopping trolley full of stuff which will keep us going for at least 3 months.

General Stuff
Have looked around various areas around the Sunshine Coast and ventured inland to areas like Gympie and Nambour. The more inland you go the more Hicksville it becomes. I mean rednecks with goatees and no shoes on. Mind you see this is everywhere to be honest, even in the big shopping complex, the Plaza in Maroochydore, people walk around with no shoes on. It’s quite refreshing actually! All in all there seems to be something here to suit everyones taste. The beaches are out of this world and the people we have met have been very welcoming. I feel that we will have no problem calling the Sunshine Coast home.

Advice
To those venturing down the emigration path this is my advise. Research as much as you can, we had never been to Oz before so that was all we had to go on, research off the internet and get personal recommendations on car hire, banks, shipping etc. if you have kids that don’t really want to make the move make sure they have school, uni, sports clubs to get involved with as soon as they arrive to help them make friends asap. Take your time, if you can afford to take the 1st month weighing up jobs and areas then do so, don’t rush into anything as you may regret it later.
This is just my opinion, so don’t slate me for it but, regret the things you didn’t do not the things you did do.
Well that’s it from me folks and I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Selina xxx

cant agree enough... we have been out here in brisbane for 8 weeks now, and the kids are happy, the other half is happy, so that makes me very happy cant recommend it enough... now if i could only find a job ....
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent enjoyable and useful post Selina. The effort you made in researching and planning has surely paid dividends. Everyone says the Sunshine Coast is a great place to live, but my relatives live in the Sydney Northern Beaches area which is nice but expensive......so there we go!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:24 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Im amazed my husband is still talking to me your experience is the total opposite of mine

i blame my hormones
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:47 pm
good karma

sbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nicesbond is just really nice
Wink Re: our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Hi Selina,
Congratulations on such a smooth move - maybe you can set up your own little business helping others move to the Sunshine Coast!

After 6 years at the coast, we're just about to move closer to Brisbane, as that's where most of our business is now. So for all the newies, we just posted in the classifieds section an ad for our house and land (3.5 acres). 5 bedrooms and room for a horse, but only 5 minutes drive to Peregian Beach. Would suit someone wanting to work from home also - with huge office/family room and parking for visitors. Here's the ad - http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...cat=500&page=1

Best wishes,
steph

Last edited by sbond; Sep 24th 2006 at 6:20 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.